Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
trail n00b
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a 2006 Giant Reign 2 or 3 (if I can find one).

Anyone want to share with me the pros and cons of grabbing a 2 versus a 3?...I'm curious to hear some people's opinions on the breakdown of comparision of components...

(grabbed off web, hopefully all correct)

2006 Giant Reign 2
=================================
FRAME ALUXX butted aluminium, Maestro suspension system, 6" travel
FORK Manitou Nixon Super air, 20mm thru axle, 145mm travel
SHOCK Fox Float RP3
HANDLEBAR RaceFace Evolve XC
STEM RaceFace Evolve XC
SEAT POST RaceFace Evolve
SADDLE WTB Pure V Race
PEDALS N/A
SHIFTERS SRAM X.7 27 speed triggers
FRONT MECH Shimano LX
REAR MECH SRAM X.9
BRAKES Hayes HFX 9 XC
BRAKE LEVERS Hayes
CASSETTE SRAM PG980 11-34
CHAIN Shimano HG 53
CRANKS RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type 22/32/44
BOTTOM BRACKET RaceFace X-Type
RIMS WTB LaserDisc Trail
HUBS DT Cerit Disc with Formula thru axle front
SPOKES Stainless steel
TYRES Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal folding, 26x2.3"
WEIGHT 14.5kg/31.9lb

2006 Giant Reign 3
=================================
FRAME ALUXX butted aluminium, Maestro suspension system, 6" travel
FORK RockShox TORA 302 air, 130mm travel
SHOCK Fox Float R
HANDLEBAR Easton EA30
STEM Easton EA50
SEAT POST Easton EA50
SADDLE WTB Pure V Comp
PEDALS N/A
SHIFTERS SRAM X.7 27 speed triggers
FRONT MECH Shimano LX
REAR MECH SRAM X.7
BRAKES Hayes Sole
BRAKE LEVERS Hayes Sole
CASSETTE SRAM PG950 11-34
CHAIN Shimano HG 53
CRANKS RaceFace Ride XC 22/32/44
BOTTOM BRACKET RaceFace SRX ISIS
RIMS WTB SpeedDisc Trail
HUBS Formula disc
SPOKES Stainless steel
TYRES Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal wire, 26x2.3"
WEIGHT 15kg/33lb

This will be my first all suspension bike and of course extreme for most of the trails around here in Austin, TX, but I make a lot of trips to the Rockys each year...so I wanted to get something that has a lot of room to expand if need be..

Local shops here have ONLY a limited 2006 Reign 3s at around $1500-1600 (no 1s or 2s since noone typically buys these here)...That price is without asking for any type of discount. I'm seeing prices online around $1300 for the 3's (not sure if they are even instock though).

I think what I'm really curious about is what would it take $$$ to upgrade the 3 to have it excel over the 2 or even 1 (weight, suspension, braking power)...and if its worth going that route versus just paying right out at front getting a 1 or 2 or even holding off on a 2007 model.

any suggestions?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
553 Posts
Generally whole bikes are cheaper than bits 'n pieces.

The extra fork travel w/thru-axle and component spec upgrade in nearly every catagory would seal the deal fo me.

Get the reign 2.

Is lighter too................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
Overall the Reign 2 is worth the extra $$. Particularly if you reckon that you'd want to upgrade any major bits on the R3.
I found the EA30 bars pretty flexy on my trance and I'm pretty light weight.

Buyin to upgrade is good if for example you can't find a complete bike with the sort of specs that satisfy you. But in the end to upgrade a Reign 3 so that it's spec came even to or surpassed the Reign 2 would cost you heaps more (but that depends alot on what cost you can recoup from the stock components that you are replacing). Be realistinc and price the upgrade of the 3 most expensive components - fork, wheelset and brakes, that should show you wether it's worthwhile or not. Bar/Stem/Seatpost aren't as much of an outlay.

