Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Please be quiet and ride!
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

I heard it through an industry grapevine, that Manitou will offer a 6" firefly with a standard steerer for 2005. Is this true? has anyone else heard this? I know that they are coming out with the 5.7" Nixon, but this is the first that I have heard of this for the Firefly or any of the Sherman line. It would make sense to me that they would offer a 6" fork in the standard steerer tube, they are missing out on a-lot of business by only offering 6" in 1.5 . Fox will be offering a 6" standard HT, as will Magura, not to mention the new 7" Marzocchi 66. Any info would be welcome.
BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Yes, it's true.

Bikebrain said:
:confused:

I heard it through an industry grapevine, that Manitou will offer a 6" firefly with a standard steerer for 2005. Is this true? has anyone else heard this? I know that they are coming out with the 5.7" Nixon, but this is the first that I have heard of this for the Firefly or any of the Sherman line. It would make sense to me that they would offer a 6" fork in the standard steerer tube, they are missing out on a-lot of business by only offering 6" in 1.5 . Fox will be offering a 6" standard HT, as will Magura, not to mention the new 7" Marzocchi 66. Any info would be welcome.
BB
My lbs called Manitou to enquire about a spring for a 2004 Firefly. The guy there confirmed that the 2005 is a 6" travel and has 1-1/8" steer tube. Also it has the redesigned SPV with the air bladder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Bikebrain said:
:confused:

I heard it through an industry grapevine, that Manitou will offer a 6" firefly with a standard steerer for 2005. Is this true? has anyone else heard this? I know that they are coming out with the 5.7" Nixon, but this is the first that I have heard of this for the Firefly or any of the Sherman line. It would make sense to me that they would offer a 6" fork in the standard steerer tube, they are missing out on a-lot of business by only offering 6" in 1.5 . Fox will be offering a 6" standard HT, as will Magura, not to mention the new 7" Marzocchi 66. Any info would be welcome.
BB
Its true I ordered a firefly and instead of a 2004 I got a 2005. 150mm travel and I am 99% its a steel steer tube (it is 1 1/8"). I didn't get a chance to weigh it (too eager to get it set up), but it doesn't feel too light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
feedback please...

we need some feedback, the SPV is supposed to have a better adjustment range for small bump compliance, what's your opinion? Can you measure axle to crown lenght?

Thanks a bunch. I'm sure others will be eager for your comments also, we can't wait for 2005 products to show up...

Cheers.
AKBiker said:
Its true I ordered a firefly and instead of a 2004 I got a 2005. 150mm travel and I am 99% its a steel steer tube (it is 1 1/8"). I didn't get a chance to weigh it (too eager to get it set up), but it doesn't feel too light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
we need some feedback, the SPV is supposed to have a better adjustment range for small bump compliance, what's your opinion? Can you measure axle to crown lenght?

Thanks a bunch. I'm sure others will be eager for your comments also, we can't wait for 2005 products to show up...

Cheers.
I'll get that measurement for you some time tonight. I don't think I will be able to say too much about the improvment of the SPV over the 04 stuff as my last shock was a RS Psylo from 2000 that finaly blew up for the last time. Hopefully I will be able to take it out for a ride tonight, but I need to replace my front caliper first. If that doesn't end up giving me too much trouble I should be able to post some feedback as soon as tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
2005 Firefly

The center of the axle to the top of the crown is 21" +/-0.25" all I have is a tape messure so thats the best I can do. I just finished installing my new caliper and re-bleeding my front brake, so I am going to take it out for a quick test ride. Here is a pic of the fork if anyone is interested.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Thanks, 2005 certainly is the year for forks!

Looks great. Thanks for the measurement.

If you have time, let us know also how the travel adjustment works for the 05. Does it go from 150mm to 110mm? Does it become very firm in the lower travel setting?

Have fun, you are lucky to have got that fork instead of the 04 you ordered, such a nice baby.

AKBiker said:
The center of the axle to the top of the crown is 21" +/-0.25" all I have is a tape messure so thats the best I can do. I just finished installing my new caliper and re-bleeding my front brake, so I am going to take it out for a quick test ride. Here is a pic of the fork if anyone is interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
Looks great. Thanks for the measurement.

If you have time, let us know also how the travel adjustment works for the 05. Does it go from 150mm to 110mm? Does it become very firm in the lower travel setting?

Have fun, you are lucky to have got that fork instead of the 04 you ordered, such a nice baby.
Well that should be the travel range for the fork, and it does get pretty damn stiff at lower settings. However, I am having some issues with the spring rubbing and binding agains the stanction tube at the lower travel settins (see my post above). If anyone had this problem with a 04 sherman and has the solution please let me know. I am waiting on a response from Manitout to see what is up, at this point I might request a new one because having to rebuild a fork from the factory kinda pisses me off. Although I did have to do it on my last two RS forks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Bikebrain said:
:confused:

I heard it through an industry grapevine, that Manitou will offer a 6" firefly with a standard steerer for 2005. Is this true? has anyone else heard this? I know that they are coming out with the 5.7" Nixon, but this is the first that I have heard of this for the Firefly or any of the Sherman line. It would make sense to me that they would offer a 6" fork in the standard steerer tube, they are missing out on a-lot of business by only offering 6" in 1.5 . Fox will be offering a 6" standard HT, as will Magura, not to mention the new 7" Marzocchi 66. Any info would be welcome.
BB
Yes I just got one by mistake... Here is a pic of my bullit and the new 6" firefly. I ordered a Slider plus DC.

I haven't had it out on a real trail yet... maybe later today is it stops raining. I haven't cut the steerer and don't plan to because I think I will sell it unless it really rocks on the DH's.

Any offers?
 

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top