Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let the speculation begin. We don't even know how these bikes will be spec'd but people are already questioning the potential overlap. In a couple of months there will be a hundred questions on which bike to buy.

So, let's get the discussion going. Should Joe Blow buy the SX Trail (assuming '07 is like '06) or the Demo 7 (assuming it will be like the pics on NSMB)? If you have any more current info on these two, let's hear it.

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
I would think that one must ask what kind of riding am I doing?

All around bike that can do it all....climb, jump and desend with ease (non lift)
then I would take the SX as long as I put it on a diet and got her down to 36lbs.

Assuming that the demo 7 would have a choice of a triple or single crown fork?
Single crown....I am thinking the demo 7 will weigh in around 40 lbs, with a diet maybe down to 36...same as an SX, this would be a tough decision. What kind of rear shock? Will it have pro-pedal, will you be able to climb it if need be?
If it has a triple....this would be a light weight downhill bike, which would rock as just that. If this would be an all around bike....dunno, how strong are you to climb hills with it/would you want to?
Bottom line is what are you doing with the bike?
If you are downhilling...then Demo
If you are freeriding....SX

I find the SX to be a great all around bike that I ride 3-4 times a week..up AND down
It's fast, nible, stable and solid
Tho when it comes to rough, rock gardens, highspeed stutter bumps the single crown 66 can only handle so much, then I take my bighit.
but if you are on a fast, rolly dirt single track with 5-10 foot drops on it....SX fo SURE
my vote.....GIT BOTH!

Here is mine...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
713 Posts
snow-man said:
I would think that one must ask what kind of riding am I doing?

All around bike that can do it all....climb, jump and desend with ease (non lift)
then I would take the SX as long as I put it on a diet and got her down to 36lbs.

Assuming that the demo 7 would have a choice of a triple or single crown fork?
Single crown....I am thinking the demo 7 will weigh in around 40 lbs, with a diet maybe down to 36...same as an SX, this would be a tough decision. What kind of rear shock? Will it have pro-pedal, will you be able to climb it if need be?
If it has a triple....this would be a light weight downhill bike, which would rock as just that. If this would be an all around bike....dunno, how strong are you to climb hills with it/would you want to?
Bottom line is what are you doing with the bike?
If you are downhilling...then Demo
If you are freeriding....SX

I find the SX to be a great all around bike that I ride 3-4 times a week..up AND down
It's fast, nible, stable and solid
Tho when it comes to rough, rock gardens, highspeed stutter bumps the single crown 66 can only handle so much, then I take my bighit.
but if you are on a fast, rolly dirt single track with 5-10 foot drops on it....SX fo SURE
my vote.....GIT BOTH!

Here is mine...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Snow man Biatch" lol...

So is that the stock Trail 1?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Stock SX trail II is about 36 pounds, a large too!!!
Me and my friend got bikes at the same time.. him an Enduro expert (32 pounds) and my sx trail II at 36 pounds.
I would say the demo 7 is definitely going to be built a little stronger, more like an 8, apparently it only saves about a pound off the frame. Now if it has 1.5" steerer the single crown will help. I would say there will be a 5-6 pound difference.. but it all depends how theyre speced.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
mtb_biker said:
The sx trail will still be here next year in the same fashion. The other enduro's get a makeover.
my bad, ill finish my sentences.

the DEMO7 will most likly be replacing the SX Trail as there primary Freeride bike, with the SX trail being there Freeride/All Mountain bike.

there both very different. i dont see a cross over happening.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BJ- said:
my bad, ill finish my sentences.

the DEMO7 will most likly be replacing the SX Trail as there primary Freeride bike, with the SX trail being there Freeride/All Mountain bike.

there both very different. i dont see a cross over happening.
BJ, how do you see them being very different?

My guess is that the Demo will have slightly more travel, a little lower and laid back, and a little heavier. To me it's their light DH bike, not freeride - think Sea Otter, Courgar Mtn, Fontana.

I also don't think it will be 5-6 lbs heavier. The new Demos look much lighter and that is one of the big S's goals.

