Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so whats the deal with this bike im just getting into Mtb. and this is my first serious mtb. I need a really strong bike all the parts have to be good. Because i am a real tough rider, i ride everything like no 2maro. so iv heard alot of conflicting veiws on this bike, its a strong cross country its an all mountain, its all free ride, its a dirt jumper? what is it? i really want to get into heavy freeride. i can aford full suspention i have 800$... this bike seems good any thoughts? will it take the hit? thanks everyone, keep on riding. oh and i hear u cant get beefy tires on it cuz of clearance?!?!?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Its a pretty versatile frame, you can build it to do AM type riding, dirt jumping or light freeride. I have mine set up for light free ride and it has held up pretty good. Seems like a really strong frame. It can take any hit that I can do.

I've heard it can only fit a true 2.35 tire on the rear. I run that size on the rear and it is getting tight so I doubt you could go much bigger. I run a 2.55 on the front though.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think it can take as big of a hit as can be done on a hardtail. Obviously it depends on the rider but it is a very burly frame.

Now I'll give you my 2 cents. You said you were just getting into mountain biking, Awesome, now I've had a Mt bike for many years but I just got really into it about 3 years ago so I'll give you some advice. I too was interested in the extreme freeriding and taking the big drops and had a budget around 700$. I got a good entry level hardtail like a cannondale F5, Spec. Rockhopper etc. Doing serious drops takes a long time. I used my first bike for everything, road riding, xc riding/racing, and the free riding that I was capable of. It takes years and years to be able to start doing the serious drops. By that time you will have gone through many bikes. I have done serious riding all over the country including the big places like Snowshoe, Moab, Fruita. People I've met can't believe how quickly I've picked up MTB skills. But I still can not even dream of doing a drop that I would even have to consider thinking about the strength of the Komodo frame.

i'm guessing you are pretty young, maybe 18? I'm only 24 so I understand the attraction of the extreme freeride scene, that is what got me into the sport but now I can honestly say that I spend more time doing other types of riding. I'm only saying that because as a new rider you have a lot of things to worry about, but how big of a hit a light freeride frame can take is not one of them. You also probably won't need beefy tires for a while. You can get great freeride tires in 2.35

Mountain biking is an expensive sport. Honestly, 800$ buys you NOTHING in serious freeride bikes. Most forks for that purpose sell for over that. My advise is buy that Jamis up quickly, make sure it fits you well and preferably has an adjustable travel fork. Ride the hell out of it. Ride it on the road, on xc trails, downhill trails, freeride trails, parks, everything!!! If anything breaks replace it with a stronger part and go from there. When you see that you are doing too big of drops for the frame to handle then you have become a really good rider and are ready to drop some serious coin on a bike just for that purpose.

Remember, I am a big guy 6'2'' 195lbs and I learned to do light freeriding on my cannondale hardtail. I now have many other bikes but that bike still survives and is my commuter bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.