Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have an old Norco Six that has a Marzocchi All Mountain SL2 on it. Recently the fork started making some pretty harsh knocking noises when compressed. The knock happens when the fork goes a little past the 50% travel mark. Any ideas as to the issue? The fork probably hasn't been serviced in years but I can honestly say I would wager a bet that this doesn't even have 50 total riding hours on it. Now, I have check Marz's website and found all the old tech manuals etc but for some reason this exact fork doesn't seem to be listed. I did a lower leg service on it and there were a couple things that confused me. The internals match up the the service manuals that Marz shows for an SL1 ATA. Its an air sprung fork. When I did the service, there was only oil in the right leg. Measured it out at 100ml. Which the oil level recommended is only 50ml. So I am confused as Marzocchi doesn't actually have any tech info on the SL2. I am hoping there are a few old school guys out there that have serviced these that can help. Thanks.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Ok so there's a few potential issues with that generation fork - does the lockout work? If not, the damper may have failed or leaked which explains the extra oil in the lowers. They are not serviceable though so game over if thats the issue

Second possiblity is the air leg, there should be an air valve on the bottom as well? They may not have been inflated in sequence so let the top pressure out then bottom. Inflate the bottom first to around 120psi, then the top to 90. If the bottom chamber is too low the floating piston may be knocking against the bottom of the cartridge.

OR the PAR/progression piston is sticking and releasing which I seem to remember as an issue from that generation, so needs a service to fix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. The lockout does seem to work, although I don't ever use it closed. Do you happen to know the correct amount of oil that should be in the fork? Thats where I am kinda stumped. I don't want to be adding too much, or too little and doing more damage.
There is a second air valve on the bottom of the air side. When I did the lower leg service, I emptied it. Brain fart though and didn't think to check to see how much was in. I have since added the appropriate amounts of air to top and bottom.
The other thing that I am a bit confused with, is under the red cap on the oil side, there seems to be another air valve? But it has a reverse thread.

I really am hoping the fork isn't toast, because the bike is mint, doesn't get used often but is perfect for when I need a bit of suspension. That and its gonna be tough to find a replacement. With everything now coming with a tapered steer tube, its hard to find anything to fit.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.