Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the project is complete,this one came together like leather...special thx to SS157 for his words of wisdom:thumbsup:

This project came together thx to a $7.00 hone R.D. a solid axel rear wheel that was a few days away from being converted back to a Q.R.,some extra cable I've had for years and a parts bin rear deore shifter.heres the kicker,I picked up the frame and fork (in pretty good shape) for $140.00....now thats a custom build:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,432 Posts
come on duct tape cable stops? Get yourself some nice black zip ties and finish that rig proper like :)

Nice on the cheap build BTW.

The hone rear is a great idea. Are you running a jump stop up front? You could handle taking a few links out of the that chain to increase wrap and lessen the chance of dropping chains on bumpy stuff. Get a really tight wrap on the 34rear so that the derailleur has barely any movement there.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
rockcrusher said:
You could handle taking a few links out of the that chain to increase wrap and lessen the chance of dropping chains on bumpy stuff. Get a really tight wrap on the 34rear so that the derailleur has barely any movement there.
More than a few links!

Good work on the improv, now the tweaking part is were the learning happens.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx bro...thanks to a soft real esate market I've got plenty of time these days,the old phones not ringing like it used to....but the 29er builds are getting plenty of attention and I've putting in some nice early season rides.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well I say screw'em! Of course that might be the 40+ degree temperatures I've been experiencing here in Iowa. Or maybe the 50+ miles of serene road riding I got in yesteday ( think hills and horse drawn buggies), or maybe those forties of PBR and multiple rolls of sushi and sake bombs earlier tonight! I'm banking on the combination of the three.

Did everything bolt up pretty easily? I would have to assume it did. Looks awesome by the way! I would have taken pictures of the other Rig I converted for someone though the only difference would have been a Saint derailleur, and Salsa Delgado Disc rim. I like this build better than the other cheapie build I saw you post up in the "cheap" 29er thread. Plus I might be a little biased.

Awesome build. Ditch some links, Ditch some duck tape. Get some Dirty Dog Skull guides or just good old black zip ties. And also what fork are you running. Looks like a Surly. I will throw some picks back at you when I get my Scout back but I found out I get it back the day and I mean THE day I fly out for Miami for my gf's spring break. Talk about killer anticipation. Oh and let us now how it rides most importantly.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
rockcrusher said:
come on duct tape cable stops? Get yourself some nice black zip ties and finish that rig proper like :)

Nice on the cheap build BTW.

The hone rear is a great idea. Are you running a jump stop up front? You could handle taking a few links out of the that chain to increase wrap and lessen the chance of dropping chains on bumpy stuff. Get a really tight wrap on the 34rear so that the derailleur has barely any movement there.
Or at least some stick on cable guides.

Attachments

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ss157..All is cool,and thx....guys the duck tape is a nostalgic touch from the moto cross days...the cables guides were on order,and the links have beened pulled from the chain.
ss157 any tips on finding a matching 6mm allen head nut for the non drive side, I'd rather just tote around a 6mm wrench in case of a flat.
Oh yhea,the rig flat out smokes !!!

panfry...I have a nice ninner going on e bay next week,its all yours...way over hyped
peace...

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just got in from a ride,first the eyes then I hurt a few peoples legs out on the track.That rig flat out jams,one look at my bike and you really get the idea why they named it the rig..ha ha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.