Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just pulled in from the first day at the Trek dealer open house in Madison WI. Thought I'd drop a post in here about the new Fisher 29er's for 2005. I must say I was very impressed, Fisher really got it right for next year. Fisher is sporting 5 mtb bikes and a few dual sport bike for next year. I will just give you my opinion on the 5 mtb 29er's. All the bikes sport the new Rock Shox Reba fork (except the Rig ss) and SRAM components...thats right I said SRAM!!!

1. RIG - a lot of buzz about this new EBB single speed 29er. most have seen pics of the Rig already, but pics do it no justice. The paint job is killer...an awesome deep metallic purple color. Avid mech. disc brakes...Bonty fork...this is a must have bike for 05. MSRP $879.99

2. Sugar 292. REBA!!!!! Mix of SRAM x.0 and x.9 trigger shift components. Hayes HFX-9 disc brakes. Carbon seat stays. Fox rear shock. Bonty crank. Very cool deep red color. MSRP $2749.99

3. Sugar 293. REBA!!!! Mix of SRAM x.9 and x.7 trigger shift components. Avid Mech disc brakes. Fox rear shock. Stealthy Black paint job. MSRP $1979.99

4. Paragon. That’s right...it's back. REBA!!!!! SRAM x.9 trigger shift components. Hayes HXF-9 hyro disc brakes. Bonty crank. Deep red color, and the new Fisher decal logo. This one is very cool...I had to change my undies after I saw it. MSRP $1539.99

5. X-Caliber. REBA!!!!! SRAM x.9 and x.7 trigger shift components. Avid mech disc brakes. Metallic Black color. MSRP $1269.99

Well that’s it...no word on the Super Cal for 05. I didn't see one and I was kinda bummed about that!! I'm going back to the show tomorrow to dive deeper into the line. But in all the whole Trek/Fisher/LeMond/Klien line was very cool. Lots of new things. Other things I thought were cool was the new Fisher Mullet and the Freeride bike the King Fisher. I hope this wets everyones appetite for 2005!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Fisher 05

Much better report than last year, that's for sure. Sram/RS, sounds good as well, as long as the Reba is as good as it sounds...
BUT, My big question is why only higher end 29ers??? I've been hassling Fisher for Tassajara and HKEK level bikes in 29" flavor. That way, the masses could enjoy the ride of big wheels as well. This is the price level where 90% of our customers are at. Newbies and occasional riders could especially benefit from the big wheels. Instead, the xcal is now more$$$ than before. The dual sports may be cheaper, I want REAL mtb's (especially a smaller big ring for clearance, and tires.)
Still, great news overall! thanks for the report!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hang tight

n8ofire said:
Much better report than last year, that's for sure. Sram/RS, sounds good as well, as long as the Reba is as good as it sounds...
BUT, My big question is why only higher end 29ers??? I've been hassling Fisher for Tassajara and HKEK level bikes in 29" flavor. That way, the masses could enjoy the ride of big wheels as well. This is the price level where 90% of our customers are at. Newbies and occasional riders could especially benefit from the big wheels. Instead, the xcal is now more$$$ than before. The dual sports may be cheaper, I want REAL mtb's (especially a smaller big ring for clearance, and tires.)
Still, great news overall! thanks for the report!
I've been told that lower priced 29er's are a goal of Fisher in order to convert more people to 29er heaven. I think we will start to see that in the next few years.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
I'm glad to see the SRAM components

The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
Well I just pulled in from the first day at the Trek dealer open house in Madison WI. Thought I'd drop a post in here about the new Fisher 29er's for 2005. I must say I was very impressed, Fisher really got it right for next year. Fisher is sporting 5 mtb bikes and a few dual sport bike for next year. I will just give you my opinion on the 5 mtb 29er's. All the bikes sport the new Rock Shox Reba fork (except the Rig ss) and SRAM components...thats right I said SRAM!!!

1. RIG - a lot of buzz about this new EBB single speed 29er. most have seen pics of the Rig already, but pics do it no justice. The paint job is killer...an awesome deep metallic purple color. Avid mech. disc brakes...Bonty fork...this is a must have bike for 05. MSRP $879.99

2. Sugar 292. REBA!!!!! Mix of SRAM x.0 and x.9 trigger shift components. Hayes HFX-9 disc brakes. Carbon seat stays. Fox rear shock. Bonty crank. Very cool deep red color. MSRP $2749.99

3. Sugar 293. REBA!!!! Mix of SRAM x.9 and x.7 trigger shift components. Avid Mech disc brakes. Fox rear shock. Stealthy Black paint job. MSRP $1979.99

