Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 2006 ETSX has up to 5" of travel, while the 2005 only has up to 4.5", but are there any other real differences? can you really notice the extra half inch? if I can get a really good 2005, am I going to be missing out on much?

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,546 Posts
wilcox510 said:
I know the 2006 ETSX has up to 5" of travel, while the 2005 only has up to 4.5", but are there any other real differences? can you really notice the extra half inch? if I can get a really good 2005, am I going to be missing out on much?
As I understand it moving to the 5" of rear travel was also supposed to provide smoother shock operation (as well as less stress on the rear suspension pivots) due to the new lower activation ratio rear shock. They also made the rear stays out of square tube stock rather than round to improve stiffness and also went to a larger down tube to also improve lateral stiffness.

So what did they do for 2007 you might ask? Enquiring minds are still trying to find out...

Karl

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love my 2005 ETSX, I guess the earlier ones will all break at the seat tube, but I haven't heard of any problems with the 2005 or later models, I'd say go for it, if you can get a deal!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wiggle

As I have mentioned in the previous thread, I have noticed the lateral wiggle in the rear specially on turns as you would hit roots, rocks etc. It is a minor wiggle but my concern is it involves dynamic parts. The design of the frame I'm sure is not for the lateral wiggling so durability may be the issue.
But the bike is fast and I feel like riding a wild mustang at times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had an 06 ETSX now for three months, which replaced (under warrantee) my much loved, and lots ridden 2003 ETSX.

The 06 is definitely stiffer laterally - noitcable under power out of corners, and at other times, jamming hard left to right etc. Also as previous poster stated, it is smoother over small stuff (due to lever ratio change I guess) and also when the downs get real lumpy too.

In my eyes, a real noticable improvement all around. Also feels a little lighter too, although this does accentuate the tail-bias balance though, but not an issue. (I swapped the bits from my 03 frame, so I think its a valid comparison).

RP3 shock useful too - if you like to run the rear nice and soft for larking about in a light freeride way it gives any easy switch too real good non-bob climber, although as you'll know, ETSX is real good pedaller/climber anyway with normal pressures being run.

The only slight negative I can think of (again not a real issue) is that on mine the laquer seems a little soft, and think it will go matte quite quickly. I noticed this on a new SLayer demo bike too -wonder if its due to the translucent paint on 06 frames.

Anyhow -ETSX are great - even of the early ones do fail -and RM certainly seem to back em up well. My replacement frame got from Vancouver to Sussex, UK in 4 days, door to door.

Just my (more than?) tuppence worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts