Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Official Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would give a positive review, of an admittedly slightly outdated topic.

I have owned several different fully's (Turner Flux/Burner, Anthem, Trek, Racer-X, etc.) and a slew of nice hardtails ( currently own a Dean Colonel).

I had never owned or tested an Epic, so I thought what the heck. I built up a 06 Marathon frame with straight XT and the fox float r with Brain. My only concerns were that the geometry might be a little too 'racy', and had heard the terralogic/brain was a love/hate thing.

Well, I love it. With a 100mm 10 degree stem, and riser bars, the cockpit feels relaxed enough. I run the Brain at 5 clicks from full firm, with Specialized's recommended air pressure, and don't feel the lockout sensation at all. Still pedals great. Maybe I was just lucky in finding the right shock setup on the first go 'round? I also like the fact that it 'could' be firmed up for a long haul to the trail, or a really smooth race course.

I guess I'm a little surprised that is has beat out some good competition as my favorite ride for the XC trails around here. Anyone else experience this with a transition to the Epic?

Anyway, it has turned out to be a fast, fun, comfortable bike that I think will be around for a while. Oh, and it's not light ... close to 28 lbs, mainly due to my components.

·
Rep Power Infinity +2
1,539 Posts
Well my stock 2006 Marathon has been a great ride. Stock with pedals mine comes in at 28 pounds so don't feel too bad. As i said in another post the cheapest upgrade is for the me to loose a few pounds from the beer gut.

I set the sags of the suspension with a shock pump and set the rebounds till they felt good and agree I can't notice the rear brain activating and locking out. The key as you said is the corect setup for your weight and checking the sags ever month or so.

I love it. she is fast and clibs really well. For me changing from the flat 23" bar to a a slightly wider riser bar made teh bike more relaxed and not so twitchy. So all in all a great bike that never fails to dissapoint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, I actually have a 2006 Epic Comp... not all top of the line components, but it's still about as pimped out a bike as I need. I actually did change a few things, i.e. I have a 2008 AFR on it now (freebie from Specialized & I love it) I put some Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on(127 tpi), I am still using my Selle Italia Gel Titanium saddle which I bought in 1997 with a Thomson post, oury lock-ons. I am getting ready to put a 185 mm rotor on the front brake, and that should be it for a while. This winter, I plan to get rid of the $hitty SRAM cogs and get either xt or XTR cogs and chain. I hate that SRAM stuff... sorry if you love it. That should also shave nearly 1/2 pound from the weight. I am not too concerned about weight though... i just ride for soul now. no more racing. In fact, I have no idea how much it weighs... probably 27-28 lbs.???

·
Official Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I just ride for soul these days too. It's kinda of funny how good this bike is when it's not set up in 'race' mode. My key changes were shorter, 10 degree upright stem, wide 685 monkeybar, and the shock set up more on the 'soft' side. It still pedals great, and on my last ride, I didn't feel the lock-out engage the entire ride. I'm tempted to try an adjustable Reba, too see how the bike likes the 110mm setting.

·
Official Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oldskoolm4 said:
I love my '06 Marathon. XTR/Hope/Race Face/Thomson parts. Just wish it had bigger wheels.
nice. check out the 650b epics (bepics) on the alternate wheel forums.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
i had the same feelings with the old style epic .then i bought the 09.man,you think the 06 is great,treat yourself to an 09 ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts