Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
That seems like a cool bike. I have a question though, it's msrp is about $800, but it seems high when you compare it to a bike like the cinder cone which comes with deore/deore lx d/r's, marz susp. fork, hayes hyd. brakes, and deore shifters all for $850. The frame material can't drive the raw mat'l cost up too much more even though you are most likely buying alot less cro-mo vs. aluminum, I would assume the design that goes into each frame is equivalent (not including f.s.), I would assume the welding process is the same, and the bottom bracket isn't eccentric. So you have a cro-mo frame w/ disc tabs and a nice tensioning design, no outstanding componentry, no crazy suspension, no crazy brakes, no shifters or d/r's, but a nice rigid ss'er.

What drives your msrp? Is it supply/demand and since SS is becoming popular you can ask such a price or is the frame designed and built differently than the other bikes? Are you building a limited quantity?

This isn't a dig at you or Kona because I like my Bear Dee-lux and from what I've seen this is basically on par with all other mass manufacturers, just wondering.

Jason

·
pepito
640 Posts
differences between 2004 and 2005:

1) frame material in 2005 will be dedacciai steel instead of true temper.
2) as you mentioned, color.
3) nokian tires instead of tioga.
4) saddle - wtb this year.
5) and most notably; handlebar, stem and seatpost from koski to truvativ for 2005.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
diiulio said:
That seems like a cool bike. I have a question though, it's msrp is about $800, but it seems high when you compare it to a bike like the cinder cone which comes with deore/deore lx d/r's, marz susp. fork, hayes hyd. brakes, and deore shifters all for $850. The frame material can't drive the raw mat'l cost up too much more even though you are most likely buying alot less cro-mo vs. aluminum, I would assume the design that goes into each frame is equivalent (not including f.s.), I would assume the welding process is the same, and the bottom bracket isn't eccentric. So you have a cro-mo frame w/ disc tabs and a nice tensioning design, no outstanding componentry, no crazy suspension, no crazy brakes, no shifters or d/r's, but a nice rigid ss'er.

What drives your msrp? Is it supply/demand and since SS is becoming popular you can ask such a price or is the frame designed and built differently than the other bikes? Are you building a limited quantity?

This isn't a dig at you or Kona because I like my Bear Dee-lux and from what I've seen this is basically on par with all other mass manufacturers, just wondering.

Jason
Jason,
The frame really does drive up the cost quite a bit. We've run our Unit at the price for a while now, and it's always been a fair price, though i can see where you think it maybe isn't. Steel is a lot more expensive these days, especially good steel. The reaon is exactly why you guessed -- quantity. With less people making steel, and us making less steel, we have to pay more for it. We've also tried to stay at the top of the game for what tubing we use. When everyone was using straight gauge 853, a tubing more designed for road bikes than anything, we went with TrueTemper OX Platinum. Now we've switched that over to Dedacciai, which really does have some cool ride qualities, and can be shaped more easily, affecting both strength, and again, ride quality.
I know it still seems to be a bit of a discrepancy, but i hoped this helped. We are not falsly inflating any prices, i can assure you.
Thanks for asking, and no, i didn't think it was a dig at Kona, just a good question.
Joe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Another one for you Joe

500usd diff. on the Stinky Supreme and the Stab Supreme ?
Component spec is identical xcept for tires and pedals !
Wasnt the Stab S. to have a 170mm fork ?
And how do you get 8-9" travel on the Stab Supreme ?
What is the diff. between the stab and Stinky Supreme ?
Txs Cheers

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
caspar said:
500usd diff. on the Stinky Supreme and the Stab Supreme ?
Component spec is identical xcept for tires and pedals !
Wasnt the Stab S. to have a 170mm fork ?
And how do you get 8-9" travel on the Stab Supreme ?
What is the diff. between the stab and Stinky Supreme ?
Txs Cheers
We're still finishing up the product spec and pricing on those two models. It appears that there's a misprint on our webpage, the Stab Supreme is not adjustable from 8" to 9". I'll have that fixed.
To the best of our knowledge, the Stab Supreme is going to 200mm up front this year.
Joe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.