Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the ACA press release below. Of note is that Matt Lee will be on a Can-o-beer 29"er, and Matt Chester and Rudi Nadler will both be attempting the route on 700 x ~40's, fixed. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that David Nice will also be riding big wheels and a fixed gear.

Without further ado...

For Immediate Release
June 23, 2006
800-755-2453 x237 [email protected]

Great Divide Race Starts Today on Adventure Cycling's Great Divide Mountain Bike Route

World's Longest Mountain Bike Route Hosts World's Longest Mountain Bike Race

Missoula, Montana - At 12:00 p.m. today, June 23, in remote country high on the Montana/Canada border, the third annual Great Divide Race begins. Following the Adventure Cycling Association's Great Divide Mountain Bike Route <www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm> , racers will pedal a stupendous 2,490 miles of remote, mountainous terrain along the spine of the continent to the New Mexico/Mexico border. Making the ride even more impressive is the fact that all riders are entirely self-supported - no outside assistance or SAG support of any kind is allowed.

"People who race the GDR have no interest in a pit crew, in having pacers, in having support, or anything like that," says race organizer Mike Curiak. "They want the all-encompassing race, where not only do they have to ride, they have to make their own meals, fix their bike, navigate, all that stuff. They want the ultimate challenge."

"The race really honors the Great Divide Route and what it's all about," says Cannondale rider Matthew Lee, the winner of last year's GDR and a racer again in 2006. "It's bikepacking at its best."

John Stamstad, the now-retired Michael Jordan of endurance mountain biking, set the original Great Divide Route speed record in 1999 when he blazed it in a seemingly impossible 18 days, 5 hours (most riders take two months or more). Then, in 2004, the first year the race was held, Curiak shattered Stamstad's record with a time of 16 days, 57 minutes. Whether Curiak's amazing record - averaging 150+ miles a day on three-to-four hours sleep a night - will ever be broken remains to be seen, but more than one racer in this year's field admits to having it in their sights.

Less ambitious riders looking to experience the Great Divide Route and mountain-bike travel at a more enjoyable pace have lots of options. The simplest is to pick a scenic stretch and go ride - Adventure Cycling's detailed maps <www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm> for the route make finding your way easy. Outside magazine calls the Montana section of the Great Divide Route "A glorious 800-mile medley of fire and logging roads, jeep and singletrack trails."

For those who would rather pedal the route with an experienced guide and a group of like-minded riders, Adventure Cycling leads small groups on the Great Divide every summer. The Wyoming-based Great Divide Wind River <www.adventurecycling.org/tours/2006windriver.cfm> and Colorado-based Great Divide Alpine <www.adventurecycling.org/tours/2006greatdividealpine.cfm> are both 10-day, self-contained adventures through mind-bending scenery. Big dreamers take note: in 2007 Adventure Cycling will offer a 75-day mega-ride along the entire route, a trip National Geographic Adventure calls "One of America's 100 best adventures."

For those new to mountain biking or bike travel, Adventure Cycling offers a six-day Intro to Dirt Touring <www.adventurecycling.org/tours/2006intro_dirt.cfm> course every summer. Websurfers looking to learn more about multi-day mountain biking can visit Adventure Cycling's mountain bike page <www.adventurecycling.org/landing_mountainbike.cfm> . For a list of the best long-distance dirt rides in North America, check out our top ten list <www.adventurecycling.org/landing_mtbrides.cfm> .

To learn more about the Great Divide Race go to www.greatdividerace.com <www.greatdividerace.com> . To follow the riders in this year's race, check out the official blog here: www.greatdividerace.blogspot.com (rumor has it that several riders will race this year on fixed-gear bikes, taking the challenge to mind-boggling levels of difficulty). Last year's winner Matthew Lee has his own blog - www.tourdivide.blogspot.com <www.tourdivide.blogspot.com> - that offers photographs, a description of the route, and his audio messages from the race. MTBCast will be carrying daily podcasts with commentary and phoned-in reports from the racers themselves at www.mtbcast.com <www.mtbcast.com> .

The largest cycling organization in North America, The Adventure Cycling Association is a 501(c)(3) 42,000-member, non-profit in Missoula, Montana dedicated to inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle. For more information please visit www.adventurecycling.org <http://www.adventurecycling.org> . To learn more about the Great Divide Route or to request an Adventure Cycling press kit, contact Aaron Teasdale, Media Liaison, at 800-755-2453 x237 or [email protected].

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
As if I weren't awestruck enough by Mike's record pace of 2 years ago, and by Kent's singlespeed run last year ... now we've got guys riding this fixed?!. Wow.

