Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well to start off, I found an ebay deal for an 06 boxxer ride with short crown. It was only $500. So here I am, one full day of hard riding on my new fork. Breakin time = about 20 mintues of extreme arm pumping.

The fork came without a rockshox box. This leads me to suspect the seller of the fork ordered these through some type of OEM scam. Still came with everything, minus the box. Seeing as how he's selling it for $300 less than retail... draw your own conclusion. :rolleyes:

Seller was bolloxbikes or something to that tone. Shipped quick.

Alright. Previous fork was a RS Pike coil. I've been riding the Pike for over a year so I know how it feels.

In terms of damping, the Boxxer ride is MUCHO improved over the Pike damping. It's hard to explain, it just feels more precise and refined. The compression knob now has indents with the same 90degree turn range. Each indent past the third one makes a very noticeable difference. The floodgate (high speed adjust) on the boxxer feels like it engages quicker.

The rebound feels identical to the Pike, same range, same sounds.

The added travel is where the boxxer ride really shines. My bike now feels like its in a happy spot at 178mm. Really doesn;t feel like too much travel, just right. I was able to drop the travel VERY easily while riding the bike, which would be nice for impending climbs. The travel adjuster is way up near the handle bars, so taking your left hand off isn't hard to change the travel.

Same with the compression controls. Right there. No bending down.

At first I was dissapointed in the elastomers combined inside of the coil spring, but now I'm quite impressed with how they work. They are really there for bottom out control and do a good job. Even when coming off a 4 footer to flat, nose heavy, there was still 1.5 inches of travel not used. No worries of bottoming this sucker. This is a bonus because it allows for a softer intial coil spring rate for good small bump compliance, while still ramping up on hard hits. I can't imagine a fork can get much more supple than this, its really a benchmark for smoothness.

Here;s an added and unsuspected benefit of the elastomers. Both are located in the coil near the bottom. In case of failure of the U-turn mechanism, the push rod will only move an inch or two before hitting the elastomer. Your fork will not ride at full height, but at least it won;t collapse all the way down and kill you!!! To death!!! ;)

Weight has not been an issue for me. In fact I've found the front wheel easier to lift due to the handle bars being higher. I can pop wheelies much easier now. Counter intuitive, but it really feels like I lost weight when riding the bike. This must be why racers love boxxers, you can just toss them all over the place no problem, very light and manueverable.

All worries of the limited steering have been removed. Never once touched the stoppers. Even on twisty single track.

The maxle for the boxxer ride is considerably thicker than the Pike's. It also has a different twisting mechanism which allows for the scewer handle to be placed at any angle regardless of where it stops when twisting into the fork. Cool!

The color is better than the pictures. Overall a very well made fork, that I can't find a single fault with. Other guy mentioned clanky springs. Must be his fork, cause mine is silent except for the cool squirting noises from the damper. Other guy said his fork felt like it was moving in corners, well, it may have been. My headset wasn;t tight enough and I could detect the fork wobbling around in corners, almost like the front wheel was bending. I tightened the headset some more, and problem was gone, all stiff now. Other guy may want to check his headset.

At this point, I will easily say the 06 boxxer rivals any other high end fork product. Just an incredible smooth, supple, controlled, well sprung fork. Matches the rear DHX 5 flawlessly.

That's it for now, will post again after some more ride time. Unlike a Marzocchi, I can assume my review will stay unchanged due to the short breakin period. Zokes take a month and an oil change before in top shape.

edit: ohhhh almost forgot. Pike owners? Hate not getting the right amount of sag? The boxxer springs somehow allow for more sag percentages than the Pike coil. My Pike coil was running 15%. My boxxer ride is a steady 25% while still being resistant to bottom out. In order to get 25% in the pike, I would need a dangerously soft spring.

·
Living the Dream
1,783 Posts
You're tempting me

I have an AM1 on my 5spot (soon to be 5 Pack), and a Reba on my Titus SingleSpeed. So far, I love the Reba a lot more than the AM1. I really want a taller fork than the pike, so I am tempted by the Ride. How much does the Boxxer Ride weight? I am thinking about holding out for the new 7" RS single crown freeride fork next year. I think it has like 40mm stanchions. Thanks for the good review.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't wait to ride some real trails this weekend.