4. Paragon. That's right...it's back. REBA!!!!! SRAM x.9 trigger shift components. Hayes HXF-9 hyro disc brakes. Bonty crank. Deep red color, and the new Fisher decal logo. This one is very cool...I had to change my undies after I saw it. MSRP $1539.99

5. X-Caliber. REBA!!!!! SRAM x.9 and x.7 trigger shift components. Avid mech disc brakes. Metallic Black color. MSRP $1269.99

Well that's it...no word on the Super Cal for 05. I didn't see one and I was kinda bummed about that!! I'm going back to the show tomorrow to dive deeper into the line. But in all the whole Trek/Fisher/LeMond/Klien line was very cool. Lots of new things. Other things I thought were cool was the new Fisher Mullet and the Freeride bike the King Fisher. I hope this wets everyones appetite for 2005!!!!
I am planning a 29er. I was considering the X-Caliber, but I didn't want to have to replace expensive Shimano stuff with more reliable SRAM stuff. It would kinda be a waste of $$$$. I would also upgrade it to discs.

Now I have to rethink the equation now that the X-Caliber comes with Avid disc breaks and SRAM derailleur. Switching over to inexpensive grip shifts would be a snap.

$1269 is an awesome price for this setup. I tried specing out a Karate Monkey on Speedgoat.com and kept coming up with $1300-$1400 prices. Oh yeah, and black is my FAVORITE color for a bike.

I think I'll make a 2005 X-Caliber my next bike.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Thanks for that great report!
Cool to see that even the X-Caliber gets a Reba. Going on what Mikesee told us, stiffer than a Marz, and not too far off a White Brothers. I wonder what the internals will be between Fisher models. They can't all get the MotionCOntrol high-end thing...?
Looks like they decided to keep the high-end Sugars, but not create a hardtail with the same specs. Could be they simply sold them poorly over the years.
Lower-end 29"ers are really a change to make some serious money NOW. Any decently popular brand that offers them now, has costumers, I'm sure of that. Oh wait! BeOne is supposed to be in the process of conquering the USAQ, and they've had 2 hardtail/susp. seatpost models that always were immediately under the Fisher range. Perhaps someone should give those guys a look at Interbike to see what they'll bring Statesside? Over here in Europe, we'll always have Nishiki and BeOne offering the low-end, and Fishers hard to come by.
Actually, I kinda expected Trek to start offering some 29"ers in the lower end, to have Fisher handle the higher-end for now.

Real Cyclesmith, I'm really intrigued by the FS Dual Sport model showing up on the Fisher website-u-c. Feel welcome to make pics and tell us all about it :)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Some Additional Comments.

I also attended the show and have to agree with RealCyclesmith, that these bikes are really cool. I only want to say that, in my opinion, the new graphics and paint jobs are very tastefull and definitely understated from what I've seen from Fisher in the past few years. Thats not to say that they are dull. On the contrary! The Rig just happens to be in my favorite color, purple, and is just as described already.
The two geared hardtails have different levels of the Reba fork. The Paragon has a Reba SL, (I think its SL! ) and the other bike, a regular Reba. I hope RealCyclesmith will be able to go more in depth on this, as we had a very rushed tour of the show.
I did notice four models of the Dual Sport bikes, but not a FS model. (?) Must have missed that one. Perhaps one of these models will reach the lower price level, to attract new interest.
The SRAM spec was interesting. The rep that showed me through the bikes said that this was in response to "...what they (Trek) had to put up with from Shimano last year." Hmmm.
The Reba will not be available aftermarket this year. Trek/Fisher/Klein signed a one year exclusive for the technology.
Bontrager has several new carbon MTB bars, and hubs coming out which may be of interest. The single speed disc cassette style hub is also going to be available aftermarket, along with the rigid fork. Bontrager will also have a version of latex sealant available which got rave reveiws from a trusted source in the company.
No plans for any new 29" rubber in the near future.:(
Klein bikes were shown wih the new Maverick SC 32 single crown forks. Could it be that it may be convertible to 29er use?
Sorry for the length! :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
The Reba will not be available aftermarket this year. Trek/Fisher/Klein signed a one year exclusive for the technology.
Argh? So that means I can't have a Reba to upgrade my Dual Sport 129 to a decent front suspension... Major bummer.

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Fisherguy or anyone, give me a number so that I can call and get on a list to get "The Rig"...everytime I call, our rep knows nothing about it, and nobody else I've spoke to does either...So a name or number of someone at Fisher in the know would be awesome. I wrench at a shop with Fisher and I have to have it!

Feel free to PM the info if you want

[email protected]

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
The Fisher/RS press release seemed to say that Fisher would be SELLING them the forst year. Couldn't that mean that Fisher would sell the forks to their dealers?

