Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rode one yesterday @ my LBS... I'm thinking of getting it. The frame is great!

Any input on this? Does anyone have the official specs?

Also, the LBS only had it in Silver w/ black detail... not my favorite.

Anywa, I'm kindof a newbie... I rode ALOT for about 1.5 years but last year my 2001 Trek4700 got stolen. I've been looking for awhile for a new bike and I'm thinking of going w/ the 2005 Rockhopper.

Lemme know if anyone else has any experience w/ this new bike.

- Chris

· Registered
95 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I was not aware that the Specialized 2005's were available as of yet.
Could it be possible that you are looking at a 2004 Rockhopper in "Dream", (silver finish with black outline lettering). Just curious, but you can verify it at the Specialized web site, www.specialized.com ,as well as obtaining bike specific specifications.

Anyway,...

I ride a 2004 Rockhopper Comp, and I think it is a fantastic bike, its everything I wanted in a mountain bike. (for additional info, see my Rockhopper Comp review on MTBR, I ride Stanky Creek)

Hope this helps,....good luck with your decision

Ol' DirtDawg

· Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
cdloental78 said:
I just rode one yesterday @ my LBS... I'm thinking of getting it. The frame is great!

Anywa, I'm kindof a newbie... I rode ALOT for about 1.5 years but last year my 2001 Trek4700 got stolen. I've been looking for awhile for a new bike and I'm thinking of going w/ the 2005 Rockhopper.

- Chris
Yea a shop where i live has the new 05 lower end bikes. It has awesome tube formations and would def. suggets it to anyone.

-TS

· Registered
272 Posts
Yep 05 Rockhopper's are starting to come through and were in the early release specialized catalog. Not a huge difference but a little more aluminum up at the head tube junction. Different colors, other than that, it didn't look too different.

· Registered
6 Posts
I just bought an '05 Rockhopper

I went to my LBS to buy an '04 model, and he told me he could get me an '05 in about 3 days, so I bought an '05. From what I can tell is that the frame is slightly different than the '04, and there is a shock upgrade too. I'm getting the silver one, which I'm not exactly crazy about, but the only other choice was bright yellow. But I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb. :) I can't wait to get this bike! :D

--Steven

cdloental78 said:

- Chris

· Registered
1 Posts
Got one

I just got my '05 Rockhopper yesterday... The first kid on the block to have one! I don't have much riding experience at all, but I LOVE it. I was down between that, the Gary Fisher Wahoo, and a TREK 4500, but the Rockhopper was definately the way to go. But yup, they are out there!

· Registered
3 Posts
I just picked one up on friday. I am really new to the sport (2 days and counting). I wanted a good solid bike to start out with. I ordered an '04 and was suprised to see an '05 show up. I noticed, though, that the cables for the derailluers under the frame were cris-crossed. Should I be worried about this? Should I have the bike shop run them parallel?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got my 2005 rockhopper on thusday

I have the same one as in the picture above. I have taken in on three rides this weekend and I love it.

My only problem is that the Manitou Axel fork has a CRAPPY CRAPPY CRAPPY paint job. After three fairly innocent rides, the black paint is already chipping all over the place. Seriously you could probably rip all the paint off with your fingernails.

But, I dont care much about paint chips on the fork... everything else is great and I love the frame geometry.

-c

· Registered
272 Posts
Shevk said:
I just picked one up on friday. I am really new to the sport (2 days and counting). I wanted a good solid bike to start out with. I ordered an '04 and was suprised to see an '05 show up. I noticed, though, that the cables for the derailluers under the frame were cris-crossed. Should I be worried about this? Should I have the bike shop run them parallel?
Congratulations on the awesome bike! No you should not be worried about this. It is purposely done like that (it gets done by the people that build the bike, not by the bike shop) because it is supposed to allow a straighter pull to the derailiur. Does it make a difference? I dont know, but it is not a problem, and I would suggest you just leave it as is.

Enjoy the bike!

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey, my '05 Rockhopper's different!

Shevk said:
Here is a picture (i think...)
I just picked up my 2005 Rockhopper today (silver), and the frame is slightly different than yours. My top tube and down tube are welded together where they meet the head tube (I think I got those right), similar to a Stumpjumper, only more so. I suspect you must have a large frame. Mine is 17 inches. So maybe that explains it.

I am a newbie but wanted a solid, dependable bike, and I am very happy with the Rockhopper. I will try to post a picture of it soon.

--StevenN

· Registered
3 Posts
cameraz said:
I just picked up my 2005 Rockhopper today (silver), and the frame is slightly different than yours. My top tube and down tube are welded together where they meet the head tube (I think I got those right), similar to a Stumpjumper, only more so. I suspect you must have a large frame. Mine is 17 inches. So maybe that explains it.

I am a newbie but wanted a solid, dependable bike, and I am very happy with the Rockhopper. I will try to post a picture of it soon.

--StevenN
Yep, the bike in the picture is a 21". I have also been really happy with mine.

· Registered
6 Posts
Here's mine!

Just got finished cleaning her off after my latest ride, so I thought I'd post a picture. BTW, this bike has many upgrades over the "04, including frame (sweet); rims, and front shock -- Manitou Axel Comp (coil, fluid damped). I have not had any problem with paint peeling from this shock as a previous poster did, despite going on a particularly teeth-jarring ride with some hard-core MB'ers from the bike shop. The spokes are also silver stainless steel, not black like the '04.

This is my second mountain bike, the first being a Bridgestone MB-4, which was one well-built bike. But it was time to sell old faithful and move on to some more modern technology. My new Rockhopper, btw, has a 17-inch frame. I'm only 5'-8" and it fits me perfectly. :D

cameraz said:

--StevenN

Attachments

· Registered
95 Posts
Congrats to cameraz, UTHorns8, Shevk, and cdloental78, on your acquiring the new 2005 Rockhopper.

"Dayum, dem be sum fine lookin' bikes fer sure,..!!"

(looking forward to seeing the 2005 Rockhopper Comp)

You guys have fun.

Live long,...ride hard

Ol' Dirt Dawg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.