Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Fuel EX7 and I'm wondering what the rest of you guy's have your PSI settings at for your suspension (front and back), with the Rock Shox Recon and the Fox Float RPL. I weigh 150 pounds and I'm trying to figure out what a good PSI is for a SOMEWHAT plush setting, but not TOO soft.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try around 120psi in the rear shock. Generally a bit more than 3/4 of your body weight is a good starting point. If it ends up feeling too stiff or too soft adjust accordingly.

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it at around 145-150psi right now, but it feels a little too stiff. But if I go any softer I'm afraid I'm going to bottom this thing out! It does NOT have 5 inches of rear travel like the reviews say. It has about 3.5 to MAYBE 4. 150 feels too stiff, but anything under that feels too soft and likely to bottom out and hit the rear triangle with the seatpost tube...

*Edit*
Talking about the rear shock here.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bavarian3900 said:
I have it at around 145-150psi right now, but it feels a little too stiff. But if I go any softer I'm afraid I'm going to bottom this thing out! It does NOT have 5 inches of rear travel like the reviews say. It has about 3.5 to MAYBE 4. 150 feels too stiff, but anything under that feels too soft and likely to bottom out and hit the rear triangle with the seatpost tube...

*Edit*
Talking about the rear shock here.
yeah 2/3rds to 3/4s weight seems reasonable. I doubt you'll bottom out the shock or manage to hit the seatpost for 2 reasons.

1) it's hard to truly bottom out an Air shock with a reasonable amount of air in it. The shock pressure ramps up as the shock is compressed.
2) I bet if you let all the air out off your shock, you'll find that the seattube doesn't touch the rear triangle, Go frame designers! so no worries about having the 2 collide, even with zero pressure.

so just drop the pressure. no worries. If you are paranoid, carry the pump with you and if you ever feel the end bottoming out, stop immediately and pump it up.

GL,
-don

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
As for the travel, if you remove all pressure from the shock, you should be able to see how far the shock compresses. Remember that suspension travel is measured at the axle, too, and travel is measured from full extension to full compression of the shock (are you taking into account sag?).

HTH

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blehargh said:
2) I bet if you let all the air out off your shock, you'll find that the seattube doesn't touch the rear triangle, Go frame designers! so no worries about having the 2 collide, even with zero pressure.
This is not true. When I bought the bicycle it had a defective rear schock on it which had negative air pressure. When I sat on the bicycle, the seat post clamp would completely slam against the top of the rear triangle.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bavarian3900 said:
This is not true. When I bought the bicycle it had a defective rear schock on it which had negative air pressure. When I sat on the bicycle, the seat post clamp would completely slam against the top of the rear triangle.
Fair enough. Well, the rest of my post still applies. Bring the shock pump. Or if you want to, you can fire an email to Trek, asking them about recommended values, if you want to cover your ass warranty wise. I find them to be fairly responsive to email tech questions.

GL,
-don

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see the relavence in measuring travel anywhere else other than from the rear triangle to the seatpost clamp on this frame. If my seatpost clamp is only 3 inches away from the top of my rear triangle, nothing else matters. If those two connect (bottom out), that's it... that's as much travel as it has.

The 2007 Fuel EX7 only has 3 inches of rear travel.

I'm not trying to go against anyones opinion or be a stubborn ass, but that's just the way I see it. I think it's stupid how little rear travel this bicycle has. It's SO easy to bottom it out even with 140psi in the rear shock.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bavarian3900 said:
I don't see the relavence in measuring travel anywhere else other than from the rear triangle to the seatpost clamp on this frame. If my seatpost clamp is only 3 inches away from the top of my rear triangle, nothing else matters. If those two connect (bottom out), that's it... that's as much travel as it has.

I'm not trying to go against anyones opinion or be a stubborn ass, but that's just the way I see it. I think it's stupid how little rear travel this bicycle has. It's SO easy to bottom it out even with 140psi in the rear shock.
dnlwrthrn is correct. Travel is measured at the axle. And the reason your rear triangle to seat post clamp assumption is off is because there's a pivot on the seatstay, and a pivot at the top of the rear triangle. this allows the chainstays to move at a different rate than the seatstays, also lets the angle change to increase movement at the axle. The movement is complex, so you can do the math, or plug it into a CAD program, or hell, even release the pressure from your shock and measure the axle movement. Otherwise, go ahead and sue Trek for false advertising. Somehow I think Trek doesn't lie about it's products.

anyways back to your original question... here's the RPL manual...

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/oe_custom_products/float_rpl.htm

for 150lbs it recommends about 135 lbs. Perhaps you have a defective shock?

GL,
-don

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blehargh said:
dnlwrthrn is correct. Travel is measured at the axle. And the reason your rear triangle to seat post clamp assumption is off is because there's a pivot on the seatstay, and a pivot at the top of the rear triangle. this allows the chainstays to move at a different rate than the seatstays, also lets the angle change to increase movement at the axle. The movement is complex, so you can do the math, or plug it into a CAD program, or hell, even release the pressure from your shock and measure the axle movement. Otherwise, go ahead and sue Trek for false advertising. Somehow I think Trek doesn't lie about it's products.

anyways back to your original question... here's the RPL manual...

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/oe_custom_products/float_rpl.htm

for 150lbs it recommends about 135 lbs. Perhaps you have a defective shock?

GL,
-don
Possibly... My first shock was defective or something. It had negative air pressure.

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,183 Posts
Bavarian3900 said:

My Ex6 rides like a dream.... maybe you are just to heavy for a XC bike?.. or the shock is faulty. It seems a little strange you have such regular bottoming out....

I'm running 110/ 115 psi in my shock and its spot on...

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EPTX_RIDER said:
Hey bavarianEX7 you should listen to blehargh I couldn't agree more with his statement. I was doing some research and I noticed you are getting snow this weekend, do you plan on riding?
Haha, Nick.

So we're supposed to get snow again?

Yeah I'll be down to ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.