So far it has been limited to riding around my house on the trails I've built. It kind of sucks running in and out of the house to get riding in between rain showers. Thems been soakers todays!

Going out for a night ride here soon...

New parts never let me sleep. :p

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tscheezy said:
Have you posted any pics? What size is your Pack, and what headset are you running? Direct mount stem?
large pack
mystery headset, no name, works. pretty thin stack. people with thicker headsets may need tall crown
top crown is RIGHT at the top of stanchions couldn't be any closer. I'm getting max stiffness out of the dual crown.
no integrated stem, don't need one.
using 60mm stem 10deg flipped upside down

I don't use a star fangled steer tube nut or top cap, in order to save some weight up front. I carry a thin wire homemade device for tightening the headset, then I remove it. Stays in my camel back. DH stem and top crown make sure it stays put.

I would think that someone with a slightly taller head set would have problems and need a tall crown.

tall crowns are going for $20 at jensonusa.com ,so if the short doesn't fit, you're not out $120 for a different crown. It's for the 2003 models, so I would think theres a good chance it fits.

No pictures. My bike is Omish. Camera shy, if you know what I mean... :p

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I'm all over the place, trying to decide on a fork for the soon to be received RFX.

Marz 66 Light ETA, Marz 66 SL, Marz Z1 Light ETA, Fox Van 36, or Travis 150 and wait for the new RS 40 single crown.

Thanks to your review on the Boxxer, the list is now one fork longer!

(but I enjoy the agonizing -- my wife would call it "shopping" -- perish the thought!)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wow...it sounds like the new Motion Control Boxxer Ride is a lot better than last years Boxxer Ride. Last years was on of the worst forks I've ever ridden. We had to give away all 4 bikes that came with that fork.

From the sounds of things SRAM is starting to turn RockShox around. With the Pike and the new Boxxers is seems that have some good forks finally.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow...it sounds like the new Motion Control Boxxer Ride is a lot better than last years Boxxer Ride. Last years was on of the worst forks I've ever ridden. We had to give away all 4 bikes that came with that fork.

From the sounds of things SRAM is starting to turn RockShox around. With the Pike and the new Boxxers is seems that have some good forks finally.
The fork really is very nice. External adjustments that work very well. Fairly smooth
ride, impressive progression. Excellent big hig capacity and ability. The elastomers
harden in cold weather and can sound pretty thocky as they hit each other but I only notice the noise on casual rides. When getting down to business you never hear it.
I love the compression dials right
below stem height, use it all the tiime and it works.
According to SRAM they cleared out
some of the old RS engineers and brought in some new ones.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

After re-reading my post I can tell that I've been working 60 hr weeks, through the holidays, seting up our new computer system and automated web site. Sorry for the grammar and spelling errors, but the message is still the same.

Oh, and it looks like I need to update my bike list. The Chamuco is gone (about a year ago) and I now have a 6 Pack TNT and an Iron Horse 7 Point.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
tscheezy said:
Does the lower crown on the 06 Ride have pinch bolts for the stanchions? In other words, can you slide the stanchions in the lower crown? I know you could on the 05.
It does have the pinch bolts on the lower crown.

& yes, like the other reviews above, love mine as well, SRAM did a very good job on the 06 forks!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2006 boxxer feels like a completely new fork compared to the 05 models. I've never ridden an 05 on the trail, but the ones I tried out at supergo on the 7point5 felt like trash. Sloppy rebound damping that gurggles and sounds like a broken dish washer. Great chasis, but terrible damping.

I'm interested to get the full scoop on whether or not the motion control unit can be retro fitted into the 2005 models.

btw, If anyone can find a way to get the boxxer damper into a Pike IT WOULD BE WORTH IT BIG TIME!!!!!! I doubt it though, the compression rod would bump into it. BUT if the damper could be cut down shorter, it would fit right into there.

Honestly. Out of all the rockshox, manitou, and marzocchi forks I've ridden (a lot of my buddys' forks.) the damping on the 2006 boxxers just blows them away, no contest.

SO. question for you tech geeks.

Is shimmed rebound really needed or an improvement.?

I see ALL of these guys taking 1st2ndand3rd in DH races riding 2006 boxxers. If anyone demands top notch rebound damping, it's these guys. Seeing as how ALL of the 06 boxxers have a ported rebound what does that say about the"need" for shimmed? I think the rebound counts more if it is made smooth and consistant, which the boxxer is.

DH riders doing 50+mph demand WAY MORE from their damping than any of us mortals. If ported is good enough to take first place constantly, then it's good enough for me right?

One thing I've noticed about shimmed rebounds is that in order to get good high speed rebound control you must turn the damping pretty high up. As a consequence, I've found these to be more difficult to pull the fork up off drops. The lack of low speed damping in a ported damper allows for the for to pop up a bit without damping the upstroke right away. Just about every shimmed rebound fork I've seen feels like it drags at too low of a speed and makes pulling up the front more difficult. In order to get it to pop up, the rebound must be set too fast to feel ideal for drops.

I know you can make the shim stack stiffer on some forks like TPC, but this really just makes the rebound into a more of a ported damper than a shimmed damper with a wide frequency range.

I just find it strange that shimmed rebound is such a holy grail thing, yet demanding DH riders are running faster times down tracks with ported boxxers than most other shimmed forks.

hmmmmm

Even if it is snake oil, I'm still first in line for a shimmed PUSH upgrade. OK I admit it. All I really wanted was the cool PUSH sticker! ;)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohh one more thing.

I managed to get the Avid bb7 caliper to mount up to an 8inch rotor by just using the 185mm IS mount adaptor from before. Requires a little shimming to line it up, but works fine. It's at the proper angle and height, just needs some spacers to get the caliper more inboard towards the hub.

I'm still going to order a proper adaptor (dumbass at bikeshop ordered the hayes, not avid, will not fit), but this does the job for now.

Sorry, no pics. If I had a camera I would. Nothing special to look at. Really not as cool looking as those 66SLs this tuner forum has bought the complete stock of!!!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,502 Posts
SpawningGround said:
Even if it is snake oil, I'm still first in line for a shimmed PUSH upgrade. OK I admit it. All I really wanted was the cool PUSH sticker! ;)
I think you may be a little lost here. Even though there are some forks and shocks that have shimmed rebound stacks, primarily shims are used on compression pistons, and most rebound circuts are just ported bleeds. If someone is talking about how fox, marzocchi, and manitou TPC are "shimmed" dampers, they are talking about the compression chareteristics of the fork, not the rebound.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jayem said:
I think you may be a little lost here. Even though there are some forks and shocks that have shimmed rebound stacks, primarily shims are used on compression pistons, and most rebound circuts are just ported bleeds. If someone is talking about how fox, marzocchi, and manitou TPC are "shimmed" dampers, they are talking about the compression chareteristics of the fork, not the rebound.
but all fox, HSCV, and TPC systems use shimmed rebound.

Hell, even the boxxer ride has an adjustable shim stack for compression. So what are you trying to say?

Seems to me like every other high end damper uses shimmed rebound, so that would be more than just "some forks."

Hell even the PUSH mod aparently adds shimmed rebound.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,502 Posts
SpawningGround said:
but all fox, HSCV, and TPC systems use shimmed rebound.

Hell, even the boxxer ride has an adjustable shim stack for compression. So what are you trying to say?

Seems to me like every other high end damper uses shimmed rebound, so that would be more than just "some forks."

Hell even the PUSH mod aparently adds shimmed rebound.
No, they don't. HSCV doesnt, and you may be mistaken on which piston is which in the TPC.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Jayem said:
No, they don't. HSCV doesnt, and you may be mistaken on which piston is which in the TPC.
My old '99 TPC SX Carbon had a piston and shims on top controlling compression (with adjustable bleed), and a separate piston with shims (and of course, an adjustable bleed), at the bottom of the leg. I played with shim setups on both compression and rebound pistons. Not sure if the present day TPC uses this same arrangement.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,502 Posts
bikerx40 said:
My old '99 TPC SX Carbon had a piston and shims on top controlling compression (with adjustable bleed), and a separate piston with shims (and of course, an adjustable bleed), at the bottom of the leg. I played with shim setups on both compression and rebound pistons. Not sure if the present day TPC uses this same arrangement.
I have a whole box full of TPC innards at the shop. I also owned the SX and Xvert.

Most of the time, a check valve is used for the rebound, with a bleed control.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts