Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I currently have the 05 sherman flick plus on my 05 Versus blitz and have the oppertunity to trade even up for an '05 Marzocchi 66rc. Would that be a smart trade? Most of my riding is freeriding/some chairlift runs and occasional aggressive XC. What do you guys think?
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
You just need to weigh...literally...how much you want to compromise between aggressive XC and your FR needs. The Flick Plus is probably a better trail fork. At 6" it's probably the better trail fork due to its weight. The 66 is definitely the better FR fork, but it's darned heavy.

Overall on a Blitz, I think I'd go with the 66 in an even trade. The 66 is a far more valuable fork economically. The Blitz is a good bike but probably not as great as an XC trail bike. I'd leave the Blitz equipped with the 66 and look for a used trail bike of some kind.

Make the trade. You can find a used Flick Plus for a fraction of what you can find a good used 66RC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Absolutely. The 66 is a magnificent fork. I have an 06 rc2x and it is by far the best fork I've ever ridden, barring maybe the totem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TNC said:
You just need to weigh...literally...how much you want to compromise between aggressive XC and your FR needs. The Flick Plus is probably a better trail fork. At 6" it's probably the better trail fork due to its weight. The 66 is definitely the better FR fork, but it's darned heavy.

Overall on a Blitz, I think I'd go with the 66 in an even trade. The 66 is a far more valuable fork economically. The Blitz is a good bike but probably not as great as an XC trail bike. I'd leave the Blitz equipped with the 66 and look for a used trail bike of some kind.

Make the trade. You can find a used Flick Plus for a fraction of what you can find a good used 66RC.
I have the trail bike covered. I have an 02 RM slayer that is my agressive XC rider (just need a fork to finish building her back up). What how much heavier is the 66 then the flick??? And what do you think a good condition used 05 66 would run?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
chibow said:
I have the trail bike covered. I have an 02 RM slayer that is my agressive XC rider (just need a fork to finish building her back up). What how much heavier is the 66 then the flick??? And what do you think a good condition used 05 66 would run?
Found a 170mm new 2006 66VF2 for $375

They ride 10mm lower than the 06 150mm version by the way, so the height is good.
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/222213/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,856 Posts
chibow said:
Hello all. I currently have the 05 sherman flick plus on my 05 Versus blitz and have the oppertunity to trade even up for an '05 Marzocchi 66rc. Would that be a smart trade? Most of my riding is freeriding/some chairlift runs and occasional aggressive XC. What do you guys think?
Oh an '05 RC, that's a tall fork (595mm a-c)
 

·
MattSavage
Joined
·
2,481 Posts
chibow said:
Hello all. I currently have the 05 sherman flick plus on my 05 Versus blitz and have the oppertunity to trade even up for an '05 Marzocchi 66rc. Would that be a smart trade? Most of my riding is freeriding/some chairlift runs and occasional aggressive XC. What do you guys think?
I'd rather stick with the Flick for the lighter weight and lower front end. Then again, you could make the trade, then sell it and buy a Travis 150 which blows both away!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
Hmmm, this is for an '05 66?

If I were you, I'd go with the '07 66RC ETA - SO good! and the eta makes climbing to the top a breeze...
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
TPC+ is tons better dampening than marzocchi's SSVF. the flick is a superior fork to the 66VF in my opinion. only thing that the SSVF has going for it is the 35mm stauntions really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
todd_freeride said:
TPC+ is tons better dampening than marzocchi's SSVF. the flick is a superior fork to the 66VF in my opinion. only thing that the SSVF has going for it is the 35mm stauntions really.
He's talking about an RC, not a VF.

Make the trade. The 66 blows the Sherman away as a freeride fork, and you've got a trail bike. There's no reason to keep the Sherman.
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
He's talking about an RC, not a VF.
Make the trade. The 66 blows the Sherman away as a freeride fork, and you've got a trail bike. There's no reason to keep the Sherman.
I was commenting on the idea of a 06 VF2. he might want to seriously check it out first.

see if your bike will be able to handle the fork. 05's are super tall. the 150mm RC rides like a 170mm fork. the 170mm rode like a 200mm. take that into consideration. its not a problem with strength, the blitz is a super beefy frame. but it might funk with your geo.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
'05 and '06 models?

chibow said:
I have the trail bike covered. I have an 02 RM slayer that is my agressive XC rider (just need a fork to finish building her back up). What how much heavier is the 66 then the flick??? And what do you think a good condition used 05 66 would run?
I can't remember for sure, but aren't the '05 66's the ones that were crazy tall for their 6" travel. And the 66VF model doesn't have very good damping like the RC models. I'd estimate that an '06 66RC weighs about a pound heavier than the 6" Flick Plus. Get the '06 66RC you were considering in the first place...sounds like the best for what you describe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
TNC said:
I can't remember for sure, but aren't the '05 66's the ones that were crazy tall for their 6" travel. And the 66VF model doesn't have very good damping like the RC models. I'd estimate that an '06 66RC weighs about a pound heavier than the 6" Flick Plus. Get the '06 66RC you were considering in the first place...sounds like the best for what you describe.
Yeah, the '05s are really tall. 60 mm taller than the 36, and 10mm more travel. :skep: The Blitz should have no problem though, especially if it's the 150mm version. The 170 might be pushing things. I forget, can the 170mm 66 be reduced to 150?

Anyway, the RC is a good move. The VF kind of came out of nowhere when todd_freeride brought it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
snowforner15 said:
defiantly do the trade

but is therea large weight difference between the 05 rc and 06 rc2x? both 170mm?? i know the ride height is way diff
I think weight isn't too different. The '05 RC came in both 150 and 170mm versions. The RC2X is a bit more adjustable, and a butt load lower.
 

·
Me hates pinchflat
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
snowforner15 said:
defiantly do the trade

but is therea large weight difference between the 05 rc and 06 rc2x? both 170mm?? i know the ride height is way diff
The 06 is 30mm lower than the 05. The only disadvantage of that is that the flat crowns they used to do that sometimes hit the downtube of some bikes.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
From an economic standpoint, I'd say do it. The 66rc is worth more money. It is crazy tall, but nothing that a Blitz can't handle. If you decide that you don't like it, ebay it and buy another Sherman.

If your Sherman is an SPV fork, they tend to be notchy. They pedal great, but not very good for freeride. You can make it feel a lot more like TPC by doing a "devolve."
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top