Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading from a Manitou Minute (130mm) to something with a little more travel and have seen the '06 Nixon's going for a bargain.. though i'm undecided between the Nixon Super Intrinsic or the Nixon Super TPC... which are about the same price..

The Super Intrinsic has the Intrinsic Cartridge SPV (Stable Platform Valve) damping, while the Super TPC has the (Twin Piston Chamber) compression damping adjustment..
(I am not too sure whether the '06 Super TPC is the reworked TPC+)

Greatly appreciate anyones input on these two forks..
Cheers:thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I'm not familiar with a how the Intrinsic damping feels in a Manitou fork, but I've had 2 TPC+ and 1 TPC Manitou forks and thought they performed really well. They are very nice shimmed dampers and not just some cheap ported orifice setup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
posted by TNC
I've had 2 TPC+ and 1 TPC Manitou forks and thought they performed really well
Sweet.. what was the difference between the TPC and the TPC+?? was it just an upgrade to a later model?

posted by Merkyworks
i got a 06 super with tpc+ and like it.
sweet.. i have heard a better response so far about the TPC over the Intrinsic dampening.. even though the TPC was offered on their cheaper models.. might be the way to go..

cheers for the response..
any other Nixon users out there got a word to say?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
My best comparison was a Sherman Firely (TPC+) and a Sherman Flick Plus (TPC). The TPC+ is a more aggressive damper in that it can take a bigger hit with a little more control...like it has more high speed damping. That said, for me in the Firefly it was a little too much and was a just a tad harsh, even with the relatively soft OEM Ti spring. The Flick's TPC was more supple and made for a much better trail fork, and that was even with stepping "up" on the spring. The TPC still did quite well for me for pretty big hits without bottoming. The TPC+ seems to work better for really heavy riders or people who drop/huck a good bit. The TPC might actually be the better overall trail damper. My results were also with running the compression adjuster on both forks fully open. Maybe 2wt. oil in the TPC+ would have helped.

Funny thing is that the same guy at the shop bought both of these forks from me and ran them on the same bike one right after the other. He's bigger and heavier than me and is a slightly more aggressive rider. He came to the same conclusion and still has the Flick Plus on his Heckler.

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
936 Posts
I have been runing two Travis 150mm and 203mm travel, one for about over a year and the other for about 4 months.
both have the Intrinsinc danping and like the TPC PLUS they work awesome, i haven't have one single problem, I just have a chance to try the 06 Nixon Super Intrinsinc and was really impressed, i'm thinking about switch the Travis 150mm for the new 07 Nixon, about
2lbs lighter.

regards

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Both are nice....

....but one is more proven, imo.

I've got a 180mm SC Travis with intrinsic and it feels really incredible (very plush), but the intrinsic cartridge has blown up on me 3 times. I've had direct and detailed contact with Manitou tech reps about the issue. I haven't heard this being an issue with Nixons and that's likely because it's intended use isn't the same as the Travis, but it's worth noting.

The Intrinisc damping was released in '06 and it has some hiccups that they are working out in the '07 cartridge design. It isn't a big problem that affects many people, but it's something they've seen in areas where riders get tons of sustained vert (e.g. whistler, Les Gets, etc.). In particular, the intrinsic cartridge heats up on long descents with multiple hits. Then, when you hit something big, it blows through the cartridge and then all damping is gone. Incidentally, the last time I blew up my intrinsic cartridge, they replaced it with a TPC+ cartridge. I haven't really ridden the fork with the TPC+ because it was replaced in mid-October. Manitou will be replacing the TPC+ cartridge with the '07 intrinsic cartridge when those come out in the spring.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
vicarious intension said:
I'm upgrading from a Manitou Minute (130mm) to something with a little more travel and have seen the '06 Nixon's going for a bargain.. though i'm undecided between the Nixon Super Intrinsic or the Nixon Super TPC... which are about the same price..

The Super Intrinsic has the Intrinsic Cartridge SPV (Stable Platform Valve) damping, while the Super TPC has the (Twin Piston Chamber) compression damping adjustment..

