Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading from my 2004 Vanilla125R to a 2005 Talas 130RLC. The main reason for this is to be able to wind down the fork for the very steep climbs.

However, I've heard some criticisms of the Talas in regards to brake dive, compression spikes (ok, I have no idea what those are) and a lack of plushness. These comments were made about older models however.

Is anyone using the 2005 Talas and what's their experience of these issues?

FWIW I'm riding a medium 2004 5 Spot and do mostly aggressive xc/trail riding on steep up and down woodsy trails with few drops.

Cheers,

Duncan

·
Bodhisattva
10,845 Posts
I have/had both the '03 & '03 TALAS.

In terms of brake dive and feeling "too linear" there really is no comparison between the two.
Both are plush, but the '03 felt almost too plush and tended to blow through its travel too quickly. It also suffered from brake dive and mid-stroke wallow, meaning that once the fork was halfway through travel it tended to stay there & not rebound to extension appropriately.
Also, compression damping on the pre-'05 Fox forx was essentially non-existent.

The '05 is dramatically improved in all of the above areas. It rides much higher in its travel and brake dive & wallow are minimized.

I saw DT's comments over on the Turner board but I respectively disagree when talking about the '05. Plus, I love the travel adjust and can quite easily reach down with one hand and adjust travel on the fly.

The ultimate is to have an '05 TALAS PUSH'd which will add some coin to the tab. Square edge hit performance & damping range much improved plus you get the adjustable platform feature.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
What about getting the vanilla PUSHED?

On your R theyll add as they did on my Talas RL a lever on the top of the right leg which allows you to adjust the platform. With the platform on full your locked out for the most part and can climb outta the saddle. The fork will also ride higher in its travel then before.

When i first got my spot, using a OE talas that when i reduced the fork lenght the fork/front end squated and as a result the bike didnt roll as well as it did with the fork fully extended. It felt like i was pedalling into something.

A 05 Talas is a very nice fork and a worthy investment. However i dont know how much the new damper reduces fork dive or wallow. My vote is for PUSHING the vanilla.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Duncan said:
I'm considering upgrading from my 2004 Vanilla125R to a 2005 Talas 130RLC. The main reason for this is to be able to wind down the fork for the very steep climbs.

However, I've heard some criticisms of the Talas in regards to brake dive, compression spikes (ok, I have no idea what those are) and a lack of plushness. These comments were made about older models however.

Is anyone using the 2005 Talas and what's their experience of these issues?

FWIW I'm riding a medium 2004 5 Spot and do mostly aggressive xc/trail riding on steep up and down woodsy trails with few drops.

Cheers,

Duncan
I ride an 05 TALAS and with the compression that actually works, I've been able to tune out most of the brake dive. There is some still evident, but no worse than any other fork I've ever had, and much better than some.

I've got my TALAS setup pretty plush, and I've really been very pleased with the fork thus far. The travel adjustment isn't something that is easily done as you're riding twisty singletrack, but here in CO the trails are usually extended climb followed by exteneded dowhnill. I set the travel at 90mm and climb, then dial it out to 121mm for the DH stuff. The lower front end really seems to help me on the extended climbs, although it might just be mental.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jrm said:
On your R theyll add as they did on my Talas RL a lever on the top of the right leg which allows you to adjust the platform. With the platform on full your locked out for the most part and can climb outta the saddle. The fork will also ride higher in its travel then before.

When i first got my spot, using a OE talas that when i reduced the fork lenght the fork/front end squated and as a result the bike didnt roll as well as it did with the fork fully extended. It felt like i was pedalling into something.

A 05 Talas is a very nice fork and a worthy investment. However i dont know how much the new damper reduces fork dive or wallow. My vote is for PUSHING the vanilla.
Thanks for the suggestion. One problem is I'm in South Korea and sending the fork to the US for pushing will probably cost a bit in terms of both time and money. Also, the travel adjustment option with the Talas is the main attraction for me. I can actually envisage times when I'll might keep it wound down even on some smooth downhills, as I've read that will change the head tube angle. That may make the bike more responsive for tight tree weaving on fairly smooth singletrack, which there is a lot of in Korea.

Push may get my new fork in a year or so, when it sounds like I'll have to spend $150 to get it serviced anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.