Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently have purchased a 2006 Slayer 50, size 19. Have had a squeak in the the pivot points. Took them apart regreased them and has seemed to cure the issue. This bike owns on the downhill.

I put a set of Boxxer Race 2005 on the Slayer to see how it would handle on a downhill. It owned. The handling was incredible. Basically just choose a line and go.

The only extra I had to purchase was a Fox shock pump, and Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals. Bike is good enough to race or ride all mountain stock.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey same here, i just bought same exact bike last thursday! Only problem I have noticed (and Im sure its just something im missing) is that the rear suspension tends to pack up a bit when climbing. Ive adjusted the air and the rebound etc, but yesterday when I went riding (it was over 100 maybe thats why) it really seemed to do it, even in pro-pedal mode. Oh well. The downhill makes it worth it.

Heres a question you may or may not know the answer to: What pressure do you have the fork at? I weigh about 245, and supposedly the shop set it up for me, but when I went to check the pressure it registered at only like 20psi. The manual says set it to like 50 psi, and when I did that it was so hard it was unrideable. Any ideas? Like I said you might not know, and Ive already sent a question into marzocchi about it, just because I don't want to do anything that will damage it.

I'd have to say that the best thing about this bike is how confidence inspiring it is. I used to have a 2004 enduro, and while that was a great bike, I always got a little nervous in the rough stuff, where now I can clear things I second guessed myself on before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forks.

I had taken off the stock forks on my Slayer, because you can only put a 2.5 for a maximum width on the front with those forks. I have a 2.65 on the front now, and find it to be much better in the soft dirt and muddy sections of the races. I had put a Rock Shox boxxer on the front. It handles much better for me with this fork. I actually race cross country with my bike. I am 210 lbs. and have no trouble riding it up hills. Maybe it is that I am stronger than the average little guy. But I am going in an enduro race this weekend that is very treacherous. I will let you know how it makes out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
nsbucky said:
Heres a question you may or may not know the answer to: What pressure do you have the fork at? I weigh about 245, and supposedly the shop set it up for me, but when I went to check the pressure it registered at only like 20psi.
I'm in the same boat. I'm 6' 2" & 245lbs and the LBS set mine up at about 25psi. It was VERY plush on the first two rides. I set it to about 50psi and it was also very stiff. I dialed it back to 40-ish psi and it is about perfect. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the ride!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.