Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought one of these bikes and I bought it with the XL frame and know it has the DHX 5.0 air shock on it which I've read countless times needs to be upgraded to a coil shock considering I way in at 225. My major question is to verify that a fox vanilla r/rc (not sure which one it is however it is piggyback) would fit at a 8.75 x 2.5
I'm just making sure it will fit before i buy it, i found a great deal on one so...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Enduro expert I assume. Have you tried tuning, and adjusting air volume, propedal, and rebound. You can find manuals for fox shocks at their website. I wouldn't trade a dhx air for a vanilla rc. Just my 2 cents. I ride a dhx coil 5.0 on my sx trail. My friend rides a enduro expert w/ dhx air. They are very comparable in my opinion. Well, to a point I guess. But unless you are looking at drop 10 foot gaps all of the time I 'de save the money and invest some time to tuning your dhx air. You might be suprised what it can do. Plus you'll be looking at tacking on a few pounds with the dhx coil. Seriously, if your building an AM-FR I would say stay with the air. If you are FR-DH....you may have bought the wrong frame.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The general consensus is the DHXa blows through mid-travel too easily, making larger hits more noticeable as well as giving the bike a general "wallowy" feel. All riders that switch to coil report a more lively feel, generally better big-hit response AND small-bump compliance. I like the coil on mine, but mine is more a resort bike than a pedaler these days.

That being said, if you're not considering really aggressive stuff you might find that the DHXa can work for you, provided you can tune it to do so. At your weight, that's possibly a concern. The range of tuning options available to you may be compromised somewhat due to that factor... you'll just have to ride and see. Good luck :)

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
bad andy said:
The general consensus is the DHXa blows through mid-travel too easily, making larger hits more noticeable as well as giving the bike a general "wallowy" feel. All riders that switch to coil report a more lively feel, generally better big-hit response AND small-bump compliance. I like the coil on mine, but mine is more a resort bike than a pedaler these days.

That being said, if you're not considering really aggressive stuff you might find that the DHXa can work for you, provided you can tune it to do so. At your weight, that's possibly a concern. The range of tuning options available to you may be compromised somewhat due to that factor... you'll just have to ride and see. Good luck :)
+1 and add that the coil made my Enduro a much better steep climber.

The DHXa is not a terrible shock, it is just not a good match for the Enduro linkage.
P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.