Will be watching the blogs regularly, and thankful for this year's improved coverage!

·
2,856 Posts
mikesee said:
Of note is that Matt Lee will be on a Can-o-beer 29"er, and Matt Chester and Rudi Nadler will both be attempting the route on 700 x ~40's, fixed. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that David Nice will also be riding big wheels and a fixed gear.

Dave Nice is indeed riding big wheels and fixed, so there are three of those freaks out there!

Matt Lee even has the audacity to think he will ride the Crested Butte Classic on July 15th when he finishes GDR. How's that for confidence and passion. Nice warm-up Matt.

Good luck to everyone attempting this adventure!

Ed E

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Good Luck and Good Journey!

edemtbs said:
Dave Nice is indeed riding big wheels and fixed, so there are three of those freaks out there!
Confirmed. I think it's the only bike Dave Nice owns, if I'm not mistaken. It's a Karate Monkey, if my memory serves correct. He had it at Trans Iowa this spring, along with some very fine sippin' whus-kee, I might add! :D

Matt Lee even has the audacity to think he will ride the Crested Butte Classic on July 15th when he finishes GDR. How's that for confidence and passion. Nice warm-up Matt.
Yeah, I talked to Matthew an hour and a half before he set out from Banff on the "prologue". He sounded pretty relaxed.

Good luck to everyone attempting this adventure!

Ed E
Ditto! I can't wait to follow along and read the stories afterwards!

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
I just cannot imagine "my Rudi" out there right now....I'm nearly sick, like a worried parent perhaps. When Momma comes home, I'll tell her about the race start, then we can be sick together. We'll be GLUED to the blog.

Rudi will do fine in this race, in my prediction......just hoping Matt gets along as well.

Kudos to all the riders in this epic event!

·
2,856 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Confirmed. I think it's the only bike Dave Nice owns, if I'm not mistaken. It's a Karate Monkey, if my memory serves correct. He had it at Trans Iowa this spring, along with some very fine sippin' whus-kee, I might add! :D
He also has a Cross Check.

https://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4118/776/1600/IM000469.jpg

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey :D

Good luck to ya Dave!!

Ed E

·
Registered
364 Posts
edemtbs said:
He also has a Cross Check.

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey :D

Good luck to ya Dave!!

Ed E
Dave had the Cross Check for the Trans Iowa mud boggin' too. Unfortunately it spent more time on top of my car than on gravel. Last time I talked with him he mentioned doing CB 100 if he finished in time.

dp

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I hope

I hope the guys on the fixed gears can stay injury free. One out of three at the finish, is my prediction. Just the thought of it makes my knees hurt. You got to be super tough or crazy to attempt that. Probably both. Best wishes and good luck to you all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Replacement?

edemtbs said:
What in the...? This is freakin' ridiculous! I'm speechless.

Ed E
From the comments it looks like Kent Peterson is trying to hook him up so I just left him (Dave) a voice message on his cell phone. Who knows about reception though..

·
2,856 Posts
bd.sahib said:
From the comments it looks like Kent Peterson is trying to hook him up so I just left him (Dave) a voice message on his cell phone. Who knows about reception though..
I see that, thanks.

Unbelievable! Probably teenagers or something. What a rotten way to have to possibly quit. I'm seriously bummed for Dave.

It sounds like the two other experienced fixies, Rudi and Matt are feeling some pain now.

"edit" - wait until those idiots try and get on Dave's bike. I bet they go ass over tea-kettle when the pedals don't stop turning. Morons.

Ed E

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Its great news that Matt and Rudi are doing so well....keep going guys!

Its really bad news that Dave had his bike stolen...having followed his blog and seen how much he has put in to this it makes me want to get really nasty with the jerks who took his Surly. I hope something can be sorted for him so he can finish the course...if there is a paypal collection let me know.

Alex

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
What can you say??

This is the worst thing, this bike thievery!

How can you keep your chin up after such a blow? I don't know. Dave Nice is such a cool guy though, and I wish the best for him. Really, I hope that the support offered to him works out, but I would be so mentally devastated. I'm not sure I could carry on.

This after he was broken into in Denver at the place he lived in. (according to his blog) It's got to weigh heavily on the brain.

I met Dave at Trans Iowa this year and he was the kindest, most helpful soul. It just pains me to hear this news and see the consequences of it. Hopefully it'll all work out in the end. There seems to be alot of active support trying to salvage this GDR attempt for him. By the tone of his entries to the GDR blog, it would seem that he is resigned to ending it, though.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.