Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking heaps and finally realised im never gonna be the next XC world champ. Also realised im never gonna be pro free rider either. So im after something that will do both.

Looking at the Kona Stuff, and it seems to fit the bill. Im only worried about how it will handle long rides/commutes. Im guessing some rides will be around 15+kms. Being 6', im looking at a 17" frame. Will this be a nice and comfy bike for me? Don't want to bust my back and legs on the long hauls.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
22 Posts
im looking at konas too, im 6'4 or so, and my 17" is way small for me, ur best bet is to ride a 17 and a few that are bigger and see what fits you best. which konas were u lookin at, im kinda on a budget, so i was liking the coiler.

Good look

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking at the Kona Stuff (stuff is the model).
their web page call it a dirt jumper, but my LBS gave me the impression it was more free ride. is there a difference?

·
Registered
22 Posts
theres a difference between free ride and dirtjumping, i assume from the name that dirtjumping is, jumping dirtjumps. and freeride is more of big drops, and jumps and hurdling urself off of large things lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was looking at the 05 kona shred (same frame as stuff)
i ended up with a 04 Stuff (it looks to be the same frame)
im only 5'7" it happend to be the only one in stock and was a 15" frame it was the right hight off the ground but felt a little cramped, all i had to do was slide the seat back and twist my handle bar forward for a perfect fit.
the 04 has a longer stem than the 05 but if you feel cramped with a 17.5 (i think thats the biggest they make) then these fixes might help.
as for what the bike can do.
its perfect for Dj'ing and can handle 12' drops (so ive been told)
i ride with XC'ers ,this weekend ill find out if i can keep up but another option is to drop the guard and put on a 3rd gear (sry if my terminology is off) ill do this if i cant keep up but for now i like the guard
great bike for the price
the other bike i was looking at was the Giant sp1 and 2 but for the price i think you get more out of the kona, but thats contrary to what i have read.
dont know if this helps any, but ill let you know how it holds out XC

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
kona is great

Kevin B said:
Been thinking heaps and finally realised im never gonna be the next XC world champ. Also realised im never gonna be pro free rider either. So im after something that will do both.

Looking at the Kona Stuff, and it seems to fit the bill. Im only worried about how it will handle long rides/commutes. Im guessing some rides will be around 15+kms. Being 6', im looking at a 17" frame. Will this be a nice and comfy bike for me? Don't want to bust my back and legs on the long hauls.

Thanks everyone
it is another case of a munufacturer that does not have the undeserved "bling" of some psudo-costum makers but actually offeres better quality and most importantly a really wide choices of size. A lot of konas cone in 7 sizes which is almost unheard off from production-boutiques which offer only small-medium-large. I just ibought a kona primo scandium frame and it is just fantastic, better quality than any of my other frames, scandium built, 3 pounds weight ... $500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts