Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

A good friend has a 2005 Giant Reign 1 available to sell. It has the 2006 Fox fork and shock on it. It has been recently tuned at the LBS and is in perfect working condition. Of course frame shows some signs of use. But overall in very good shape.

Specs at : h__p://archive.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2005&model=11151]Bikes / Archive*

It also has the following upgrades over what is listed on the spec sheet:
- Fork: Fox 36 Talas R w/20mm thru-axle, 120-160mm travel
- Shock Fox Float RP3
- XTR M960 Crankset
- XTR front and rear derailleurs
- XTR Chain w/ maybe 200 miles
- XT rear cassette w/ maybe 200 miles (replaced XTR)
- Hayes El Camino brakes
- Raceface carbon seat post
- Maaxis Ignitor tires (~400 miles)

I have read the advice about selecting a bike on this forum and know it is much more about the fit and match to riding style versus finding "a good deal". For now, I just want to know if this is good value for $1400. I have ridden it 3 times. Fits perfect and I love it. But I also need to ride a 29er at some point before reaching a decision. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
301 Posts
$1400 for a 2005 seems a bit high. Is it worth it to you? When buying a used bike, knowing the former owner and the condition of the parts is worth some amount of premium.

If I had to estimate though, I'd say similar bikes go for ~$900 - $1100 on Ebay, without shipping.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That was the first year of the masetro suspension. The basic design, not travel was changed the next year. I would say he is asking too much considering you could get a brand new Trance X4 with full warranty for about the same price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As with everyone else I agree that $1400 seems a bit high. While it does have nice list of upgraded components, it still is a 6-7 year old bike. For reference, I just built an 05 Reign up, basically was Reign 2 with upgrades including: Marzocchi SL1 AM fork (fresh rebuild), Fox RP2 (fresh rebuild), brand new SRAM X9 shifters derailleurs, and lightly used Deore XT brakes for under $1000. I've seen other similarly upgraded 05-06 Reigns going in around the same price range, and I haven't seen any going for $1400 or more except for '08s and newer. I recommend you explore some more options or have a chat with your buddy and see what he can do for you considering the prices of similar bikes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+2 on pinkbike.com

There are currently 09 Reign's listed for the same price or less. Your buddy wants to make his money back on the upgrades (totally understand) but to do so means someone has to overpay for it. To play it safe in terms of your friendship best to let this one pass.

FWIW, i would expect to pay around $900 for the "buddy price", $1,100 from a complete stranger.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input and valuable advice. You guys got me searching and I found this bike quite close to me. Is this a good value?

09 Giant Anthem x3 - $1250

Gold Chris King hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.2 rims with butted DT Swiss spokes
100 mm Ritchey wcs stem (upgrade)
Specialized S-Works carbon flat bar (upgrade)
deore front derailleur
xt rear derailleur (upgrade)
xt crankset (upgrade)
xt 3x9 shifters (upgrade)
xt 12-32 cassette (upgrade)
xtr chain (upgrade)
shimano non series disc brakes (They stop well or they would have been replaced)

Over all the bike is in great shape. It has slight cable rub marks & slight heel marks on the chain stays.
Fox front & rear suspension both hold air with no oil leaks what so ever.

Thanks again. Finding the "right" used bike on the internet is tough because I would of course like to purchase locally.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not a bad price if the drivetrain is in good shape. That said, an Anthem and a Reign are two very different bikes. I would worry about finding the kind of bike I want to ride first, then try to narrow down manufacturers, then try and get the one I want for the lowest price.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
what do you want to ride like?

Thanks for all the input and valuable advice. You guys got me searching and I found this bike quite close to me. Is this a good value?

09 Giant Anthem x3 - $1250

Gold Chris King hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.2 rims with butted DT Swiss spokes
100 mm Ritchey wcs stem (upgrade)
Specialized S-Works carbon flat bar (upgrade)
deore front derailleur
xt rear derailleur (upgrade)
xt crankset (upgrade)
xt 3x9 shifters (upgrade)
xt 12-32 cassette (upgrade)
xtr chain (upgrade)
shimano non series disc brakes (They stop well or they would have been replaced)

Over all the bike is in great shape. It has slight cable rub marks & slight heel marks on the chain stays.
Fox front & rear suspension both hold air with no oil leaks what so ever.

