Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Sure but I think I would rather have Company XYZ's carbon bike first

Votes: 1 5.0%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that there are going to be two new frames (race oriented) that will replace the Burner frame. Both will be lighter than the current burner but they will be in the price range of the 5 spot, if not more. The will not be out till early 2005.

One is the "Nitrous" which I have seen the pictures is supposively the 3" version:
http://www.singletrackworld.co.uk/article.php?sid=1313.

Then there is a "Flux" model which I have only heard about to have 4" of travel. Has anyone else heard or seen anything about this other bike, the "Flux"???

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
What the Flux???

Heh I always wanted to say that.

roy harley said:
I heard that there are going to be two new frames...
...there is a "Flux" model which I have only heard about to have 4" of travel. Has anyone else heard or seen anything about this other bike, the "Flux"???
Good thing is Turner Broke-out with the Nitrous announcement right here in this forum! :D
Hopefully when they are ready to make other introductions they'll do it here as well. Stay tuned kiddies. ;)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
roy harley said:
Then there is a "Flux" model which I have only heard about to have 4" of travel. Has anyone else heard or seen anything about this other bike, the "Flux"???
All I've heard are rumors and wisperings. Maybe after Interbike I'll have some solid info, and who knows... maybe some pics :D .

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Show us some proto type pictures....

Looking at the pictures of the Nitrous really reminds me of my Schwinn Homegrown Limited! Same color even (gold). That Frame was unbelievably light and it would climb so fast! I use to race and it was going to be my XC race machine (18" frame around 22 lbs easily). It was a hardtail and the seatstay yoke that was on that bike made it super stiff in the back which helped on the climbing too. Had it stolen after having it only 2 months, never raced on it :mad: :(

Anyways I am over the racing thing but still love a light XC bike to ride around in the Colorado Rockies. But I said after my bike was stolen that my next bike is going to be a FS XC bike! With all the things I have heard from the post on MTBR.com, about the Turner bikes it's really hard to ignore the positive reviews on the bikes. Next years Flux, Nitrous, or what ever name they are given sounds like the ultimate FS XC machine for me! Can't wait till the interbike pictures! :D It's too hard to wait!

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pete, I saw on the other thread that you had a little time to ride on this bike ( I am very jealous by the way). Real quick question to you. Do you think there will be a recommended weight restriction for such a bike? How much do you weigh, how did the bike feel to you? Do you think any weight would be fine if the person is only doing XC riding? 160, 170, 180, 190, xtc... weight limit?

Reason I say this is My old homegrown frame weighed about 2.75lbs if I remember right and it took some nice lines by rock and air on that hardtail. I was very impressed but I was always scared to death I was going to snap that frame and I weigh in at 175, maybe 180 with my riding gear on. Maybe if I had that bike longer :( I would have eventually

·
Registered
101 Posts
"Naming is one of the most arduous and crappy tasks that an organization has to do"

"Naming is one of the most arduous and crappy tasks that an organization has to do," said Phil Martens, Ford Motor's group vice president for product creation, recently.

A Turner new frame, whatever the geometry is, whatever the main purpose is, whatever colors it has, whatever limitations it has, whatever its weight, it definitely will be a great frame. A Turner frame. But please Dave & Casey, please choose a name wisely.

http://www.forbes.com/2004/07/12/cz_jf_0712featB.html
http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/vehicles/2004/07/12/cx_dl_0712feat.html

Nitros, sounds gassy (pun not intended), light, above all.
But Flux, fluid???!!!??? sounds like Liquid (like Trek's).

There's a brand equity to leverage.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
All I've heard are rumors and wisperings. Maybe after Interbike I'll have some solid info, and who knows... maybe some pics :D .
I've heard some rumors too - not about a 4" bike - but about two others in the works...

but I'm going to keep quiet and hope Casey or DT will give the Turner board the scoop....

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
So, the Nitrous is a reality and will be produced for next year. We are hoping for an initial delivery of production frames sometime late this year, Nov/Dec. It is a 3" unltra light pure xc racing rame. This is not meant for the guy who is out to race once a month at the local race. Simply put it is not a replacement for the Burner. It is way out of the Burners league. The medium I own is 4.435 lbs with the shock, seat collar and bottle bolts. The full bike is 22.5 lbs. Geoff Kabush and Cesar Grajales have been racing them for team Maxxis and really loving the way they perform.

As far as a Burner replacement....yes we have begun working on something and hope to tell all of you about it here in the near future!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
turnerbikes said:
As far as a Burner replacement....yes we have begun working on something and hope to tell all of you about it here in the near future!

Enjoy!
Any comment on upcoming offerings for those of us who like MORE travel rather than less? I hear whisperings of a couple of offerings in the near future???

btw, my RFX did very well on this year's pilgimage to Whistler & The Shore...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
macrider said:
Any comment on upcoming offerings for those of us who like MORE travel rather than less? I hear whisperings of a couple of offerings in the near future???

btw, my RFX did very well on this year's pilgimage to Whistler & The Shore...
The Highline will also be a reality this upcoming year. It is definitely the hardest bike David has worked on and thus taking the most amount of time.

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about a replacement to span the gap

You don't have to let the cat out of the bag or anything but will there be a bike to span the gap between the "5 spot" and the "Nitrous" for next year? My riding is right there in the middle of those two designs, Right where a lighter and longer travel burner replacement should go. :D

Just tell me theres a chance for next year!! :confused:

Your bikes rock!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts