Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally sold my 13 yr old Stumpy hardtail and now I am searching for a FS or HT - probably another Stumpjumper.

Went to the bike store today and was comparing Stump FSRs from 2005 and 2006. The 06 has a 120mm fork and XTR and is $2000. The '05 is originally $2199 and it is marked down to $1800. Thre are two differences - 2005 fork is the Fox 100mm vs 120 and it has XT hydraulic brakes vs. Avid Juicy 5s.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts between these two...... I "rented" or demoed one for tomorrow :D to see if FS is really what I want.

G

·
my wife loves her 05 Expert Stumpy FSR. very nice bike. a few major surprises for me with our new bikes were the quality of the Avid Juicy 7's (lots of bad press but i have ridden other hydro brakes an prefer mine over all the ones i have checked out) and the quality of the LX level shifter pods. the shifter pods have not developed any slop or sticking even though we punish our bikes every weekend on super dusty desert trails. the Talas forks are sweet too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the 06 Epic is worth paying extra for because they made the brain adjustable.

I think the big change for the stumpjumper os the change in rear shock. Some people had problems with the septune rear shock, and a lot of people didn't like that it couldn't be locked-out.

If you don't care about lock-out, then 05 is probably a better deal. Hydralic brakes are sweet.

But ... it seems like you should be getting a better price on the 05, unless the 05 is a higher level model like the expert.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The 2005 is the Expert model - retail is 2199. I think the rear shock has lockout as well. I am not considering the Epic, just the Stumpjumper FSR range and possibly the hardtail models.

The brakes are the XT hydraulics.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I just placed an order for the 06 SJ (no comp or pro). I compared the differences for each step up and didn't feel it was worth it (although a Talas would have been nice). I do not like the feel of Avid brakes, mech or hydro, and will be getting them swapped for the Hayes HFX-9.

BTW, caught the bike on sale for $1600. The brake upgrade is extra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.