In one version of the 2005 Fisher website, it emntioned a "Nirvana FS", next to the Nirvana. FS sometimes does mean Front Suspension, though...

Last time I checked, Bontrager offered its Mustang tubeless rim in both 26" and 29", but the needed rimstrip only in 26". Wondering what their system consists of, at least their only 29" tire offering goes BOOM when mounted without a tube.

One source says there will probably be a Bontrager race tire, the other that no new ones will be made.

Fisherguy put his office number on here once, you should be able to find it. Perhaps you could use the opportunity to interview him with the aquestions passing by on the forum? I'm sure now in the middle of show season, he nor Gary have much time to surf around bike forums to keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can buy a REBA!

Trek has the exclusive rights to the REBA 29er for the first year...on both OEM spec and on aftermarket. The REBA will be on the aftermarket...but if you want one you HAVE to go to a Trek/Fisher dealing LBS to buy one...no internet sales or general distribution on the 29er Reba for at least another year.

As far as the FS verbage on the Hybrid / Dual Sport Fishers...that stands for Front Suspension. Fisher is making 3 Hybrids in both Rigid and FS versions in each model. The Utopia moves out on the Hybrid line and into a Dual Sport role. The Montare and the Utopia are the '05 replacements for the 129 & 229 that we saw in 04...both have disc brakes and Front Suspention. The Utopia still sports the Rock Shox Metro fork and the Montare has the Manitou South. So in all Fisher has 6 700c Hybrids, 2 Dual Sport 29ers, and 5 MTB 29ers in their line for '05.

·
blame me for missed rides
789 Posts
[warning: OT]

oh boy am i glad to see some sram spec'd production bikes. time for a change.

[end OT]

·
What's up Dut?
361 Posts
The Rig

May I ask a little more about the RIG...

I am sure that it is spec'd with all Bontrager stuff, but what kind?
-Wheels?
-Stem/handlebar (carbon?)?
-Tires?
-Cranks?
-Headset?

Did you get a test ride? How did it feel?

Thanks!!!!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
As I Recall.............

mdutcher said:
May I ask a little more about the RIG...

I am sure that it is spec'd with all Bontrager stuff, but what kind?
-Wheels?
-Stem/handlebar (carbon?)?
-Tires?
-Cranks?
-Headset?

Did you get a test ride? How did it feel?

Thanks!!!!
I have a catalog that has all the specs that went home with another member of our shop! As soon as i get it back, I'll answer all in detail. Here from memory is some answers............

Wheels look to be Bontrager Super Stock Disc with a SS specific rear hub. Stem/ handlebar was standard issue aluminum. Crankset was the new Bontrager, ( read TruVativ), ss specific, which will be available aftermarket. It has an integrated bashguard. Tires were ACX 2.2 Bontrager that we all know and ....well anyway! Do not recall the headset. No test rides were available the night I was there.
Additionally, the frameset is hydroformed. ( think Giant) The headtube/ toptube junction is pretty large in diameter, then it "necks down" to a slightly smaller diameter, about three inches away from the junction. Supposedly, the frame is internally butted as well. There are other places on the frame that are like this, as well. Pretty cool stuff, but not earth shattering, from a frame tech standpoint.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I have a catalog that has all the specs that went home with another member of our shop! As soon as i get it back, I'll answer all in detail. Here from memory is some answers............

Wheels look to be Bontrager Super Stock Disc with a SS specific rear hub. Stem/ handlebar was standard issue aluminum. Crankset was the new Bontrager, ( read TruVativ), ss specific, which will be available aftermarket. It has an integrated bashguard. Tires were ACX 2.2 Bontrager that we all know and ....well anyway! Do not recall the headset. No test rides were available the night I was there.
Additionally, the frameset is hydroformed. ( think Giant) The headtube/ toptube junction is pretty large in diameter, then it "necks down" to a slightly smaller diameter, about three inches away from the junction. Supposedly, the frame is internally butted as well. There are other places on the frame that are like this, as well. Pretty cool stuff, but not earth shattering, from a frame tech standpoint.
I would love to see some of the new GF ACDC stuff on 29ers but i guess it wont happen this year to maybe next? Oh and The Rig is in my future as my first 29er.

-TS

·
Registered
261 Posts
Trek/Gary/Bont/Klein board

There's a thread over on the Trek/Fisher board that has a link to all the specs and a pic of the "Rig" check it out. I hate disc bikes with canti studs !

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
Price?

Thanks for the report.

The Paragon ad in the '2005 GF Paragon 29' thread says suggested retail $1250, and here it's stated that MSRP is $1539.99?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts