Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There were 56 starters (including 5 women) and 24 finishers (including 4 women).

Overall results:
1) Jon Brown 13:26 (overall course record, single speed course record)
2) Dave Harris 13:55
3) Jason Stubbe 14:11
4) Jay Petervary 14:41
5) Fred Wilkinson 14:48
6) Ethan Passant 14:53
7) Lynda Wallenfels 15:03 (female course record)
8) Jari Kirkland 16:28
9) Fred Marmsater 16:29
10) Adam Lisonbee 17:25
11) Marko Ross-Bryant 17:31
12) Rob Writz 17:37
13) Ed Ellinger 17:42
14) Stefan Griebel 18:40
15) Jenna Woodbury 18:59
16) Keith Richards-Dinger 19:11
17) Andrew Mesesan 19:12
18) Greg Bachman 19:29
19) Cat Morrison 20:25
20) Brad Kee 20:35
21) Bill Shand 22:11
22) Pierre Ostor 23:57
23) Essam Welch 24:30
24) Erika Van Meter 26:30

The high point (for me) of this year's race was sitting at the finish and listening to all of the stories. Not having raced, listening helped to ease the sting of being 'on the outside'. I hope that many/most/all of those involved can find the time to chime in here with a few thoughts or an anecdote from their day. Some of my favorites:
* Andrew Mesesan starting the race with a cracked frame.
* Jon Brown laying waste to the course record on a single speed bike, then downplaying the effort with an "Aww shucks, 'tweren't nuthin'" attitude as he soaked up the shade and the beer.
* Lynda Wallenfels scorching the course and placing 7th overall. She was the only one still bubbling and light on her feet afterwards.
* Dave Harris jumping into Salt Creek to cool off ~15 miles before the finish. Too bad he was too cooked to remember the Ipod and digi cam inside his jersey...
* Bill, Pierre, and Erika soldiering on to finish in the wee hours. I think these three believe that the other 20 got shorted because they didn't get as much saddle time...
* Countless stories of climbing into the La Sals under the light of a full moon that was bright enough to sew by.

Hope to hear some more.

DNF's:
Dean Cahow
Adam Bartlett
Marshall Bird
Joe Hardin
Dave Allen
Josh Squires
Gary Dye
Kevin Gillest
Josh Darnell
Lee Blackwell
Sargent McDonald
Alan Doak
Tom Stack
Bob Dawson
Brian Hannon
Jennifer Kwasnewski
Jesper Kristensen
Jim Ishman
Danny Armstrong
Kenny Jones
Jake Anderson
Travis Macy
Jon Bailey
Steve "Dr. Doom" Fassbinder
Rick Hudak
Scott Morris
Alex Dolpp
Jim Leikert
Nye Brennan
Dejay Birtch
Jake Kirkpatrick
Tom Warr

Most of the DNF's were dehydration/depletion related. While the high temp was only 85 degrees, the aridity of the region combined with the 4500' to 9000' elevations sucked the moisture out of the racers faster than they could put it back in. Nausea (due to dehydration) and sun/heatstroke were commonly reported among finishers and DNF's alike.

There were two injuries (Travis Macy broke his collarbone and Nye Brennan seperated his shoulder) but both riders were able to make it safely off course due to the kindness/sacrifices of others. To Steve Fassbinder and Rick Hudak, both of whom ended their races to assist these guys off the course: I wish the world had more people like you. Thanks.

The low point (for me) of this year's race was the widespread cheating. With the largest KTR field ever came the largest number of rules infractions ever. I witnessed many racers accepting assistance, drafting, and cutting the course, not to mention the reports/complaints I fielded from other racers of similar instances. When confronted with their infractions, these racers either denied them or tried to rationalize them. I thought long and hard about DQ'ing some of the cheaters, but decided against it. Rather than incur their misplaced wrath and create enemies and bad feelings, I simply listed the time that they crossed the line and I hope that karma sorts them out.

At this point it is extremely unlikely that I will organize this race in the future. The number of people that are interested in playing by the rules seems largely dwarfed by those who want to cheat. Why someone would feel the need to cheat at a race that offers no media attention or prize money is simply beyond my comprehension. Why these people don't simply ride the route with a sag wagon on any other day of the year is also beyond me. At any rate, I think the race has run it's course.

