Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a sneek peek at the Gary Fisher steel Ferrous 29er frame. What a work of art this frame is! These pics don't do it justice. So far with the little bit o toolin around I've done on it I can say it feels alot like my Ti bikes. Very smooth! I can't wait to put it to the rocks, roots and dirt trails of PA. Your thoughts?
 

Attachments

·
wot no bike?
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
I'm building up a similar wheelset scheme (black rims/spokes, red nipples) as soon as the parts come in. Good to see the little splash of red is going to turn out nice. :thumbsup:

-pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
That's a smooth, well-executed bike: thanks for the pics!

Two questions:

1) Where did you get a black frame? Or did you buy the blue and have it custom painted?

2) Did you buy this as a frameset and build it up? Is it even available as a frameset?

OK, so it's more like 2+2 questions...
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Interesting choice of words....

You say, "sneak peak", when this bike has been seen out and about plenty already. Do you mean to say this is an '08 version? Or a frame only version?

What gives? Please explain. :confused:
 

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
Joined
·
1,709 Posts
BigWheeler said:
That's a smooth, well-executed bike: thanks for the pics!

Two questions:

1) Where did you get a black frame? Or did you buy the blue and have it custom painted?

2) Did you buy this as a frameset and build it up? Is it even available as a frameset?

OK, so it's more like 2+2 questions...
If I may interject...
Stork is a pretty fast dude who races for the Fisher 29er team. That said, it's a custom, factory paint job. The stock color is still set for Devo Blue to the best of my knowledge. The 29 inch Ferrous isn't available as a frameset at this point, unfortunately. The kid sized Ferrous has the frame only option, but that doesn't help us much. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to riding with Stork this weekend and possibly swinging a leg over that beauty. Of course, then I'll be dreaming Ferrous dreams...

OGG
 

·
Only dead people are old
Joined
·
643 Posts
stork said:
Here is a sneek peek at the Gary Fisher steel Ferrous 29er frame. What a work of art this frame is! These pics don't do it justice. So far with the little bit o toolin around I've done on it I can say it feels alot like my Ti bikes. Very smooth! I can't wait to put it to the rocks, roots and dirt trails of PA. Your thoughts?
Nice bike, but I like the color of mine better - show-cased it here about 3 weeks ago...got over 500 miles on it already and must say it is a very sweet riding bike...enjoy it!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Questions/Answers

To answer the questions.... The Ferrous 29er came to me as a frame only but I'm not sure that Fisher will be offering it this way or not. You'll need to check their website. Next Black paint over the standard Blue? No It was a "raw" frame so the guys at Fisher did me the honors of the "Starry Night Black" paint job. I currently have a matching 06 Rig that is built up similar. This Ferrous has a Reba Race 29er Fork w/pop loc, King Headset, Bontrager Carbon bar, Avid Juicy Carbon Brakes, Bontrager Big Earl Lock-on Grips, Bontrager Race Lite Stem, XTR M952 Cranks w/Boone Ti Drive Ring, Boone Ti Rear Cog, KMC S10 Stainless Chain, machined Eccentric Bottom Bracket Shell w/XTR BB, Bontrager Rims w/ King Single Speed Disc Hub. I have a new set of Bontager Mustang Rims w/King Silver Hubs being built that I will use Stans rim strips and Bontrager standard ACX tires on. Hopefully I have enough red nips to add the color to the rims again. Have you guys ever used the Boone Ti stuff? Its awesome and lasta long time! I have a rear cog on my 05 Rig that is on its 3rd season. I can post a few more shots of the Ferrous once a get some. Usually I put them up first on my site www.travissaeler.com
later
stork
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I like the looks of yours too! Sad to say that I won't be getting many miles on mine yet. Here in PA we're in a deep freeze and I don't have the heart to subject this bike to the elements just yet! With my 05 Rig, 06 Rig, 05 Paragon, and a 06 Trek Portland set up with cross tyres and fenders I have many other choices, but thanks for leaving me "wanting" to ride this thing!
stork
 

·
Only dead people are old
Joined
·
643 Posts
stork said:
Yea I like the looks of yours too! Sad to say that I won't be getting many miles on mine yet. Here in PA we're in a deep freeze and I don't have the heart to subject this bike to the elements just yet! With my 05 Rig, 06 Rig, 05 Paragon, and a 06 Trek Portland set up with cross tyres and fenders I have many other choices, but thanks for leaving me "wanting" to ride this thing!
stork
Brrr...it is cold over there. I haven't touched my Rig since I found out how nice the ride on the Ferrous is. I have visions of selling both my Rig and 2002 SuperCal29 and getting a second Ferrous as a backup bike.

