Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the people have spoken, it's now as official as it'll likely get. The previous instigators have either moved to other states - or gotten too swamped with non-bikey-bike stuff to be of much use *ahemcoughGLEN*.

So after tossing various dates and ideas and rides around, looks like the plan is thus:

UPDATED: Friday, 14 SEP 3PM - Ride: The fun, beautiful - little known to most East Fork / Battleship Rock ride + short shuttle. See misc. info. here in this thread (and this map) but sounds like we can meet/exchange/pack cars at Battleship Rock, head out to the start point and meet the rest of the folks coming from the other direction (how Santa Fe and Los Alamos sounding ;)). Set-up camp/book motel/find couch(es) in Santa Fe or Los Alamos.

Battleship Rock:

Saturday, 15 SEP
- The awesome, epic, reclaimed Guaje Ridge in Los Alamos. An amazing technical swoopy fun trail that brings pure joy. Getting to it, and then back 'home' includes a few connections that challenge as well - or can be partially shuttled. This may be the ride with an "A" and a "B" group - as those hungry for a solid climbing technical serious workout BEFORE the ridge can head out from town. I'd highly recommend an earlyish start for THAT group so as to intersect the folks not wanting to beat themselves up before beating themselves up. If that makes any sense.

See Andy's thread HERE for some teasers from the Ridge. And yes - as of last week, the chainsaws had been out in full force, and Guaje was 100% rideable the whole way through, thanks to the USFS guys and the locals.

Here's one:

Part II on Saturday includes some of the folks already interested heading off to see Cake at Paolo Soleri in Santa Fe. Fun band in a neat, smallish concert venue. Close to all brew pubs and eateries right in town.

Sunday, 16 SEP
- The finale up in Taos/Angel Fire, at South Boundary Trail. Option to either camp nearby - or head out from Santa Fe / Los Alamos / wherever you may be headed in from. For those that don't know it - it is typically done as a shuttle - where we leave vehicles in Taos (near The Bean - excellent coffee & burrito spot) drive the crew to the start at the Angel Fire side, and head out.

One of the legendary BrianC's pix - some guy on SBT:D

Sometimes there's a few of us willing to ride from the Taos side and then grab keys from the shuttle group as we collide in the middle somewhere, which allows us opposite-direction fools to drive the shuttle vehicles back into Taos. Not sure if anyone (myself included) will be willing / available to do this, but again - we can figure it all out the day of/before.

At the Taos end everyone meets at Eske's and refuels for the trip(s) home.

That's it! Come on up/out/down and play.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crd said:
To get your cake tickets:

Purchase tickets by phone, in person or online
http://www.ticketssantafe.org/
Tickets Santa Fe at the Lensic:
211 West San Francisco Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501

Telephone: 505-988-1234
To purchase tickets online, click here.

I just committed!!
carrie
Very cool - perhaps I'll get a ticket for Dana and watch Victor while you guys rock out!

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
Gita

I'm 90% sure I'm in for this one and willing to drive anybody up from Albuquerque if need be. I'll be skipping the Cake concert after Saturday's ride and probably try and camp out near Sundays ride.

Eric

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Count this Arizonan in for Fri, Sat, and Sunday! I will be looking for guidance on where GITA attendees will be camping - I'll have my two dogs in tow and will need to tie them up at camp (or at the trailheads) while we ride. I'm also not opposed to shackin up with locals if the offer were made (Glen - got any free space in your garage? :D )

CAKE sounds super fun for Saturday - if we buy general admission tickets is it open seating so that we can all gather together?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
DurtGurl said:
Count this Arizonan in for Fri, Sat, and Sunday! I will be looking for guidance on where GITA attendees will be camping - I'll have my two dogs in tow and will need to tie them up at camp (or at the trailheads) while we ride.
Ah! Plenty of good camping at/near the ride spots in Fanta Se and in Taos/Angel Fire... In SF - Hyde Park Rd. heads right out of town, and about 8 miles up there's a state park nestled in the midle of the forest - and they've got a number of different sort of camping spots. The newly renovated Black Canyon Campground just reopened - and I'm not sure what they 'did'. It took YEARS - so I'd hope it's good!

AF/Taos has a number of easily accessed developed/semi-developed camp areas as well (see map - areas 10, 11, 12 are adjacent to the base of the Taos end of SBT)

DurtGurl said:
I'm also not opposed to shackin up with locals if the offer were made (Glen - got any free space in your garage? :D )
:cryin: No garage - and hell! YOUR garage is nicer than my house! And bigger too, i think! :eek: If I could squeeze you and YOUR kids in with me and mine - I would! But it's damned near impossible for us - let alone cherished friends, alas.

DurtGurl said:
CAKE sounds super fun for Saturday - if we buy general admission tickets is it open seating so that we can all gather together?
Cool - CRD aka Carrie and a few others seem to have already got tickets - so that will be fun. I assume general admission - as yes, there'd be ample oppurtunity to hang w/the GITA crew that way.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*bumpitty bump*

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
So is the camping up by Pajarito available.
Should be, if not there's some other spots not too far away. A few of us are thinking of riding the Jemez on Friday morning and camping out near the East Fork.

·
Bandolero
1,566 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
So is the camping up by Pajarito available.
should be..i believe you have to pay a five or ten dollars fee somewhere in town,bruce a.k.a. notaknob may be able to help on this,his the one that got our permit the last time we were up there.peace.

