Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in these two Forks but could anyone advise me which one to go for. I have read some disappointing reviews on the 2006 Fox but have they got it sorted for 2007?

Also could you tell me how much difference in weight there is between a 2002 Trek Fuel 80 with disc brakes and a SC Nomad rig out?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Jonah said:
I am interested in these two Forks but could anyone advise me which one to go for. I have read some disappointing reviews on the 2006 Fox but have they got it sorted for 2007?

Also could you tell me how much difference in weight there is between a 2002 Trek Fuel 80 with disc brakes and a SC Nomad rig out?

Thanks
Reviews say the '07 Talas is pretty trouble free now, but there are quite a lot of reports of 2-steps sticking down, may still have some bugs to work out.

The Lyrik U-turn should be nice, if you can stand a bit more weight.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
fsrxc said:
Reviews say the '07 Talas is pretty trouble free now, .
They seem to have it worked out now. I had 3 buddies pick 'em up and then I got mine and none of us have had any issues. The bottom out resistance is really nice and the travel is staying at 160. The 3 step travel adjust is sweet too. Honestly, I don't use the 100mm setting much primarily because my bike feels comfortable on climbs set at 130mm. I'm looking forward to getting more days on it, but I probably have 25 days on it and it's been solid.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've got 450 miles (average speed about 5mph) on my 07 talas rc2- no reliability issues so far.

My only complaint is that its not very plush. I'm 165# and run both compression adjusters ful soft and its still too stiff for me.

The 3 position travel is the greatest feature ever. 100mm climbing, 130mm along the ridgeline, 160mm going back down.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
mb300 said:
I've got 450 miles (average speed about 5mph) on my 07 talas rc2- no reliability issues so far.

My only complaint is that its not very plush. I'm 165# and run both compression adjusters ful soft and its still too stiff for me.

The 3 position travel is the greatest feature ever. 100mm climbing, 130mm along the ridgeline, 160mm going back down.
MB, what kind of sag are you running? It sounds like you might be running too much pressure. I'm ~160 without gear and I've got 1.5" of sag on mine set at approx. 48-49 psi and regularly use all of the travel. I'm not having any issues with the plushness of this fork.

EBX

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm running 48psi on the not so nasty trails and 52psi on the big stuff. Plushness definately increases at lower pressures, but so does the risk of going over the bars :)

I think one of the issues is that plushness is relative - my other forks are a talas32 and a Pike, both of those forks are mega plush compared to the talas36.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
mb300 said:
I'm running 48psi on the not so nasty trails and 52psi on the big stuff. Plushness definately increases at lower pressures, but so does the risk of going over the bars :)

I think one of the issues is that plushness is relative - my other forks are a talas32 and a Pike, both of those forks are mega plush compared to the talas36.
Gotcha.....

MB, focus on getting the correct sag with air pressure and just leave it regardless of the terrain you're riding. Then, dial in the high/low speed compression adjustments as necessary to control bottom out on big hits (high speed) and brake dive /unwanted bob (low speed). FYI, the big knob is the high speed. Small is low. I kept forgetting that. :(

On most of our xc trails, I'm running just 1-2 clicks on both and I'm using all of my travel on those rides. On some FR trails, I've taken this fork on, I've upped the high speed as much as 8-10 clicks and it did great in regard to bottom out and that was off 7+ foot drops (true size) where I sailed 10-15 feet down the hill. No issues whatsoever.

A good reference is that if you're not bottoming your fork out 1-2x per ride (not violently, mind you), it's probably too firm or the compression is set too high.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
mb300 said:

Well have you tried lower pressure, then dial up the compression a bit to reduce brake dive?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Jonah said:

Thanks
Owned an '05 & '06 36TALAS RC2, 36VanR, Lyrik 2Step and now on a Lyrik u-turn (also trail demoed an IH 6Point with a 66 Light). I much preffer the Lyrik for its damping chracteristics, much better than the 36 and 66, IMHO.

Although, I liked the 2 Step's spring rate better than the u-turn's. I would not get a 2-Step until RS sorts out it's issues with the travel adjust mechanism. So go with the Lyrik u-turn or solo air (if you want an air fork).

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
I have one of the first batch of Lyriks. I did, initially,experience some of the dreaded stuck down syndrome (DSDS).

But, I bled the air out of the top cap and it has worked fine ever since. The damper in the Lyrik is keen!

It is my understanding that the latest batch of forks has been sorted.

Attachments

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Aquaholic said:
I have one of the first batch of Lyriks. I did, initially,experience some of the dreaded stuck down syndrome (DSSD).

But, I bled the air out of the top cap and it has worked fine ever since. The damper in the Lyrik is keen!

I understand the latest batch of forks has been sorted.
It's not easy being on the front side of innovation, Aqua! ;)

Honestly, I was leery of the TALAS 36 due to the DSSD and numerous accounts of the dreaded big guy/big huck bottom out (DBG/BHBO) of the '05 and '06 models. That's why I waited 'til a couple of my bigger buddies were on the '07 for a few months before I pulled the trigger!

Unfortunately, I've got no good pics of me hucking my 36.....but rest assured, it's happened numerous times and the fork roxorz on that stuff too.

Peace!
EBX

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
mb300 said:

^^Exactly right on that. I lub my Talas and its adjustability settings. And let out some air. I had mine at 75LBS and i weight 175, and it was still too much. Soon as you drop some air, you will be straight digging on those forks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.