Thanks again. Finding the "right" used bike on the internet is tough because I would of course like to purchase locally.
Looks to be a good deal

***************BUT*****************

Do you know what it is you are looking for in a bike?!
These two bikes (anthem and reign) are DRASTICALLY different in purpose. Sure, both bikes, but one is an XC race machine, the other is an AM/light FR rig.

What kind of riding do you do now?
what kind of riding do you WANT to progress to?

That is the question.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I agree with the sentiment that you need to figure out what kind of bike that you're looking for (because the Anthem and the Reign are definitely two distinctly different types of bike) rather than just looking for a good deal on some kind of bike. A great deal on a bike that is really not suited to you is not really that much of a bargain.

As for the 2005 Reign being too over priced? I don't think it was way far off the mark IF it hasn't been ridden too hard, it has the original CrossMax wheelset in addition to the parts listed, and the components are not clapped out.

My son and I have owned 2005 Reigns since 2006 (we stole the frames for $400 each from WheelWorld and built them up), and they are good riding and VERY sturdy bikes.

The 2009 top of the line Reign came with WTB wheels. . . . Not the same league as CrossMax.

A newer Trance X does not have near the components that 2005 Reign has. Like I said though, it really depends on how much wear and tear it has on it. JMHO.

The one thing a brand new bike has is a warranty (especially a Giant with a lifetime warranty). That is one big reason the value of a bike goes down as soon as it leaves the showroom floor, since the warranty is not transferrable.

Still, the biggest issue here is what kind of bike is the rider (the OP) really suited for? Figure that out, and then look for a good deal on that kind of bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great input. And you guys are certainly correct on needing to decide on what type of bike I am looking for. I am just coming back to mountain biking after about a 15 year absence. So much has changed. And I have to say 15 years ago, I wasn't all that into it. But now I need a sport that I can get exercise and focus my attention that will not destroy my knees. Had to give up basketball about 5 years ago.

So here are the details. I am 38, 5' 10'' and 245lbs. I am not in good shape at this point. I ride singletrack trails in NC. I have gone about 5 times in the past month or so and we are riding "intermediate" trails at this point. I am slow. Uphills kill me. But I am already learning, especially on how to keep speed and approach the uphill sections. I would like to progress to be able to ride faster and ride the more advanced trails available in the area. But these are not mountains. I will never jump off anything more than 1.5-2ft. However I am fairly agressive and will look to get "smaller" air when available. From some of the vids I have seen on this forum I will never ever come close to what you all are doing. If I do downhill it would be literally once or twice if we ever get a trip going up to the Snowshoe. I may ride some flat xc trails with the wife every once in a while. Never plan to peddle on hard surfaces. I have ridden the singletrack trails here enough already to know that I really "want to get into this"

I am finding it very difficult to learn "what is comfortable" for me when it comes to a specific bike. I am 45min away from any bike shops and they all close at 6pm. So I have not had a chance with work to look into anything. I was very focused on the Reign, because my buddy who I have been going with has it, and I loved it. He always said "this is too much bike for around here". So then after your feedback above, I became more focused on the Anthem which I am looking at today.

To be very honest, and I know this is far from optimal, but part of my strategy is to get a used bike at a good value. Something of course that "on paper" meets my needs. That will enable me to get into the sport faster and that is more important right now than the effort it will take to find the perfect bike. Then if I decide I want something else I can sell if for minimal loss and get something new. The Reign and Anthem both appear they would meet me needs at this point in time. And yes, that has a lot to do with they are both available to me locally.

I am up for any other suggestions. Especially if you have thoughts on the Reign vs Anthem given my expected usage.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sounds like you're a straight-ahead XC rider. The Anthem and other XC bikes would probably meet your needs just fine, and would climb better than the Reign.

For that matter, you may want to start with a hardtail. You'll get a lot more for the money, get back into mountain biking, start to improve your conditioning, and then you can consider whether you really need full suspension or not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for all the great input. And you guys are certainly correct on needing to decide on what type of bike I am looking for. I am just coming back to mountain biking after about a 15 year absence. So much has changed. And I have to say 15 years ago, I wasn't all that into it. But now I need a sport that I can get exercise and focus my attention that will not destroy my knees. Had to give up basketball about 5 years ago.