·
Basura Blanca
1,793 Posts
They won't close Camp May for the season until sometime in October. Fee is ~$10 and payable at the Aquatic Center on Canyon Rd. Access to the ski hill road is significantly kluged since last year thanks to an over-reaction by DOE to some imagined design basis threat, but don't let the guard post intimidate you. You only need to stop and then get waived thru by the guard. No ID needed, no vehicle check.
- Joe

RCC said:
should be..i believe you have to pay a five or ten dollars fee somewhere in town,bruce a.k.a. notaknob may be able to help on this,his the one that got our permit the last time we were up there.peace.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eric B said:
Should be, if not there's some other spots not too far away. A few of us are thinking of riding the Jemez on Friday morning and camping out near the East Fork.
THAT sounds great. Post up some details as you all figure 'em out, as this '07 GITA is a group effort/get together - nothin' else, and the Jemez riding is AWESOME! A ride led by some knowledgeable locals would be very cool.

Eh, unless you're having it as a sort private deal...

If not, say the word!

·
ride like a girl
620 Posts
Here is a link for more info about Camp May:
http://www.losalamosnm.us/index.asp?Type=B_PR&SEC={40E7C209-CBE0-4386-941F-F392C2CBF502}&DE={B2EFF9AF-0BE1-411C-99C2-369654CAF1B7}

East Fork is super nice as well!

Carrie

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
glenzx said:
THAT sounds great. Post up some details as you all figure 'em out, as this '07 GITA is a group effort/get together - nothin' else, and the Jemez riding is AWESOME! A ride led by some knowledgeable locals would be very cool.

Eh, unless you're having it as a sort private deal...

If not, say the word!
I'm more than willing to lead a ride on the GITA Friday afternoon. The ride I'm thinking is on the shorter side, 12 miles or so and involves a little shuttling. It's the East Fork to Battleship Rock ride. Let me know what you think Glen.

Eric

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eric B said:
I'm more than willing to lead a ride on the GITA Friday afternoon. The ride I'm thinking is on the shorter side, 12 miles or so and involves a little shuttling. It's the East Fork to Battleship Rock ride. Let me know what you think Glen.

Eric
Freakin' PERFECT! I never completed the descent all the way down to Battleship Rock as it seemed like the climb would have been too much for my wife - who was riding with me the 2 times I've been out there. SHE loves the East Fork XC trails on the north (?) side of the road, and the beginning of that descent seemed mellow enough - but then - not mellow.

Battleship rock is mighty cool for any and all who've not checked that out. If I recall, it mkes an especially sweet spot post-ride to enjoy some recovery beverages ;).

So that sounds fantastic. I'd assume, unless I'm WAY off, the shuttle would be to get back to EF Trailhead then? If I have the time/inclination, I'd be happy to dump a vehicle and meet at East Fork - either via riding up the road, or trying to get up the trail... Would that be nuts - or doable for a pain freak like myself (the trail(s))?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
glenzx said:
Freakin' PERFECT! I never completed the descent all the way down to Battleship Rock as it seemed like the climb would have been too much for my wife - who was riding with me the 2 times I've been out there. SHE loves the East Fork XC trails on the north (?) side of the road, and the beginning of that descent seemed mellow enough - but then - not mellow.

Battleship rock is mighty cool for any and all who've not checked that out. If I recall, it mkes an especially sweet spot post-ride to enjoy some recovery beverages ;).

So that sounds fantastic. I'd assume, unless I'm WAY off, the shuttle would be to get back to EF Trailhead then? If I have the time/inclination, I'd be happy to dump a vehicle and meet at East Fork - either via riding up the road, or trying to get up the trail... Would that be nuts - or doable for a pain freak like myself (the trail(s))?
how late can we dare start this ride? I'll have a 7.5+ hour drive and wonder if I need to leave thrusday or can get away with friday B.C.D.

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
glenzx said:

You nailled it. Not a big ride but a lot of fun and does make for a great place to have a few post ride bevs. I was thinking an out and back on the north EF trail and then crossing the highway and droppin down. At this time my work schedule will allow me to get off at noon on Friday which should put me there by 2:00 making that more than doable. I'm pushing for the whole day off but won't know until a day or two before.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,875 Posts
NuMexJoe said:
Access to the ski hill road is significantly kluged since last year thanks to an over-reaction by DOE to some imagined design basis threat, but don't let the guard post intimidate you.
- Joe
It was still under construction last year. We drove through after midnight on Friday, beers in hand. We really showed them.....

East Fork sounds great, uh, where is that exactly?

random GITA 06 passion

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eric B said:
You nailled it. Not a big ride but a lot of fun and does make for a great place to have a few post ride bevs. I was thinking an out and back on the north EF trail and then crossing the highway and droppin down. At this time my work schedule will allow me to get off at noon on Friday which should put me there by 2:00 making that more than doable. I'm pushing for the whole day off but won't know until a day or two before.
Sounds good - and a Friday afternoon start time allows some of the travelers to catch up with us. I've got a similar work 'situation', so if BrianC and co. leave PHX at what?630AM or so, and roll right into the Jemez - they ought to make it :p!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Loudpawlz said:
It was still under construction last year. We drove through after midnight on Friday, beers in hand. We really showed them.....

East Fork sounds great, uh, where is that exactly?
Some knob sent this my way to show whats what (Thanks!), I zoomed out a bit for context:

LINK

1 - 20 of 86 Posts