Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fun-O-Meter
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone open one of these up? My 06 66 SL loses travel, and when I spoke with Marzocchi, they diagnosed the problem and send me a new seal. They told me the cart is user servicable, and I know my way around a wrench.

My problem is I can't get the cartridge itself open. I'm afraid to really clamp down on it in a vise. The best grip I've found so far is wrapping it in a layer of athletic tape, then putting it in the vise. I've heated the threads on the cap to break down the locktight (as instructed by Marzocchi), but I still can't get the cap to budge.

Anyone get theirs open?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
rich.grandzol said:
Anyone open one of these up? My 06 66 SL loses travel, and when I spoke with Marzocchi, they diagnosed the problem and send me a new seal. They told me the cart is user servicable, and I know my way around a wrench.

My problem is I can't get the cartridge itself open. I'm afraid to really clamp down on it in a vise. The best grip I've found so far is wrapping it in a layer of athletic tape, then putting it in the vise. I've heated the threads on the cap to break down the locktight (as instructed by Marzocchi), but I still can't get the cap to budge.

Anyone get theirs open?
I have never been able to get mine open either. Maybe drill a hole in a block of wood that is the same size as the cartridge then and cut it in half and then use that in a vice then wrap the cartridge in atheletic tape. It would distribute the force of the vice better. Get a bigger wrench and push harder? Im surprized that marzocchi said that the cartridge is user servicable. I replaced mine with and X cartridge and turned my 06 66sl into an RC2x. It feels soooo much nicer! I dont see myself going back to air any time soon:D

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I haven't been into my '06 66SL's cart...no need at this point...and I'm not looking at one in the flesh at this moment. However, a small clamp vise is the usual tool used for working on suspension components like these...see pic. The suggestion of modifying a block of wood for a homemade vise has some merit also. Just be careful.

As to recommending a different cart, I've done a fair amount of Marz fork modding over the years, and personally I like the performance of the Doppio cart and the extreme tunability that it offers. People are different though, and other knowledgeable folks on this forum have differing opinons on this issue. Please keep us up to date on how and when you get your cart apart, when and if that happens.

Attachments

·
Fun-O-Meter
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually have an RC2X also. I had the SL tuned pretty good, so I only notice small improvements in performance, mostly small-bump compliance with the RC2X.

I'm fixing the SL for the light-freeride bike we're building for my girlfriend. I think she'll appreciate the weight savings and not notice the minor performance drawbacks.

·
Fun-O-Meter
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally

So, after having the broken fork sit in my garage all winter, and needing it for my gf's new Syren, I finally broke open the doppio cartridge and replaced all the seals. That didn't fix the problem, though! The fork was still losing travel during compression, and the negative air pressure was still building up. I took the cartridge and put it underwater to try to figure out what was leaking, and discovered that cycling the piston would draw water into the cart. Turns out the valve was bad. Of course, the valves are so deep a regular valve tool doesn't reach them, so I had to custom make one out of an old screwdriver. End result: the fork is fixed and put back together! I pick up the Syren tomorrow and we'll build it after work.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
That was pretty smart!!!!!

Renegade recommended me a rubber grip tool to hold the cartridge, but someone said in another thread that grabbing the body (in its thickest part of course) with a tire tube also worked... but you need a bit more effort.

I will try to open it soon and pour some grease in the piston to remove the stiction once it comes back..

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
The "dripping the oil into the shraeder valve method" is pretty ineffective. Fork oil, or any oil, is not a good lubricant for the doppio pistin seals. Opening the cart, and liberally applying grease to the piston and inside of the cartridge body, has been very effective for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.