To upgrade a wheelset & brakes on my Trance 3 alone would probably cost me the same amount I could have paid extra to get a brand new Trance 2 with the equivalent components already on it not to mention all the other upgraded components

But then again if you can only find Reign 3's available then you can't help that, just try & get a great deal.
And some people really enjoy upgrading (ok everyone probably does), finding the bits they want, getting them on sale etc etc and since they enjoy doing it don't mind paying more to get a bike custom to their liking
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
The most glaring differences i see between the two are the weight and the brakes. The hayes soles are not a great brakes for a gnarly bike like the Reign. There are a lot of differences in other components that don't have much performance gain, other than weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
unless you have specific parts that you want to upgrade to, i would look at the 2.

i bought the 3, but i had specific parts i wanted on my bike that i would sooner or later upgrade.

the 2 is a very good spec.

G
 

·
trail n00b
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pitto said:
unless you have specific parts that you want to upgrade to, i would look at the 2.

i bought the 3, but i had specific parts i wanted on my bike that i would sooner or later upgrade.

the 2 is a very good spec.

G
just picked up 18" 2006 Reign 3 today locally for $1500. Not the deal of lifetime, but noone locally could guarantee even finding a 2006 Reign 2 (maybe a 16")...and I didn't really want to hassel with playing the ebay game or trying to hunt down one on the net.

I would have liked to have gotten the 2 and would have bought that today if they had one instock or could have gotten one, but noone could guarantee that....so I went with the blue.

I'm sure I'll be happy with this and I'll upgrade anything I feel needs it as I go along.

thanks for all the input guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
kwhy said:
just picked up 18" 2006 Reign 3 today locally for $1500. Not the deal of lifetime, but noone locally could guarantee even finding a 2006 Reign 2 (maybe a 16")...and I didn't really want to hassel with playing the ebay game or trying to hunt down one on the net.

I would have liked to have gotten the 2 and would have bought that today if they had one instock or could have gotten one, but noone could guarantee that....so I went with the blue.

I'm sure I'll be happy with this and I'll upgrade anything I feel needs it as I go along.

thanks for all the input guys!
even with the standard spec, its an awsome bike. you will love riding the R3

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Good deal on the R3, you will enjoy the bike. Only thing I can see in the R2 over the R3 that you might miss/feel is the 20mm through axle fork. Would have been better to get the R2 as upgrading the R# will cost you more, but at least you got a upgrade worthy frame. Watch out for the crappy SRX bottom bracket.

Energetix, how much do you weigh - seriously? I got the EA30's on my Trance which soon came off 'cause I manage to nab a set of Bontrager Racelight 31.8 OS bar & stem from a riding bud, but now they are back on and I can't say I feel them flexing - Bontrager stem was 10mm shorter and now I have found I like the longer standard stem that came on the T3.
energetix said:
...................I found the EA30 bars pretty flexy on my trance and I'm pretty light weight................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
LyNx said:
Good deal on the R3, you will enjoy the bike. Only thing I can see in the R2 over the R3 that you might miss/feel is the 20mm through axle fork. Would have been better to get the R2 as upgrading the R# will cost you more, but at least you got a upgrade worthy frame. Watch out for the crappy SRX bottom bracket.

Energetix, how much do you weigh - seriously? I got the EA30's on my Trance which soon came off 'cause I manage to nab a set of Bontrager Racelight 31.8 OS bar & stem from a riding bud, but now they are back on and I can't say I feel them flexing - Bontrager stem was 10mm shorter and now I have found I like the longer standard stem that came on the T3.
I'm not heavy by most standards - around 60kg (approx 130lb). But if I stood there & pushed down on my bars they would noticeably flex (shrug emotion here). I have race face bars now & they definitely don't. I agree I thought it was a bit strange with the EA30's particularly a relatively light preson like me & also considering they are specced on the reign. I must say though that I found the EA30 components weighed very close to (some of them slightly less) than comparable EA50 components, so I guess strong , light, cheap may have come into the equation. But since others haven't found the same thing maybe there was a bad batch here in Oz.

In my opinion flex isn't necessarily a bad thing, particulary if you're not a big preson. I mainly upgraded because for one I put the EA30 stuff on the Hardrock I was selling to sweeten the deal and also prefer the look of OS bars. Took me a while to get the cockpit figured out to my liking as well.

Kwhy, congratulations on your purchase. You'll love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
You worry Me!

You know Energetix, you worry me :yikes: I am a light weight for my height, but still weigh 170+ w/out gear around 185+ w/ gear and when I start to get up and crank I really use the bars to pull against. I will try to keep an eye out next ride I'm on and hammering out the saddle -although I try not to do this too much these days, trying to spin instead unless it's really short.

energetix said:
I'm not heavy by most standards - around 60kg (approx 130lb). But if I stood there & pushed down on my bars they would noticeably flex (shrug emotion here). I have race face bars now & they definitely don't. I agree I thought it was a bit strange with the EA30's particularly a relatively light preson like me & also considering they are specced on the reign. I must say though that I found the EA30 components weighed very close to (some of them slightly less) than comparable EA50 components, so I guess strong , light, cheap may have come into the equation. But since others haven't found the same thing maybe there was a bad batch here in Oz.

In my opinion flex isn't necessarily a bad thing, particulary if you're not a big preson. I mainly upgraded because for one I put the EA30 stuff on the Hardrock I was selling to sweeten the deal and also prefer the look of OS bars. Took me a while to get the cockpit figured out to my liking as well.

Kwhy, congratulations on your purchase. You'll love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
I don't think it was so much noticeable when riding - mainly like I said standing next to the bike & pushing down on them. Before you say anything - no it wasn't just the fork moving!
Mind you I had switched between those & hussefelts at the time. Probably not fair to even compare the RF Deus bars because they are OS as opposed to standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
throw a set of BB7s on your R3 and then have fun...

you can even leave the Hayes rotors right where they are- they work great. You can probably get new bb7s for $120 front and rear, including levers/cables/housing. You can install them in about an hour yourself. I even managed to buy a new bb7, caliper only, at Performance, for $30 in their "parts bin." The Soles are definately the weak spot on your R3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Leave the Hayes until they give you trouble - I've got 500+ miles on mine over the last year, of aggressive trail use, and haven't had any trouble, haven't done any maintenance to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I got myself a Reign 3 with the idea that, as I don't race, I don't really need to waste money on high end groupsets etc. So what I did was put the fork on ebay and added my spare cash towards a Pike 454 which complements the bike so well... It also leaves room for the odd upgrade or change which you're bound to need - I wanted a shorter stem for example.
That's the way forward I'd say. It's worth getting a top fork rather than an average one like the Nixon, (sorry if that offends!)
Cheers,

Steve Rodriguez, Glasgow, U.K.
 

·
trail n00b
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So ...

1 hr after my FIRST ride on my new Reign 3 the right crank arm drops off on the trail...luckily I'm not doing anything drastic...

I guess you could say it was a really BAD oversite of me not checking to ensure everything was tightened down, but sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the LBS...but as I said I should have checked all of that first.

No noticeable damage, but I lost the outer crank puller cap for the Raceface Ride XC (its a left handed thread M27X1)...anyone know where I might get the cap?

Now I'm not sure if its because the crank puller cap gone is or if I need some loctite and more torque on the bottom thread, but the cranks are still coming loose now after any drastic jumping and riding for more than 1hr..

I haven't called the LBS yet where I got the bike yet to see if would get me the part....though I'm wondering now how difficult it might be to get?

Anyone know if this part will be availiable for order easily from Raceface?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
take it back to the LBS as i have heard of this happening before. They should be able to help you out with the cap too. i would also get them to check anything else that may cause you issues, as you want to get out and ride, not be dealing with mechanicals that will overshadow a great bike.

G
 

·
trail n00b
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
still haven't had time to drive up to LBS.....

I think I might be missing a spacer as well...

This is for a Raceface Ride XC (standard on 2006 Reign 3)...

blue arrow is where the Crank Puller Cap should be..

red arrow, notice the threads...should there be a spacer or seal there to keep dirt ect from getting in there?

This is the left side pedal.

I just can't believe I lost ALL that stuff when my pedal fell off, yet I was able to immediately find the one crank bolt on the ground, which leaves me thinking maybe the spacer wasn't there?!

 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top