Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just got a post card at work from giant about some new giant maestro, had a pic of the design for the rear of a bike, some strange linkage, simalar to the new gt idrive design but utilizing a coilover rear shock. Maybe the replacement for the AC, seems fitting seeing as i was told they may have discountiued the ac for 2005. Anybody else hear anything about this?????

·
Registered
245 Posts
Crashtdp said:
Hey, just got a post card at work from giant about some new giant maestro, had a pic of the design for the rear of a bike, some strange linkage, simalar to the new gt idrive design but utilizing a coilover rear shock. Maybe the replacement for the AC, seems fitting seeing as i was told they may have discountiued the ac for 2005. Anybody else hear anything about this?????
The postcard you got is showing the rear linkage system of a 2005 Giant bike called FAITH. Maestro is the model of the new rear shock. Giant dealers will be seeing a few more postcards which are really just a teaser for us. Giant will have thier sales meeting in mid September and thats when we will get all the final details.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
This thread is worthless without pics....

Please scan the postcard and disclose the thing!!!

I just can't wait to see it. Which price range will it be???

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,151 Posts
I spoke w/ our local Giant rep yesterday. He clearly was not going to give out any information about the new stuff. Loose lips etc... So I ***** slapped him, body slammed him, pile drive and stole his VT.

not really, i was just polite.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
BTW... Can you get a Warp frame (only) in the US???

I had to sell my bike off and have a baby coming so only option is to get a Warp again... but LBS here want to charge like 1100 bucks... and the fork on the DS1 '04 is at least weak.

I'm looking forward on building a warp from a frame. Not now, maybe early next year, but I'm exploring possibilities...

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
The warp might fit your style, but why would you spend your money on one building it up when you can find most of giant's lineup as a frame for pretty cheap on ebay etc. I've seen ac frames going for $400 and nrs frames even cheaper.

As for the Faith, I will have to look into that. Post the pic!! What do you mean by "similar to the i-drive?"

·
Registered
245 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
The warp might fit your style, but why would you spend your money on one building it up when you can find most of giant's lineup as a frame for pretty cheap on ebay etc. I've seen ac frames going for $400 and nrs frames even cheaper.

As for the Faith, I will have to look into that. Post the pic!! What do you mean by "similar to the i-drive?"
What I see in the postcard does not look similar to an i-drive set-up. It does look a little different for Giant but no i-drive look alike.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I'm betting it's designed as a VPP fighter. Giant probably saw how Santa Cruz and Intense were cashing in on that design and they came up w/ their answer. I wonder if they found a way around the patent like Marin's design, or if they ended up paying SC? (I'm guessing the first one) Looks like I should start saving my change for a new frame!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
BikeSATORI said:

I live in Mexico. I would be paying for a Warp DS2 around 750 bucks and then spend like 400 bucks or more in parts to upgrade (fork, drivetrain, wheels, disc brakes). That would be a whopping 1100 bucks. For that price I can get a brand new Giant Warp DS1 (herein my country) but I would still need at least 280 bucks to get the Warp a decent fork.

OTOH, I can get a cheap frame for 400 bucks (or less) and spend around 700 bucks on parts to build it and get the bike I want.

Another option I have is to directly import the bike as a whole with already upgraded parts and it would be cheaper than getting it from a dealer. LBS in mexico just yield high vacuum.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Nrs

Warp2003 said:
I live in Mexico. I would be paying for a Warp DS2 around 750 bucks and then spend like 400 bucks or more in parts to upgrade (fork, drivetrain, wheels, disc brakes). That would be a whopping 1100 bucks. For that price I can get a brand new Giant Warp DS1 (herein my country) but I would still need at least 280 bucks to get the Warp a decent fork.

OTOH, I can get a cheap frame for 400 bucks (or less) and spend around 700 bucks on parts to build it and get the bike I want.

Another option I have is to directly import the bike as a whole with already upgraded parts and it would be cheaper than getting it from a dealer. LBS in mexico just yield high vacuum.
I believe that the NRS will stay around for 2005. Did they not just modify the frame for '04? I don't think they would have bothered if they were going to cancel it. It would not have made sence if they planned on ditching it. They still sell well, and probably will continue to. They are awesome race bikes.

·
Banned
72 Posts
The postcard we got was a dot-to-dot of the suspension. And one of the dumb*** mechanics screwed it up. I guess he didn't pass kindergarten. I guess I'll have to wait for another one.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
SpeedDreamin said:
The postcard we got was a dot-to-dot of the suspension. And one of the dumb*** mechanics screwed it up. I guess he didn't pass kindergarten. I guess I'll have to wait for another one.

Buy this month's bicycling issue... there's the postcard you had.

IMHO... it looks like a license from VPP with a Fox DHX. There's some thing protuding from the BB which seems a bit exposed (although you should bang your chainrings before). Anyway it should be exposed to dust/dirt/debris from the front wheel. Not a real issue I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crashtdp said:

US are alway the first to know the news. Please someone can write me where can I see the Giant Maestro bike?
I'm Italian.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
ale said:
US are alway the first to know the news. Please someone can write me where can I see the Giant Maestro bike?
I'm Italian.
ale - Look in the Interbike pictures in the link to "Gallery" at the top of the page. There are pics of all 3 Maestro bikes (Trance, Reign and Faith). Of course you'll have to flip through quite a few pics. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to make links. Maybe someone else will.

Cheers!
-Ian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts