Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen threads about this bike, but figured I'd make one for all of us to swap knowledge/pics/appreciation/ideas/etc.

I recently bought the frame deal at Jenson for $425 and it came with the Fox shock. The manual doesn't say much about weight. So what psi are you guys using and what's your weight/riding style like? How does it work out for you?

I'm about 160lbs and have been using 145psi so far. It seems good, but this is my first rear suspension bike. :D

Also, how bout some pics!? Here's mine. She weighs a nice plump 31lbs, up 4 from my hardtail. ;) Next upgrade will be the cranks, if only because they look so silly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love it. My hardtail used to sap energy on climbs when it'd hit a rock, the Fox shock just soaks it up. Pedal bob proved minimal even when out of saddle pedlin'. And the ability to launch off small drops and land on a sofa puts a stupid grin on my face every time. The bike pretty much goes wherever I want it, chalk that up to the steep head angle. I've noticed I'm pushin' harder in the corners than my Trek HT and it takes em' like a champ.The paint chips kinda easy, but I'm in AZ on rocks.

As for cranks, my bro has the stylos. He digs em, but I'm leaning towards the FSA V-Drive Megaexo Crankset w/ BB for $150 from smartbikeparts.com. I'm 5' 7" w/ a 31" inseam so 170mm's for me. The product reviews rave of these lil guys. Know how much the stylo weighs?

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
rm_racer said:
awesome. i'm looking for ways to cut some weight. i may go to a fox float r or rockshox revelation as well after i get some more cash. i was also thinking about getting my current vanilla r's RLC'ed by Push.
Your not going to drop THAT much weight by going to either of those shocks... just send it along to push. I wouldn't give up my vanilla for wither of those shocks.

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
oh really? it would save me some money....and i love the plushness of the vanillas. oh-so-plush. and i just got my SRAM 990 casset in today. ooohh so nice! i had originally ordered a 950, but it has been on backorder for 3 weeks and then today the 990 showed up on my doorstep. i was stoked. i'm waiting for the 07 x9 too. boy, i need to get a job at my local shop so i can pay for this stuff!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Fox manual won't mention weight, since there's too many varibles with weights and strokes. What they do say is to set your sag -

"To get the best performance from your FOX Racing Shox, it is necessary to adjust sag. Sag is how much the shock compresses or “sags” when you sit on the bicycle.
Use this procedure to measure the sag on your FOX Racing Shox FLOAT and Vanilla shocks.

Measurement #1
1. Before sitting on the bicycle, measure and record the distance from the center of one mounting bolt to the center of the other mounting bolt. This is known as the “eye to eye” measurement. Air shocks have an o-ring on the shock body. The o-ring should be pushed up against the scraper lip of the air sleeve. If there is no o-ring, use the "eye to eye" method.

Measurement #2
2. Sit on the bicycle in a normal riding position. Your weight should be distributed on the saddle, handlebars and pedals. It may be necessary to hold yourself up against a wall or post to steady yourself. Do not bounce on the pedals or saddle.
3. Have an assistant measure and record the eye to eye distance. Subtract Measurement #2 from Measurement #1. The difference is the sag. For an air shock, dismount the bicycle and measure from the scraper lip to the o-ring. This is the sag."

The recomended amount of sag depends on the shock's stroke, so on my 38mm Float shock the setting is 9.5mm reguardless of rider's weight. If you find yourself bottoming out frequently, try another 5 lbs.

- Nice ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so my 2005 Fox Float has a 38mm stroke too. Yesterday was the first day I got out of "WOW! I love my rear suspension and don't care to play with it" mode. I added 157 psi to see how it felt with my weight as one bike shop had recommended. 2-3ft drops felt more in control, but the ride was noticeable rougher/out of control on the rest of the trail. :( When I got home I found my sag was 6mm or 16%. I tried 130 psi and got 8mm sag. Then stuck my pack on w/ water and got a little over 9mm sag with camelback loaded. So I'll be taking it out like this and see how it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.