Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my little brother wants to get in to MTBing so i am helping him look for a bike. I do mostly FR/DH but since he is a beginer i dont really feel it is important he get a a 4500$ FR/DH. I came across a Thunderball in my town that is in really good condition. The guy is asking 400$ for it. The only uprgrades he made was putting hayes 9 hydro brakes on it and throwing some lock on grips on. I dont know much about DJ bikes so i figured why not ask the pros. the reason i am lookin at this for my bro is because is got a nice fr geometry to it and it seems like it will be versatile til he knows for sure what kind of riding he wants to do or if he even sticks with it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks alright. The geo is sorta weird (for DJ)? maybe thats just me. But how old is he? Seems like a good bike to start out riding on. I probably WOULDNT pass that offer up.
is it this bike?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just bought a 2004 GT Moto still in the box for $400 today! I was going to spend almost $1000 on a newer bike like a P or the STP but could'nt pass on the deal. I figure, I'm getting a left over w/ decent parts and a good frame, so the fact that it's not a 2006 or 2007 doesnt bother me.

I just checked ebay and there is still one for sale for like $419 or something. Honestly its a much better bike than the mongoose. The only two drawbacks of this GT is that, although the bike is completly unused, it's a few years old, and the Marz Drop Off is not the best fork, but again it's a good deal, and it's warranteed since it's still considered new, and I'm the original owner.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is 14 and the bike is a small also thats the bike but it doesnt have a manitou like it shows it had a marz Dj pro. and yea i noticed the gerometry also. he wont be dirtjumping hardcore but the geo looks like it would work for some All Mtn stuff. Ill try to get the guy down to 350$ and if not ill have him get the moto... the geometry of the moto looks more legit.

·
Slopestyle Rider
2,448 Posts
I ride a Mongoose Hardball, which is similar to the Thunderball and I really like it. I rode and won a pro mtb dirt jump comp here at Winter Park Resort this past summer and my bike was box stock.... So your lil brother oughta be just fine on it. The only thing I don't like about my bike is that it's hard to manual due to the longer rear end... But I jump more than manual so it's all good...

Joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.