Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into building up/buying a new bike. I was looking at a 2005 Kona Stinky frame. Does anyone have a experience with this frame? Will this be any good for racing (not race specific but capable)? How is the 2005 stinky frame different from the 2005 stab? They look identical and they share the same geometry chart. Oh yeah, and can you put an 8" fork on w/o voiding the warranty?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Newer bikes('06), but I know of at least one guy racing one with a little bit of sucess on the local scene. As the for the fork, doesnt the primo come with an 8" 888 up front?

·
Registered
302 Posts
KJ,
Did you buy your frame? I just bought one too. 05 Stinky frame from thePathcycles in Tustin, CA. Olive Drab. I'm building it up as well which is gonna cost more but at least I can chose what I want. I have found some deals though so if you want to share ideas, I'd be happy to.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
the stinky's are okay. their linkage design isnt really race ready. but it can be done. I know of some friends who just do DH on theirs. they're plenty capable. been trying to find a 04+ stinky for cheap to use as a backup, but havent had any luck. you know why ? because no one wants to sell theirs :D

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
the stinky is great for DH. u couldnt put in in nearly the same class as a Sunday, but it deffinetly holds its own on the DH courses. personaly i prefer the 05 stinky frame over any of the other years. i think it looks better, and i like the geo of the 05better then the 06 or 07, even though there were not huge changes in the geo.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's great to hear guys. Validates my purchase. I wasn't really in the market for a bike since my Teocali Super is a decent freeride bike but hearing your comments about it being a decent DH bike and freeride bike has got me pretty excited. I've never done alot of downhill or raced but maybe this could be my beginner bike into both! I just found a great deal on a Manitou Sherman Slider + for $260 shipped last night that I think will work well. Also got some new SRAM X9 shifters for $40 as well. I'm on a tight budget!!

Do you guys recommend any other components? I thinking of staying with Truvativ and SRAM for the drivetrain and possibly some SUN singletracks or Rynolites. Since I have the same set up on the Mongoose and love em'....

Peas out!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
ya, stay w/ the Sram stuff. i personaly would get somthin other than Truvativ (i personaly dont like there stuff) but the higher end TruVativ stuff is pritty good like the Hulzfellers. outof those 2 wheelsets u mentioned i would go w/ the SingleTracks, but if i were u i would get Sun-Ringle MTX's insted

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
good choice on the fork. but with it, your bike will be a little more FR worthy. the sherman uses SPV wich people complain about its small bump sensitivity. but I'm sure you'll be just fine. look into like an azonic outlaw wheelset, possibly some nice brakes too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Running 05Stinky + 66RC and its great.
About drivetrain: whatever, stay with short cage and You will be fine (i did lost some spokes with my long cage lx, eventually lx itself - with short XT its fine).
I heard good words on stinky + boxxer race (dh and slope) from one guy here. It Does look good.
Good luck with Your Buy.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If you go with a short cage rear derailleur, you should probably only run a single chainring. And you'll probably only want to run up to a 11-32 cassette spread.

The Slider is an okay fork. The turning radius is kind of limited. SPV is nice if you pedal a lot, but I feel that it limits the fork's potential. You can devolve the SPV by removing the checkspring. It will give the SPV a much more TPC-like feel. But you'll still have the air to adjust it. SPV tends to make the fork feel notchy and you lose small bump compliance. Remember to always ride with atleast the minimum recommended air pressure in the fork.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.