Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
heckler
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about building a light fs marathon bike for UK marathons and holiday use but can't decide on which fork would suit the large size frame (210lb rider), I understand the flux can handle a 90-120mm fork and have narrowed my list down to the following ones, all weigh a similar amount and have an adjustable travel feature.

- RS Relevation 426 U-Turn (new - so not many reviews yet)
- Marzocchi Marathon SL (can be an a*se to to set up)
- Fox Talas (service requirements? can it handle UK trail/weather conditions)

i've had a mixed results with my previous air forks:
Manitou Minute 2 (great after the SPV upgrade & correct spring being installed)
Magura Ronin 110 (practically rigid with recommended air pressure, ramps up far too harshly even after it has been broken in)

So if a buy another air fork I want a great one.

Any recommendations from existing Flux owners with the suggested forks? Have i missed a good coil fork that is recommended by existing owners?

cp

·
Registered
84 Posts
chunkypaul said:
I'm thinking about building a light fs marathon bike for UK marathons and holiday use but can't decide on which fork would suit the large size frame (210lb rider), I understand the flux can handle a 90-120mm fork and have narrowed my list down to the following ones, all weigh a similar amount and have an adjustable travel feature.

- RS Relevation 426 U-Turn (new - so not many reviews yet)
- Marzocchi Marathon SL (can be an a*se to to set up)
- Fox Talas (service requirements? can it handle UK trail/weather conditions)

i've had a mixed results with my previous air forks:
Manitou Minute 2 (great after the SPV upgrade & correct spring being installed)
Magura Ronin 110 (practically rigid with recommended air pressure, ramps up far too harshly even after it has been broken in)

So if a buy another air fork I want a great one.

Any recommendations from existing Flux owners with the suggested forks? Have i missed a good coil fork that is recommended by existing owners?

cp
if u want a good coil fork.. i would recommend a fox vanilla rlc in the 100mm mode.. if u want a good air fork.. try the RS reba race or the fox float rlc in the 100mm mode.. but the fox talas would also do the job plus allowing u to modify the geomatry..

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i second the talus. love mine, kinda light for a non weenie air fork, upgradeable thanx to push, plenty tough w/ great seals and as mentioned, the ability to mess with geo makin it a perfect way to race or play depending on terrain or even mood. hunt down some of my posts on my own flux for more in depth comments on this fork. ive heard very good things about the reba line but im way gun shy when it comes to rs products and their dependability/performance, though i was seriously considering a pike for a recently finished project bike. went with a marzocchi instead so that makes 5 italian forks for me now. gotta stay with stuff that works ya know and that marathon would be another fine choice id think. i almost had 6, almost.

·
heckler
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys

think the relevations are top of the list at the mo..

don't have any RockShox forks so fancy trying these (although riding buddies do have talas/marathon sl/reba's to all try out) plus the relevations are the cheapest...

just picked up my 2006 Marathon XC's today - for the HT and boy are they heavy!
(weigh around 2100g with an uncut steerer)

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
I'm curious here too, as I have a flux frame about to be built up.
I was originally leaning towards a Reba, then I read about the Revelation, but also have looked at the Fox Talus.
I want to run my fork a bit taller than 100mm, and like the idea of being able to adjust the travel for different situations. Naturally, I want the best of all worlds: light weight, performance, reliability and price. I'm having trouble getting all the facts though.
From what I can tell, weight-wise looks like:
Reba Team = 3.5#
Fox Talus = 3.75#
Revelation 426 = 4#
Not sure how the pricing works out. Heard alot of people are very happy w/ the RS forks..
Any experienced input would be appreciated.

·
heckler
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some further weight weenie info for you

2006 talas rlc 1750g (3.86 lb)
2005 reba team 1670g (3.68 lb)- with 200mm steerer
2006 relevation 1808g (3.99 lb) - won't include remote weight

sad i know

·
Registered
999 Posts
I am a big fan of the TALAS. I have one on my Flux and 5 Spot. I have also owned a few on other bikes that I previously own. I have never had a problem with a TALAS. Durable, relatively light, adjustable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.