To all of those that played by the rules: Sorry about the harsh tone of this report. If I were able to convey my complete disappointment in the integrity of those who cheated, this would be a much darker, angrier note. Considering the time, money, effort, and heart that I've invested into this event over the past 6 years, I feel little more than hollow right now.

I can't begin to express my gratitude to all of those who've come and raced and played by the rules over the years. There were many of you in the '06 KTR, and I wish there were many more. May we meet again.

Happy trails,

Mike Curiak
KTR director

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I for one am happy to have you doing this sort of stuff. While I don't have any intentions of racing the koko or gdr or whatever, I love reading about it and hearing about it.

I'd like to see the future of our sport move more towards long days - and you're a driving force, thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a great time

Mike and to all the racers great job. I have no doubts that I would have finished. However due to breaking one crank arm off and severally cracking the other I could not continue past the Dewy Bridge. However I had the water and the endurance to finish. I was very dissipointed that I could not go on. But thats the way things go. It was one of the greatest races I have ever been to. I loved the whole thing. I hope to see it carry. Even though the cheating really sucks. But we all now that cheaters never win. It was I feel still a great event. I hope that many others write in and express their thanks to Mike for making this thing happen. I hope to see it go on as well. I would love another crack at this thing. I feel very confident that I would have finished had it not been for the broken cranks. But I would like to extend a huge thanks to Mike C. for all he did.

Keep it real guys.

Thanks

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
Thanks Mike!

Mike - thanks for all the time and effort you've donated for all of us. Hopefully in time the sour taste will be replaced by something better...and we'll get to hit some trail together!

My blog report is here.

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for your efforts. This was without a doubt the best day I have had on a bike. From the euphoric climbs under the moonlight, to the wilting heat in Rabbit Valley, it all added up to an enormous day, one that I will not soon forget.

For what it is worth, I'd hate to see the race go away, but I understand where you are coming from.

-Adam

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have to ask.

What kind of dipsh*t cheats in a race that the main prize is personal gratification?

·
Registered
4 Posts
KTR, what a ride!

Mike, sorry I haven't been able to get to a computer to contact you but I must be counted among the DNF's. I made it to the Dewey bridge in a little over 10 hours feeling okay. The next 10 miles sucked out all my energy and I made a decsion to play it on the safe side and not risk any more heat exhaustion than I had already endured and rode hwy 128 back to the dewey bridge and caught a ride (and a cold PBR) back to moab. I believe that the hardest part of the course was behind me and would have loved to push on but felt it would have been irresponsible with so many unknowns. All in all it was a great day for me and a ride that I'll never forget and that's what it's all about right. As far as the cheating you speak of I didn't see any ... but I was in the back the whole time! Remember, it's about the journey, not the destination.

Joe Hardin

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Pardon my ignorance, since I'm not quite savvy to this race, but how does one cheat in a race such as this?
The rules are very simple, very basic. No outside support whatsoever. Bring what you need, nothing more.

What's cheating?

Drafting. Water/supply caches. Accepting aid from anyone on the course.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like a great time, bummer about the cheats.

There's always a few boneheads that just don't get it.:rolleyes:
Some times do look just too close to be coincidence after riding for such a long time.
I was really looking forward to doing the KTR next year. :mad:

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Only read this post if you cheated!

Are you proud that your time is listed next to others who played by the rules? How do you feel now about finishing but not really finishing? Maybe now you're wondering if you really could've done it without cheating. Well, you don't deserve a second chance, and now it looks like you won't get one next year anyway.

The rules are so simple! Actually, there is only one rule: Solo, unsupported time-trial of the Kokopelli Trail. Many needed clarification of what “solo, unsupported” meant, and Mike happily spelled it out in no uncertain terms. No outside support. No stashing anything. No shortcutting. Pack it in, pack it out. No drafting.