Of course, I also never thought S would make their own forks again, so who knows.

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
My SXT 1 weighed 40.3lbs when I picked her up from the LBS, Medium
I ditched the single ring up front and the chain guide : (
FOR a double ring HONE crankset/BB, added a front derailuer/shifter to make it an all around freeride bike for everyday riding (climbing), it does just that right now and I absolutly love it.
Weight now is 36.6lbs, not bad for it's ability

OH couple of things
LOOSE THE AVID juicy 5's...they are worthless and cheap!
Also the stock chunder tires....ROCK, best tire I have ever riddin!
BUT they weigh 2lbs EACH...yes 2 POUNDS EACH
loose ''em for everyday trail riding, throw them back on for more serious situations
The stock Truvativ crap ways a TON, I took out that BB and I swear it was WAY overbuilt and just straight up overkill, loose it!
Next I'm replacing the cassette for an XT,
Basically loose anything by Truvativ....it weighs WAY to much for a trail bike components....lost the stem for a Thompson

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
This is a good debate as I am looking at both of them for later this year. I need something to replace my Dirtbag as I want to get a rideable bike with a single crown. One of the guys at my shop has a custom SXT that is the exact build I want. But the D7 is nice (own a D-9) too. I think the SXT will be a bit lighter of a frame. Plan to build with my own parts...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Demo 7 looks better I think. The SX Trail may be a lighter bike. Otherwise, the bikes will be roughly spec'ed the same. In the end, test ride both and go with the one that rides better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
snow-man said:
My SXT 1 weighed 40.3lbs when I picked her up from the LBS, Medium
I ditched the single ring up front and the chain guide : (
FOR a double ring HONE crankset/BB, added a front derailuer/shifter to make it an all around freeride bike for everyday riding (climbing), it does just that right now and I absolutly love it.
Weight now is 36.6lbs, not bad for it's ability

OH couple of things
LOOSE THE AVID juicy 5's...they are worthless and cheap!
Also the stock chunder tires....ROCK, best tire I have ever riddin!
BUT they weigh 2lbs EACH...yes 2 POUNDS EACH
loose ''em for everyday trail riding, throw them back on for more serious situations
The stock Truvativ crap ways a TON, I took out that BB and I swear it was WAY overbuilt and just straight up overkill, loose it!
Next I'm replacing the cassette for an XT,
Basically loose anything by Truvativ....it weighs WAY to much for a trail bike components....lost the stem for a Thompson
Yeah, I didn't even mess with the J-5's, went strait for the Hayes. The chain guide was piss poor, so I got a System 3...custom fit and sweet. And yes the Chunders are a great stock tire. I had a RaceFace stem, and post laying around so I threw those on as well with a Berserker saddle. The bike is perfect.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
the demo 7 is a much burlier looking ride than sx trail. it has the exact same frame as the demo 8 with only minor geo changes . if u r serious about freeriding ,go demo ,if not ,sxt for sure .

one small thing about the 7 , u have to live with the paint job if u choose it :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GreenJeans said:
NSMB said the Argyle will not be there.
I read that as well and I hope it's true. I couldn't force myself to buy either one of those no matter how good the bike was. The good news is that it makes the SXT/Demo7 question much easier.

This falls into the "what were they thinking" category. Reminds me of the hideous purple and orange aggressive hardtails of a few years ago.

I did like the black/orange splash job on the D8 on NSMB. Wonder if that one makes it to production

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
I kinda dig the paint jobs :thumbsup: I totally dig the argyle!
hhhmmm
I like the demo 7, no doubt about that
I am not diggin the look of the bottom tube, round, curvey...kinda reminds me of something you'd find in Walmart.
The 7 does not look like a good bike to climb tho....I bet it weighs around 42 lbs
Looks fun to down tho.... but still not an everyday ride
I also like the color choice of the SXT's too....
I can't beleive they are keeping the Bighits around....why?
Way to much overlapping going on w/Specialized

My choice (still)
Get both
Demo 8 and SXT

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.