Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I know the majority of you weight weenies out there will respond quickly with such a thing as "There's no such thing as too little weight." but one principal must be well understood. Weight and Bicycles do not get along. To make something light, is to potentially make something weak. Or at least for the amount of money your willing to spend. The fairly new Manitou Minute series has been a concern for me lately and I figured that all of you at Mtbr.com could put in some information and opinions. All are welcome. It seems that you can potentially get the travel of a Marzocchi Z1 freeride fork, yet have nearly the weight of A RockShox SID World Cup if your name is Manitou and you have a product series under the name of Minute. Wow...what a coincidence! That does exist! For me, I don't dislike or disapprove of the series in any way but I simply want to know a few things. such as how reliable are they and how will they work out on an All-Mountain setup or agressive long-travel XC style build. You could potentially have 300mm of travel in a suspension fork (Don't say Super Monster.) but It could weigh as much as a cell phone and break as quickly as you can say "Owe my f***ing family jewels"- Quite fast by front suspension durability standards with the exception of RST, Spinner, and SR Suntour. (Unless your a female. If you do say this though, and your family jewels truly do hurt, that must have been a bad crash!) I also want to know why all the other company's don't produce a 3.5lb fork with 140mm of travel. Fox Forks comes close with a similar fork weighted at 3.8-ish lbs with 140mm of travel, yet this is a cross-country specific fork. Not a fork that is recommended for agressive all-mountain like use. Manitou is not the standard of reliability in the bicycle suspension world. That has been well established by the many experienced users of pre 2005 Manitou products have come to know. I say pre-2005 because of the reviews. I've been very impressed by the 2005 Nixon's which are available on Pricepoint.com for a meager $239.99 if you can catch them at the right time. 4.5lbs, 145mm travel. (Really 135mm with the bump-stop which is called a "Tire Clearance Upgrade" by the friendly folks at Answer.)

On Manitou's website, You will find the Minute Super SPV's primary use description is as foggy and unclear as any speech about the Iraq war that has been given in the past 4 years.
"Primary Use:
Trail/Enduro, High-End Trail, Trail" If you look at the index of the Manitou Minute series here
you can clearly see that the other of the four available forks clearly states its secondary use is for Cross-Country (XC) while we get some sort of mixed up nonsensical "Trail/Enduro, High-End Trail, Trail" jargin for all of the Minute forks.
Excuse me, but what in the hell is "High-End Trail" and how is this different from the plain old, clean cut "Trail" that we all have grown to love? and why is this super-light super-ultra super-SPV fork not considered capable of cross-country as its "secondary" use?

If anyone can make any sense of this crap, I would love to hear it. I would most seriously consider buying one of these forks if Im convinced they can handle some All-Mountain abuse. On the other hand, I could stick to Fox Forks or Marzocchi's who may not be too much different in terms of ingenuity, but do have a solid history of reliability with the exception of last years Marzocchi Marathon series...Read the reviews. My god.

Thanks for reading, And please buy my 2001 Giant DH Comp. Thank You, Aaron

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was also just thinking... Remember those Kooka Crank's back in the mid 90's? Great pieces of equipment. Light, Strong, Pretty, and reliable. Until they fracture and crack unexpectedly. I hope the minute series doesn't turn out like this, (Or like the Splice series for that matter.)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Manitou still makes 100 mm travel stadard QR Minutes. I am sure that those weigh 3.5 pounds. That is about the same as a RS Reba. Companies will always skew the figures in their favour. Sure they have a 140 mm travel 20mm axle Minute but I doubt it weighs 3.5 pounds. It is probably around 4 pounds (if it is air sprung) like the RS Pike. Sure, there is a Minute that weighs 3.5 pounds but it is a 'small' fork. They just don't tell you that!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly what I mean! Manitou's marketing department seems to be a little out of whack as compared to other companies!

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Intense5point5 said:
Thats exactly what I mean! Manitou's marketing department seems to be a little out of whack as compared to other companies!
I think their website has 3 years of info updates layed upon it, and someone is not doing a good job of QCing the content.

The Minute fork is pretty much a direct competitor of the Fox 140 series and fits the same nitch.

With AM riding, I would suggest against SPV damping for speedy descents. It works nice for high efficiency situations tho.

As far as weight, and marketing speak goes, Manitou is hardly unique. I feel your same frustration and confusion when I visit the Marzocchi site.

Mr. P

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Manitou's website

I'm pretty confused looking at it too. My new bike is coming with a Relic, and the same "High end Trail" mumbo jumbo applies here. In any event, I saw another thread/post here biatching about Manitou's lack of attention to their website (many new products not up, old products still up, completely wrong product descriptions, etc) and one of the posters had contacted Answer regaring the problems. They blamed the recent acquisition and corporate attentions focused elsewhere for the problem.

I know this doesn't resolve anything, but I thought I'd toss out what I have heard.

Bob

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Yeah, Manitou's website is all out of whack right now.

The Minutes are pretty good forks. They'll hold up fine for AM use. Like somone already said, the 3.5# Minute (if such as thing truly exists) sure as hell isn't the 140mm TA one. Assuming you're riding a 5.5, a Minute is probably a good choice (though I'd opt for one of Fox's 140mm offerings if it was me. ;))

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Either way, I have yet to try the Minute Super SPV. Sounds like its gonna be hard to find a bike with it around now. It does sound nice and I am willing to give Manitou a chance. Im not always happy with there performance but of the 4 or 5 different models I have ridden on friends bikes, Non of them seem to have any major issues.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Either way, I have yet to try the Minute Super SPV. Sounds like its gonna be hard to find a bike with it around now. It does sound nice and I am willing to give Manitou a chance. Im not always happy with there performance but of the 4 or 5 different models I have ridden on friends bikes, Non of them seem to have any major issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.