I just can't get my mind around why you would even choose to join this event with the intent of cheating! The race is free, there is no registration, and there are no prizes. It is uniquely an individual test to see what you are capable of, with some competition thrown in for added motivation. In short, this race is one man's labor of love, and cheating is like stabbing Mike Curiak in the back. And then to be caught doing it and attempt to deny or rationalize your actions? WTF? I mean, seriously, WTF!?!

I hiked up Rose Garden hill at daybreak with two other racers, and then I didn't see another racer until Rabbit Valley road. There was a wonderful headwind that I battled on my own for 15 miles from Cisco landing to the Westwater Road. Feel better about drafting now?

I left the Fisher Creek ditch with 300oz of water, mostly on my back. It took me 15-20 minutes to filter this amount. Feel better about stashing or accepting water now?

Six miles from the finish, I was so toast that I had to lay down beside the trail for over an hour, drinking all the electrolytes I had just to recover enough to get to the finish line. That six miles might as well have been sixty before I spent an hour on my back recovering. Feel better about cutting the course now?

Mike was magnanimous in not calling out your names and DQ'ing you. Even though I don't feel you deserve a second chance, he has essentially given you one! Do the honorable thing - stand up, fess up, and DQ yourself. Maybe Mike and the rest of the community will accept your apology. Otherwise, you will have ruined this race for everyone.

Stefan Griebel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good Job to all the Clean Competitors!

I called it a day at Cisco after sucking down 70 oz. of water in 1.5 hours and still having 20 miles to go to Westwater. Just a few miles earlier, I was feeling so good...but that went downhill fast, so I cut my losses. Kudos to all those who pushed through the pain and found it in them to finish.

I was riding up to the highway, and Patti ? gave me a ride to the Westwater exit where I took a nap under the overpass. I called my wife on the cell phone and had her drive from our hotel in Fruita to come pick me up.

It's saddening to hear about a few that bent the rules to get an edge. I feel like this year I got a feel for the trail and the scale and seriousness of the KTR. As soon as I got back to the hotel, I starting thinking: "Next year, I'll do this and that differently..."

Did anyone get chased by the dogs near the sheepherder's trailer? A white dog ran after me for a while, but then gave up in the heat.

Anyhow, here's a few photos...

1) Nice guy from Michigan at the top of Rose Garden Hill
2) Dewey Bridge, a wonderful site
3) Bob and Tim? before Cisco

Attachments

·
2,856 Posts
Everyone!!

Thanks so much for the opportunity to compete with you. I am in absolute awe at the strength and ability all of you exhibited, finishers and non-finishers alike. Just incredible.

The only bummer for me was not meeting more of you at the finish.

MC, thanks for sharing the pioneering inspiration, vision and philosophy. This truly is the kind of epic race I enjoy. Oh, and thanks for those slices of pizza at the end. I honestly didn't think I could eat anything but I wolfed those down and felt way better.

I posted my novel here w/ a few pics (subject to further editing :D )

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=140861&page=7

Until we see each other again -

Ed E

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
If you have collaborative eyewitnesses or other signigicant evidence, what about reporting suspected cheaters to other large promoters in private e-mails? Then those promoters could choose to not allow the individuals to enter their events.
A minor consequence, but a consequence nevertheless.
I hope you have this event next year- I already have it in mind.
Mike

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
FWIW I saw a real clean race full of savvy and honest competitors relishing the challenge set out. I saw some drafting in the first few minutes near the start up Sand Flats road when it was crowded but that was somewhat unavoidable for about 20 minutes until it thinned out.

My report of my wee slice of the race is here

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't see any funny business going on either. That's not to say it didn't happen...just not in my range of view. I crashed going down North Beaver Mesa...went headfirst into the sand. It probably looked a lot worse than it was. A rider stopped to ask if I was OK, but offered me no further assistance.

I saw people waiting to watch the riders go by at certain points on the course...but as far as I could tell, no support was offered.

I am still in awe at the power and endurance of most of the riders who were in this event.

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
edemtbs said:
Thanks so much for the opportunity to compete with you. I am in absolute awe at the strength and ability all of you exhibited, finishers and non-finishers alike. Just incredible.

MC, thanks for sharing the pioneering inspiration, vision and philosophy. This truly is the kind of epic race I enjoy.

