Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.
I already have a avanti ventura 07 model for my everyday riding but in a week ill be buying a 2006 specialized p2......my question is .....how much punishment can these bikes handle?

i want to go downhill on it but not too extreme.......nothing like freeriding......\
just some places like fox creek.....or eagle mountain......will my bike be able to handle it?

of course i would have prefered a p3 but at 2700 its just a biut out of my price range.

im getting the p2 for 1400

·
Cannondale17
220 Posts
they can take alot man super strong and lifetime warrenty too:thumbsup: but 1400 is pretty steep lol depending on whats on it i would give ya my 06 p2 with upgraded forks.... well upgraded everything for like 800 if your intersted :)

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
the P. series can handle A LOT of abuse. last august, I rode mine full on DH at whistler. you wont brake it. if it can handle schleyer, a line, dirt merchant...it'll handle anything :p just dont take the travel over 130 and you'll be good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i actualy knocked them down from 1650 to 1400.....ill post up all the specs
it has:.

- Stronger, stiffer 6061-T6 alloy frame, Freeride HT Dirt Jumping/Street/MTB design, double butted ORE DT and TT, forged/releived "Cobra" HT and ISCG BB, 6mm offset rear triangle and forged horizontal drop-outs with integrated chain tensioner and replaceable der hanger

- Lighter Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro SL, 110mm "Disc" model, SSV dampening, 1-piece magnesium lower, Cr-Mo steerer, black alloy 32mm stanchions, cold forged alloy crown, coil spring w/ air assist

- More powerful Hayes Sole, hydraulic disc brakes with BFL levers and 160mm V-cut rotors

- Truvativ Hussefelt, 6066 with howitzer interface and Truvativ XR box guide chain guide

- SUN SingleTrack Disc, 26", 36 hole, eyelets

- FRAME 06 P-frame, 6061-T6 alloy, Freeride HT Dirt Jumping/ Street/MTB design, double butted ORE DT and TT, forged/releived "Cobra" HT and ISCG BB, 6mm offset rear triangle and forged horizontal drop-outs with integrated chain tensioner and replaceable der hanger

- REAR SHOCK None

- FORK Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro SL, 110mm "Disc" model, SSV dampening, 1-piece magnesium lower, Cr-Mo steerer, black alloy 32mm stanchions, cold forged alloy crown, coil spring w/ air assist

- HEADSET Tank FS, 1 1/8" threadless

- STEM Truvativ Hussefelt, forged stem, 7 degree x 40mm, 31.8mm bar clamp

- HANDLEBARS Specialized alloy riser, OS 31.8mm , 45mm rise, 8 degree upsweep, 6 degree backsweep, 640mm width

- GRIPS Specialized Enduro, Kraton dual compound

- FRONT BRAKE Hayes Sole, hydraulic disc, 160mm V-cut rotor

- REAR BRAKE Hayes Sole, hydraulic disc, 160mm V-cut rotor

- BRAKE LEVERS Hayes Sole with BFL lever

- FRONT DERAILLEUR None

- REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM SX-5, short cage

- SHIFT LEVERS SRAM SX-4 Triggers, 8-speed

- CASSETTE SRAM PG-830, 11-28t

- CHAIN Shimano IG-31

- CRANKSET Truvativ Hussefelt, 6066 with howitzer interface and Truvativ XR box guide chain guide

- CHAINRINGS 34T heat treated Cr-Mo

- BOTTOM BRACKET Truvativ Howitzer Team, 57mm chainline, external alloy cups, sealed cartridge bearing

- PEDALS Specialized alloy platform, molded pins, 9/16" Cr-Mo axle

- RIMS SUN SingleTrack Disc, 26", 36 hole, eyelets

- FRONT HUB Joy Tech disc, 36 hole, nutted axle

- REAR HUB Joy Tech disc, cassette 36 hole, nutted axle

- SPOKES 2.0mm (14g) stainless steel, brass nipples

- FRONT TIRE Specialized Rhythm 26x2.3", 60TPI, dual compound with wire bead

- REAR TIRE Specialized Rhythm 26x2.3", 60TPI, dual compound with wire bead

- TUBES Specialized schraeder valve

- SADDLE Specialized Fuse w/ 8mm rails

- SEAT POST Alloy micro-adjust, 30.9x300/350mm, for 8mm rails

- SEAT BINDER Alloy collar with Q/R

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah im actualy in adelaide ....south australia.....

the normal going price for a p2 is 1650......

since the 07 model will be out soon..i knocked him down to 1400........

i dont want to get an 07 .....i dont like the looks of it......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone have any good photos of the 06 p2...the only ones ive found on the net are realy small and dont show much detail.....i had a bit of a look in the shop but only for like 10-15 mins.

cheers

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Yeah, they are awesome. Try to work him down lower, and then upgrade the fork with all of the money you saved. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FORK Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro SL, 110mm "Disc" model, SSV dampening, 1-piece magnesium lower, Cr-Mo steerer, black alloy 32mm stanchions, cold forged alloy crown, coil spring w/ air assist
these are the forks on it now......are these good forks?

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Nope not really. There are alot of people who run Manitou Gold Label forks, some people think they are the best Urban/DJ forks made. I really like them, absolutely wonderful forks.

Since you want to be riding a bit of Urban/Freeride/Downhill/DJ a slammed Rock Shox pike might be good for you. It would retain its U-Turn feature allowing you to adjust travel on the fly, but it would sit lower when turned all the way down. XSL_Will also modded his Pike so with the U-Turn feature it can go from 95mm to 160mm with the turn of a knob.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
goosy said:
these are the forks on it now......are these good forks?
the dirt jam will hold up just fine. its the SL model, a little nicer than the other dirt jams. if you really wanted to upgrade, go for a gold label.

·
Registered
445 Posts
don't upgrade the fork

upgrade the brakes

the hayes sole are crappy
worse than bb5 and bb7 mechanicals..

check out the '07 to see what it comes with, they might have switched to avid mechanicals??

its worht paying more for the '07, unless you can get like 300 off the '06 and buy new brakes

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
goosy said:
hi guys.
I already have a avanti ventura 07 model for my everyday riding but in a week ill be buying a 2006 specialized p2......my question is .....how much punishment can these bikes handle?

i want to go downhill on it but not too extreme.......nothing like freeriding......\
just some places like fox creek.....or eagle mountain......will my bike be able to handle it?

of course i would have prefered a p3 but at 2700 its just a biut out of my price range.

im getting the p2 for 1400
keep in mind the P series bikes are NOT Downhill bikes, regardless of what other people here say. They are steep, short and setup more for dj/park/urban/4X. you can obviously still ride them however you want, and they should be able to take a lot, but they just aren't the ideal bike for dh/fr.

If you are spending that kind of money, I'd personally recommend to look elsewhere, or rethink what uses you want out of the bike exactly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
keep in mind the P series bikes are NOT Downhill bikes, regardless of what other people here say. They are steep, short and setup more for dj/park/urban/4X. you can obviously still ride them however you want, and they should be able to take a lot, but they just aren't the ideal bike for dh/fr.

If you are spending that kind of money, I'd personally recommend to look elsewhere, or rethink what uses you want out of the bike exactly.
the majority of my riding will be jumping with the odd downhill session......
As i said it wont be full on down hill...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.