So here are the details. I am 38, 5' 10'' and 245lbs. I am not in good shape at this point. I ride singletrack trails in NC. I have gone about 5 times in the past month or so and we are riding "intermediate" trails at this point. I am slow. Uphills kill me. But I am already learning, especially on how to keep speed and approach the uphill sections. I would like to progress to be able to ride faster and ride the more advanced trails available in the area. But these are not mountains. I will never jump off anything more than 1.5-2ft. However I am fairly agressive and will look to get "smaller" air when available. From some of the vids I have seen on this forum I will never ever come close to what you all are doing. If I do downhill it would be literally once or twice if we ever get a trip going up to the Snowshoe. I may ride some flat xc trails with the wife every once in a while. Never plan to peddle on hard surfaces. I have ridden the singletrack trails here enough already to know that I really "want to get into this"

I am finding it very difficult to learn "what is comfortable" for me when it comes to a specific bike. I am 45min away from any bike shops and they all close at 6pm. So I have not had a chance with work to look into anything. I was very focused on the Reign, because my buddy who I have been going with has it, and I loved it. He always said "this is too much bike for around here". So then after your feedback above, I became more focused on the Anthem which I am looking at today.

To be very honest, and I know this is far from optimal, but part of my strategy is to get a used bike at a good value. Something of course that "on paper" meets my needs. That will enable me to get into the sport faster and that is more important right now than the effort it will take to find the perfect bike. Then if I decide I want something else I can sell if for minimal loss and get something new. The Reign and Anthem both appear they would meet me needs at this point in time. And yes, that has a lot to do with they are both available to me locally.

I am up for any other suggestions. Especially if you have thoughts on the Reign vs Anthem given my expected usage.

Thanks again.
I would consider cheaper. You tried it 15 years ago and failed. Dropping that much for a used bike when you are not sure if you are going to like it seems to be a bad move.

Find a Nice solid hard tail use it for a season or two and if you like it you will have more of an idea what you want. Also you will have the skills to actually ride your 1.5k bike.

Just my input. I am a noob so take my advice for what it is worth. I wanted to get back into riding did my research and bought a Forge Sawback. (Preprice increase) What I realized is that this is a good enough bike for what I am going to use it for and I am completely happy with it. (Well minus the Dart 1... I wish I would have got a Dart 2 or better) I would have been kicking my ass had I dropped over a grand for a bike that I only take to the mountains 3 times a year. The rest of the time it is used for towing a bike trailer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input. You guys were right, the XC Anthem was a better choice and that is the bike I went with. Once I met the (original) owner I felt really good that the bike was well taken care of. New cables, new tires, everything was working perfectly. Bike in great shape. Got it for $1200 last Friday.

Got it on the (wet) trails hours after purchase and had a blast with it. Also had the Reign there so it was interesting comparing the two bikes. And for other newbies who may find this, there is a big difference as everyone will tell you. I felt like the Anthem was much easier to control and throw around. Much better on the uphill. Still enough suspension for what I will throw at it. It was too wet to really fairly compare them on the decents. For some reason the front wheel was slipping all the time on the Reign and I felt much more in control on the Anthem. Except for the one time I got dumped hard when the front wheel slipped out - whoops. Luckilly just some scratches. The Anthem at 25.5lbs is about 5 lbs lighter then the Reign. Got a chance to tweak the suspension settings and tire PSI's today and looking forward to a ride tomorrow. I have a lot to learn, but feel good that I have a great bike to figure it out on.

Austanian - I appreciate your input, but you are making an assumption when you say I "failed". 15 years ago I had two better knees and was much more focused on basketball and volleyball. I also lived in a location that had very limited trails and you could only ride 7 months of the year. Thus I had other priorities. Now I live where you can ride 12 mo of the year and have many different and very good local trails. Plus no more basketball due to bad knees to take my time.

A few picts of the Anthem:

Thanks for all your input. Now off to more reading and learning

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
You did well

Thanks for all the input. You guys were right, the XC Anthem was a better choice and that is the bike I went with. Once I met the (original) owner I felt really good that the bike was well taken care of. New cables, new tires, everything was working perfectly. Bike in great shape. Got it for $1200 last Friday.

Thanks for all your input. Now off to more reading and learning
With all the drivetrain and wheelset upgrades as well as new cabling and tires, your money was pretty well spent. It's always best when you have that extra bit of confidence after having met the owner, and getting a good feeling about them. Hopefully your intuition is correct.

Enjoy the bike, it's a great ride!

Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.