Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
need more advice. New Rockhopper or New Hardrock

these bikes seem to compare pretty well,,,,last couple of years models it seemed like th Hardrock Frame looked tougher...but this year the Rockhopper frame seems beefier..im i like the geometry of both, the both ride comfortably...im sure with my "stature" i will have to do some upgrading on either one as parts break..but which one of the bikes parts will last longer>>>any advice would be awesome

im 5'10" 30-31 inseam..and just over 320lbs (and losing)..im currently coming off a Schwinn upright hybrid and getting back into trail riding...so what are your thoughts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
At 5'10" and a 30-31" inseam...I would think you might want to try and test ride a medium (17") frame before buying a large (19") frame. Your kind of right on the boarderline between the two. Is there anyway you can get to a Specialized dealer just to test ride before making a purchase?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm riding a '08 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er and it seems to be holding up pretty good. The wheels kinda suck and I tore one of the tires up within a month of having it but otherwise no problems. I'm 6'1" 315ish .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I hope im not too late to give you some insight, I just bought the 2008 rockhopper disc last week and I got a 2008 hardrock for my GF. I am 5'10 and 245. The rockhopper feels ALOT better constructed then the hardrock sport that she has. Mine is also 3 lbs lighter as well. Also the dart 3 shock holds up pretty good going down the mtn for me. I am thinking about selling this bike to my brother and getting a full susp. bike when I can afford to. as I have a bad back. But I would vote for the rockhopper over the hardrock.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
The Hardrock frame is bombproof, the big weakness of any bike you're looking at is going to be the wheels, my original Hardrock wheels lasted a couple of months if that.

... though the only original parts of my Hardrock left now are the frame and fork, everything else is replaced, I still ride it though, it's my kickabout/street rig.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
mestude said:
these bikes seem to compare pretty well,,,,last couple of years models it seemed like th Hardrock Frame looked tougher...but this year the Rockhopper frame seems beefier..im i like the geometry of both, the both ride comfortably...im sure with my "stature" i will have to do some upgrading on either one as parts break..but which one of the bikes parts will last longer>>>any advice would be awesome

im 5'10" 30-31 inseam..and just over 320lbs (and losing)..im currently coming off a Schwinn upright hybrid and getting back into trail riding...so what are your thoughts
You might want to consider the Kona Hoss. The Hardrock IS a strong frame, but it will also be loaded with low level components that will break readily.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Kyoseki said:
The Hardrock frame is bombproof, the big weakness of any bike you're looking at is going to be the wheels, my original Hardrock wheels lasted a couple of months if that.

... though the only original parts of my Hardrock left now are the frame and fork, everything else is replaced, I still ride it though, it's my kickabout/street rig.
Wow ! I'm suprised the wheels lasted that long! Single wall wheels on that hardrock would have buckled in 20 minuets of me riding them!

·
Graphic Designer
224 Posts
I have an 07 rockhopper disc, I am 6 foot 299lbs. I have taken it to at least 10 different MTB parks, and ridden lots of streets and greenways as well. I don't want to jinx it, but I've had it about a year now and even though I replaced a few small things, it has been indestructible for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the '08 RH 29er Comp. It's a little heavy, but built like a tank. The only shortcomings I found on the bike really were the wheels (Totally destroyed them & had a set custom built); however upon reflecting, I do not believe that they were trued & tensioned correctly when I bought the girl. Make _sure_ they do that no matter what bike you choose...it will pay major dividends on the longevity of the wheels.
Would I reccomend the RH29Comp again? You bet! I love it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.