Also, the Nixon Elite has RTWD and TPC ('05) or TPC+ ('06) and there are clearance prices on them too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TNC, cheers for your insights on the TPC and TPC+, much appreciated.:thumbsup:
originally posted by pvflyer
I just have a chance to try the 06 Nixon Super Intrinsinc and was really impressed
allthough i have heard plenty as good reports on the Intrinsic, i don't want to be caught out down the track after a bit of hard use.. as ebxtreme states, it isn't really proven, it is first gen. technology (for '06) and although i won't be going as big as where most of the riders have sustained problems with the fork, i don't won't to go thru the hassle and process of sending it back to Manitou if it were to happen.. the 2nd gen. '07 Nixon's with the Intrinsic damping are probably the way to go... though i think my budget at the mo. is limiting me to the clearance '05-'06 sales..
so.. i guess i am leaning towards the TPC/TPC+ as i will be most likely going for an '05-'06 model..
thanks again fellas

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
TNC said:
My best comparison was a Sherman Firely (TPC+) and a Sherman Flick Plus (TPC). The TPC+ is a more aggressive damper in that it can take a bigger hit with a little more control...like it has more high speed damping. That said, for me in the Firefly it was a little too much and was a just a tad harsh, even with the relatively soft OEM Ti spring. The Flick's TPC was more supple and made for a much better trail fork, and that was even with stepping "up" on the spring. The TPC still did quite well for me for pretty big hits without bottoming. The TPC+ seems to work better for really heavy riders or people who drop/huck a good bit. The TPC might actually be the better overall trail damper. My results were also with running the compression adjuster on both forks fully open. Maybe 2wt. oil in the TPC+ would have helped.

Funny thing is that the same guy at the shop bought both of these forks from me and ran them on the same bike one right after the other. He's bigger and heavier than me and is a slightly more aggressive rider. He came to the same conclusion and still has the Flick Plus on his Heckler.
I love hearing good things about the Sherman Flick Plus's. I have one and LOVED it. If it was a little shorter, I'd keep it on the Liquid. 150mm is just a tick much though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm running an '05 Nixon Platinum and, while I like the fork, I am not too keen on SPV. My old TPC Sherman seemed to be be much more responsive. The intirinsic is supposed to be better, but I would still probably opt for TPC.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nixon SPV

If you like SPV, get the 05 Nixon Platinum. I love my minute but upgraded to the 06 Nixon Platinum. and I must say that the intrinsic is different from SPV. I actually like the SPV more than the Intrinsic on the climb. But they both bad a$$e$ on the descend.

The Nixon elite(TPC) coil/air is almost a half a pound heavier but much stiffer. More responssive on the descend but a with some bobs on the climb.

·
Registered
202 Posts
OT- Thru axle problem

06 Nixon Super- was changing a front flat and noticed the casting where the cinch bolts hold the axle was broken,lower fork leg is shot.Was riding a very rocky place and bottomed hard a few times.Just making you aware of this potential problem.Will let you know how Answer handles it,still under warranty.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
That pinch bolt deal on some Nixons has been around for awhile, and in reality it's been evident on quite a few other brands of forks. But it's almost always a result of either improper tightening sequence and/or over tightening. Though the Nixon may be a tad more sensitive to this, I don't think you'll see it when great care it taken not to overtorque the pinch bolts. Manitou has been surprisingly good about warranty on this issue, even when over tightening was the cause.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Your probably right about over torque but its hard to tell when repairing a wheel on the trail.When fixed I think I would just tighten down on 1 of the bolts.going back and forth between the 2 it always seems like on is loose

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gen the Intrinsic...

vicarious intension said:

No ! it's not an upgraded SPV, it's an all new cartridge (not stable at all), and it's work just great. I have the Nixon Platinum and the Travis TI, and both Intrinsic. I hed before Dorado TPC+ and SX TPC.
If you want, I'm selling my Platinum - 6 month old under warranty. I'm getting the 160mm version.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
nintense said:
No ! it's not an upgraded SPV, it's an all new cartridge (not stable at all), and it's work just great. I have the Nixon Platinum and the Travis TI, and both Intrinsic. I hed before Dorado TPC+ and SX TPC.
If you want, I'm selling my Platinum - 6 month old under warranty. I'm getting the 160mm version.
Email/PM sent

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.