Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
listen mate, don't mean to be rude or start trouble, but i hardly think companies as large and powerful (and with HUGE r&d budgets) as the treks, giants, specializeds, etc. of the world are looking at bit players like kona for inspiration in frame technology...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
dj,

explain where the frame is ripping off a Kona please?

unsymmetrical chain stays are a lift from the Cake, and the linkage a modified fuel which has been around for ages.

There are only so many ways that you can linkage suspension and there is nothing too special about Kona to set themselves apart either. . . . at the end of the day its a single pivot like Kona, a design which manyother brands had done before Kona too.

Get over it.
 

·
Art is Resistance
Joined
·
10,375 Posts
donboyfisher said:
dj,

explain where the frame is ripping off a Kona please?

unsymmetrical chain stays are a lift from the Cake, and the linkage a modified fuel which has been around for ages.

There are only so many ways that you can linkage suspension and there is nothing too special about Kona to set themselves apart either. . . . at the end of the day its a single pivot like Kona, a design which manyother brands had done before Kona too.

Get over it.
the asymemetrical stays are a lift from a Cake? Oh... wow, i had never thought of it that way. What year did the Cake come out again? I don't remember off the top of my head.

What year did the Stinky come out? 1998? Weird. So that would make the Cake just a lift from the... No wait, that's just crazy!
 

·
Art is Resistance
Joined
·
10,375 Posts
TrekFan said:
listen mate, don't mean to be rude or start trouble, but i hardly think companies as large and powerful (and with HUGE r&d budgets) as the treks, giants, specializeds, etc. of the world are looking at bit players like kona for inspiration in frame technology...
I would normally agree with you, and that's why this is so surprising, and a little funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
there are plenty of other brands doing the same . . . look a specialized Epic - asymmetrical stays there too. . . .

its not exactly rocket science to have the asymmetrical stays. the drive side one simply drops lower to avoid the front mech when the suspension activates. i'd hardly call that sort of thinking of " we need to move it to stop it fowling the mech " a magical design brilliance which Kona ( and I dont know if it was Kona that first brought it out ) should be fiercly applauded for to the exclusion of all other brands doing the same? At the end of the day, like i've already said, the Kona chain stay is a single pivot, and no more special than any other single pivot out there ( many of which came well before Kona's did )

heck, it'd be like saying that the first frame designer to make curves in the chain stays allow bigger tyres should be the only designer to ever use it.

like i say, get over it.
 

·
Person
Joined
·
775 Posts
djcrb9 said:
the asymemetrical stays are a lift from a Cake? Oh... wow, i had never thought of it that way. What year did the Cake come out again? I don't remember off the top of my head.

What year did the Stinky come out? 1998? Weird. So that would make the Cake just a lift from the... No wait, that's just crazy!
The Kona Stinky's are a Turner rip-off.

There's only so many ways to design a suspension bike these days.
 

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
Joined
·
369 Posts
Diddnt see it mentioned, but will the Fisher Race Day FS 29'r also use G2 (like the non 29 inch version) and have a custom manitou fork (they only mentioned 2 forks and i dont theink either was a 29 inch one)
 

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
Joined
·
369 Posts
Nater said:
The Race Day 29ers are slated to be speced with the existing 29er Rebas.
Thats kind of odd, that would mean their usin recycled 06 29er frames or they are losing the whole point of the new geomitry since they said that you could put a normal fork on the G2 geomitry bikes (talkin about 26ers) but it would negate the gain from the new design :/
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top