The only bummer for me was not meeting more of you at the finish.

I posted my novel here w/ a few pics (subject to further editing :D )

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=140861&page=7

Until we see each other again -

Ed E
Nice write up Ed. Congrats on a good finish. Your experience on Salt Creek really mirrored mine. That hike-a-bike stuff just kicked me in the gut over and over. Eventually I had to stop and soak my head with the last bit of water I had. When I finally hit Mary's, I was blessing and cursing her all at once. FYI, the third pic in your write up is me. If I remember right, that is on Mary's.

·
Registered
445 Posts
[QUOTE=mikesee] The low point (for me) of this year's race was the widespread cheating. [/QUOTE]

Mike, first let me say thanks again for the KTR experience! Even though I did not finish (dropped out at Cisco Landing) I enjoyed this event more than any other in 20 yrs of mountain biking!! From a purely selfish point of view I hope you DO IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR. I even started re-tuning my strategy for 07 while sitting/waiting at Cisco Landing (thanks to Debby (?) from Steamboat for calling my wife to come get me). I am now totally bummed to read you may not do it next yr. For whatever it is worth I would like to relate three personal experiences on cheating.

First, because I had the chance to pre ride the course I was aware of the sharp left turn off of Sand Flats road, I knew it would be easy to miss at night as you are going down hill and you could fly right by. When I saw the turn approaching I realized the rider 10 yards in front of me was missing the turn so without thinking I instinctively yelled to him. Who knows how far he would of gone if I had not yelled, maybe 20 yrs, maybe a mile. Opps I just out of the blue gave a little outside support.

Second, I did see two riders who apparently were taking some type of support from a pickup truck at the top second climb, right where the pavement ends. Time was about 4:10am so why would anyone feel the need to cheat this far back???. I was riding up without lights and could not see exactly what they were doing but as soon as they saw the lighted rider coming up behind me the truck pulled away and the two riders walked away from their bikes as if trying to hide? I had some mixed feelings right then but decided not to waste any energy or emotion on cheaters, didn’t say a word and instead took in the awesome night view and focused on the fact that I had topped out the climb ahead of my personal turtle schedule and could look forward to some downhill time. The whole thing was soon out of my mind and I was back in focus on MY ride.

Third experience happened at Cisco Landing waiting for my wife to come pick me up. I had dropped out with mild heat exhaustion a few hours earlier and was sitting in the shade by the river when two SS riders came in (Husband & Wife) and filled there water bottles. We chatted for a few minutes as they debated pushing on or dropping out. It was quite late in the day but after a little discussion they decided to keep going, at least to Westwater, when they rode off I noticed they went the wrong way, they tried to follow the river instead of going back up to road where the KT turned off.. About 5 or 10 min later the Husband reappeared by himself, I asked what happened and he said they went the wrong way and that his wife had a flat and could not get her pump to work and of course he could not let her use his pump. So he had come back to maybe scrounge some ice water from some rafters to take back to his wife as they would now have to quit or cheat by using his pump. The rafters had left so there was no ice to be had (so no support here) and he started back up the false trail to collect the wife. About two min later they both rode back with big smiles; she had got the pump to work while he was gone, fixed her own tire and with a big smile and wave they off and going again. I felt more than a little skeptical about them finishing the entire course but they clearly had the right spirit about not taking outside support.

I realize for the riders at the top end of the pyramid it must really rub the wrong way that someone cheated to place higher on the finish time sheet. But Mike my 2 cents is that if other than for the cheaters (who just don’t get it) you would do your KTR again next yr you should do so. Just don’t let anyone who is missing the whole point of an epic unsupported race/ride spoil it for you. If on the other hand after 6 yrs of doing this you are ready to turn a page in life so be it.

Thanks Again
M Bird

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
To all those who finished, a huge congrats! I'm having a wonderful time reading each and every story. :thumbsup:

To all those who cheated, I don't know what to say. I've been looking forward to KTR 2007 since I found out I couldn't race this year and if it doesn't happen I suppose I'll just line up on my own and go it solo anyway. :sad:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts