Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying the '06 ETSX-10 (hope to upgrade components in future). I am a 220 lb Pennsylvania trail rider, so I am worried about the durability of this bike long-term. Anyone have good or bad experiences with the 2006 line yet?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
funnyclyde said:
Looking at buying the '06 ETSX-10 (hope to upgrade components in future). I am a 220 lb Pennsylvania trail rider, so I am worried about the durability of this bike long-term. Anyone have good or bad experiences with the 2006 line yet?

Thanks.
I ride a 2005 ETSX which is slightly different than the 2006. From a durability standpoint on mine, I would be very wary of purchasing one at 220lbs. I am 190 and often think I am at the upper limit of size for mine.

I have broken 3 frames in the last 3 years, one being my ETSX (replaced with no hassle). All those frames were considered "light weight" or "lighter weight". This brings me back to what a bike shop owner told me a few years ago "Big people and lightweight in the bike industry are not a good mix". If I were you I would take a look at a bike that is a little more substantial like a slayer or enduro or something along those lines.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2005 Rocky ETSX-30 and I weigh 210 lbs. It's never given me a problem and I love it. Also the Rocky warranty is one of the best in the business, so I am not worried. It was the pre-2005 models without all the extra METAL around the seat tube that were prone to failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have heard mostly great things about the ETSX, but once in a while you hear a story like the one listed above. Had me a little concerned. I won't be doing any giant hucks etc. so I think I will be alright. Picking her up tonight - cannot wait!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.