Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AKA shitbird
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I''ve had my eye on the Marzocchi all mountain 1 for awhile. I was hoping to get a 2006 one that wasn't the nasty yellow color (05) but they're too much $$. Anyway, I have seen good prices on the 05 but in "hard to find black European version". Anyone know what this is all about? I don't want to buy a fork and find out that it needs special European parts or something. Just curious if anyone has had an experience with these things.


Thanks
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
They're the same fork

Marzocchi marketed the black in Europe, and the desert Storm in the US. They are the same fork, no difference in the parts or internals.

Bob
 

·
AKA shitbird
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Marzocchi marketed the black in Europe, and the desert Storm in the US. They are the same fork, no difference in the parts or internals.

Bob
Cool, Thanks! I think I just might pick up a black 05 then. From what I can see Marz didn't change much from 2005 to 2006 on the all mountain 1. Am I right? I'm just wondering because I would hate to spend the money on the 05 to find out that if I saved some cash for a couple more months I could get a superior 2006.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
37,916 Posts
006_007 said:
The Canadian versions were in black as well. Us Canadians did not want to have anything to do with the hershey squirt brown color.
You might want to see a doctor if you have something comming out of your body that is the same color as the sand/tan AM1.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
eabos said:
Cool, Thanks! I think I just might pick up a black 05 then. From what I can see Marz didn't change much from 2005 to 2006 on the all mountain 1. Am I right? I'm just wondering because I would hate to spend the money on the 05 to find out that if I saved some cash for a couple more months I could get a superior 2006.
The lowers have changed and they now sport post mounts for disc brakes. If you have Avids or Hayes, this could benefit you. If you have some sort of Euro/Int'l standard brakes(like Hope), then this causes you to have to get an adapter.
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,297 Posts
Jayem said:
You might want to see a doctor if you have something comming out of your body that is the same color as the sand/tan AM1.
:D He's got his squirt mixed up with the 36 poo.

_MK
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
eabos said:
Cool, Thanks! I think I just might pick up a black 05 then. From what I can see Marz didn't change much from 2005 to 2006 on the all mountain 1. Am I right? I'm just wondering because I would hate to spend the money on the 05 to find out that if I saved some cash for a couple more months I could get a superior 2006.
The 06 went to post mount brake mounting and is approx 3mm taller a-2-c than the 2005. The adj knobs changed a bit and there is a remote bar mount option for the TST function. The 06 crown is slightly different too.

PS - I have an 05 for sale with the "rare" black lowers and the 20mm thru-axle Z1 lowers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,888 Posts
SSINGA said:
The 06 went to post mount brake mounting and is approx 3mm taller a-2-c than the 2005. The adj knobs changed a bit and there is a remote bar mount option for the TST function. The 06 crown is slightly different too.

PS - I have an 05 for sale with the "rare" black lowers and the 20mm thru-axle Z1 lowers.
Why are you ditching the Frankenfork?

Does that price include both sets of lowers? Madman if that is the case. :p
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,297 Posts
006_007 said:
Why are you ditching the Frankenfork?

Does that price include both sets of lowers? Madman if that is the case. :p
He's gone mad over getting the 66SL ;)

_MK
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
006_007 said:
Why are you ditching the Frankenfork?

Does that price include both sets of lowers? Madman if that is the case. :p
yep! both lowers. The 66SL is calling my name.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
66sl

Here in Germany, the first 66SLs were already distributed.

BUT:
All 66 from 2006 seem to have a problem with the Axle and the new lowers. The lowers aren´t perfectly produced, so it takes a little punch and pull to fit the axle. That means small bump sensitivity suffers a bit.

Marzocchi has already admitted this problem, they said, that every single fork will get the lowers replaced. But they first need to produce the new lowers in big numbers. Customers are allowed to ride their new forks until then, but need to ship in their forks in late february 2006!

So maybe you should wait, ride your frankenfork and buy the new 66SL in March or so!
PICTURES 66 RC2X

Have a look at the pictures. If there are questions left, just ask.

Greetings from Germany.
Znarf
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Znarf said:
BUT:
All 66 from 2006 seem to have a problem with the Axle and the new lowers. The lowers aren´t perfectly produced, so it takes a little punch and pull to fit the axle. That means small bump sensitivity suffers a bit.

Marzocchi has already admitted this problem, they said, that every single fork will get the lowers replaced. But they first need to produce the new lowers in big numbers. Customers are allowed to ride their new forks until then, but need to ship in their forks in late february 2006!

So maybe you should wait, ride your frankenfork and buy the new 66SL in March or so!
PICTURES 66 RC2X

Have a look at the pictures. If there are questions left, just ask.

Greetings from Germany.
Znarf
:( :mad: :mad:

Eek! I just comfirmed that AAppling72 has an alignment issue with his 66 Light too.

JNC - how about yours?
 

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
SSINGA said:
:( :mad: :mad:

Eek! I just comfirmed that AAppling72 has an alignment issue with his 66 Light too.

JNC - how about yours?
Yep! This is true. When I first took the fork out of the packaging and tried to remove the axle it had to be lightly tapped out so that I could put the wheel on. To re-install the axle with the wheel I had to push and pull a little to get it to fit. It seems like whoever put the axles in before they left the factory would notice that it wasn't going in as easy as it should. Anyway, hope they correct it like they say. I'll call them today and find out what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,006 Posts
SSINGA said:
:( :mad: :mad:

Eek! I just comfirmed that AAppling72 has an alignment issue with his 66 Light too.

JNC - how about yours?
...yeah, it is very slight. I really can't see how it would affect the forks performance once installed properly.

aappling72: post up your findings here.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...yeah, it is very slight. I really can't see how it would affect the forks performance once installed properly.

aappling72: post up your findings here.
I can only judge by this pic.... and seeing the pic, you can realize the axle actually tries to twist the lowers when installed. This will push one lower forwards and the other backwards. This can cause a LITTLE (capitols, before anyone would flame me) stiction and who knows?, maybe uneven bushing wear. Yes, small bump compliance could suffer some.
 

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top