BTW it was partly cloudy and 48F here today on my ride. Hope some of this comes your way soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Super E said:
Brrr...it is cold over there. I haven't touched my Rig since I found out how nice the ride on the Ferrous is. I have visions of selling both my Rig and 2002 SuperCal29 and getting a second Ferrous as a backup bike.

BTW it was partly cloudy and 48F here today on my ride. Hope some of this comes your way soon.
48F? Lucky lucky. We where having weather like that up until last week. Now its frigid but it keeps it interesting. I havn't stopped riding yet! As for selling the Rigs well I couldn't do it. They have both been there for me in races and neither has left me stranded now the 2005 has become an all winter ride. But now you really have me wanting to ride this thing soon! Maybe I'll take it to Rays MTB Park in Ohio! Also around these parts its still a pretty rare Bike, most dealers (one a top 50 Fisher dealer) in this area don't have them yet. Keep putting the miles on!

stork
 

·
RIDE TO LIVE
Joined
·
464 Posts
Are those stock avid carbon rotors? How do they work? I have been using clean sweeps with my juicy 7's but they are marginal in wet conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LIV2RYD said:
Are those stock avid carbon rotors? How do they work? I have been using clean sweeps with my juicy 7's but they are marginal in wet conditions.
They are actually Hayes rotors. I used the Hayes Mud Cutter rotors on my Rig last year and they worked great in all conditions
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Great looking bike. I've been riding a Rig also and love the way it rides. I'm waiting for my Ferrous to arrive and hoping it won't be to long of a wait!

What size is your frame? I've heard several rumors about when the larges are to hit the shops and was hoping yours was one because if the rumors are true I've got a long wait ahead of me.

Thx for posting the pics. By the way it was 80 today in Phoenix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
azmtbr said:
Great looking bike. I've been riding a Rig also and love the way it rides. I'm waiting for my Ferrous to arrive and hoping it won't be to long of a wait!

What size is your frame? I've heard several rumors about when the larges are to hit the shops and was hoping yours was one because if the rumors are true I've got a long wait ahead of me.

Thx for posting the pics. By the way it was 80 today in Phoenix.
I'm looking at the temp and its -2 here @ 6:30am. My frame is a medium (17.5) and as noted earlier the guys @ Fisher painted this up from a "raw" frame so I don't think they (even the mediums) are ready yet for the shops. Someone asked about the Bottom Bracket didn't they? Well I actually got a Bottom Bracket that is used for the Tandems which is threaded opposite but its machined out for less weight. It makes it a bit harder to adjust but I think most stock Ferrous models will come with the standard (Rigs) bottom bracket. Maybe one of the guys here that already have one (SuperE) can answer this???
 

·
Only dead people are old
Joined
·
643 Posts
stork said:
I'm looking at the temp and its -2 here @ 6:30am. My frame is a medium (17.5) and as noted earlier the guys @ Fisher painted this up from a "raw" frame so I don't think they (even the mediums) are ready yet for the shops. Someone asked about the Bottom Bracket didn't they? Well I actually got a Bottom Bracket that is used for the Tandems which is threaded opposite but its machined out for less weight. It makes it a bit harder to adjust but I think most stock Ferrous models will come with the standard (Rigs) bottom bracket. Maybe one of the guys here that already have one (SuperE) can answer this???

The Ferrous EBB is the same as the Rig EBB. My LBS currently has a medium and an XL Ferrous on the floor (I bought the first medium they got in).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Looks like the rumors might be true then. Anyone know what the rationale would be to produce XL frames first then Mediums. Just curious, I would have thought Large frames would have been more popular than XL.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top