Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
crisillo said:
I guess only the rotor might have changed to the cleansweep G2..... this is not significant... get the 06 and save some money if you are looking for a set..
correct -- the rotor style is the changeover; new rotors are SUPPOSED to run a little cooler and cleaner. unless you're riding DH, i think that's trifling. save some cash, get the older ones -- older rotors are sweeter to look at when you're healing & can't ride!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Agreed..get the '06

Austensibly the same brakes with a different rotor. Both will have excellent performance. Save the $20 and get the '06.

Bob

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
I have one of each on my bike. An 06 up front, and 05 in the back. Personally I like the 05's rotor better, it took less time to break in, and occationally the 06 rotor still squeels. I took extra time to set them up properly, so they would bed in correctly and hopefully squeaal less. I have an extra 05 rotor that I'm going to put up front on the 06. So ya deffinitly safe $20 bucks and get the 05s.
Bunk

I just realized he was asking about 06, 07, and not the 05, 06. Don't I feel sheepish, ba ba ba :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
No MSG said:
I noticed that the 2007 BB7s are about $20 pricier than the 2006 model. Is there any signficant difference? The Avid website provided no info.
I'm in the market for a pair of BB7's myself. I'm still confused about the difference between the BB7 2006 and 2007 models. The main reasone for the confusion is that all the ad pics for the '06 and '07 look exactly the same showing the same rotor.

If I'm ready this thread correctly the only difference between the two are this: '06 rotor is the old cleansweep; and the '07 rotor is the new Roundagon? All other parts are the same? Seems like the '06's are a better deal.

Thanks, Tor

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts

it seems that the retailers are showing the same pic for 2007s. Let's face it, no matter what rotor avid sends you, the BB7 is a great brake

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I love my 06 BB7's... Price point all the way to my door. Simple setup and great power.

My front brake made some noise but after sanding the disk in a cross hatching pattern and cleaning the outside edge a little it's silent as can be.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Tor Nup said:
I'm in the market for a pair of BB7's myself. I'm still confused about the difference between the BB7 2006 and 2007 models. The main reasone for the confusion is that all the ad pics for the '06 and '07 look exactly the same showing the same rotor.

If I'm ready this thread correctly the only difference between the two are this: '06 rotor is the old cleansweep; and the '07 rotor is the new Roundagon? All other parts are the same? Seems like the '06's are a better deal.

Thanks, Tor
Actually the 06 have the roundagon and the new 07 have the new Cleansweep 2.... but no worries..the bb7 doesn't have squealing problems like the juicy.. so rotor choice is not an issue

·
over researcher
1,158 Posts
According to Sram, the 2007 BB series brakes use the Roundagon rotor (LINK).

It is the hydraulic brakes that use the Cleansweep G2 rotor (LINK).

OK, so what's the real difference between the 2006 and 2007 brakes?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm not sure much of anything has changed since Avid came out with the original BB7 design in 2002 (I think that was the first year?). They were called "Mountain Ball Bearing Disc Brakes (BBDB)" then. I still have a set I use on my SS 29er, and they perform just as well as the 06 BB7s I have on my squishie.

I'm certainly no expert, but I've looked at both sets when I had the bikes in pieces over the winter and, outside of the identifying sticker, I couldn't tell them apart at all.

Rotors are just personal preference. My older BBDBs came with CleanSweep G1s, and I bought the G2s for my 06 BB7s. Interesting thing with that is the cut-out angle is reversed between the G1 and G2. Crazy stuff!

Cheers, Chris

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Actually, it was 2000, if not 1999.

And you're basically correct. Avid used the original "type F" caliper from introduction until about 2002/03. They then introduced the "type N".

Identifying difference was the plastic Avid oval logo on the cable stop, versus the red and white rectangular decal on the newer model.

The newer "type N" did away with the pad retraction magnets, and narrowed the profile a touch in a switch from 165mm standard to a 160mm standard. The innards, as best I can tell, are relatively unchanged.

I've got 6 Avid calipers in the house, and only one is the newer version. The oldies, including the original I bought in 2000, are still performing just fine.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Actually, it was 2000, if not 1999.

And you're basically correct. Avid used the original "type F" caliper from introduction until about 2002/03. They then introduced the "type N".

Identifying difference was the plastic Avid oval logo on the cable stop, versus the red and white rectangular decal on the newer model.

The newer "type N" did away with the pad retraction magnets, and narrowed the profile a touch in a switch from 165mm standard to a 160mm standard. The innards, as best I can tell, are relatively unchanged.

I've got 6 Avid calipers in the house, and only one is the newer version. The oldies, including the original I bought in 2000, are still performing just fine.
Bring back the magnets!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.