Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I would like to get a santa cruz heckler and I want to put one of the folowing forks on it, after doing some researc I saw that these are the ones people like the most but people have equal oppinions on both of them.

I will be getting the rlc model and I understand that the talas is more expensive and also has more ajustability then the vanilla.

Can anyone help me out on wich of the folowing I should get? Also does anyone have any other fork that might work out as well as these 2?

Thanks!

Jack

·
Registered
350 Posts
the talas is more adjustable. you can adjust the travel and since it is an air shock you can more finely tune it for your weight and riding style. I have heard it has more of a linear feel to it, like a coil shock, than most other air forks. But the talas has to be sent into Fox every season or two for servicing. The vanilla uses a coil spring so you have to switch the springs out to adjust to your weight. It is a considerably cheaper fork though. I have a vanilla rlc 130 and i love it. you can adjust the travel on it, but not trailside like the talas. if you don't mind paying the extra money and having more of a possibility for maintence then get the talas. I went the cheaper route and i am enjoying it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Alright thanks allot for the info, I will be speccing it on a heckler wich is already costing me close to 4000$ so the extra few hundred dollars doesn't baughter me, I like having the trailside travel ajust because for the type of ridding I will be doing this will be a very good feature for me because I will be doing mostly trail ridding and aggressive xc with some uphills, downhills and 2-3 ft jumps so I can ajust the travel as I need it, but you say the talas needs more maintenance right? The maintenance is something to look for for me because I don't like to do that much maintenance but with an expensive bike like this I will be getting my local bike shop to fully service it for me because every summer with costs me 120$. Withought the maintenance issue, and price not mattering to me, wich would you say is the better fork for me? What are the major differences between the 2 other then ajustability, maintenance and price?

Thanks!

Jack

·
Registered
464 Posts
is it really every year?

I'm also shopping around and the TALAS is at the top of my list. Is it really every year that you need to send it off for maintainance, or could you maybe stretch it out over a year and a half or so? If I can time it so that I send the fork to the States in winter then it would be much less of a drag.

Cheers, Duncan

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
According to DGC, Talas cartridge doesn't really need service until the 18th month mark, even full two years.

As of the Heckler, I don't think that any of the Fox 32mm offerings are a good match for the Hecker at all. This is a bike that's meant to take serious abuse, these forks are not. Fox tries to sell them as all mountain, light freeride capable forks, but I completely disagree. I used to ride a Vanilla on my Turner Burner and had it set to 105mm. I was in love with that fork. I got a 5 Spot and got the 2005 version, 130mm, RLC and all. I started picking up speed, got more confident on a lot of sketchy stuff and Vanilla was very flexy, VERY FLEXY. I opted for the Z1 and I am a much happier man. I went riding in Moab with a guy on a Heckler and saw what that bike could take, and there is no way I would ever consider putting a Vanilla nor a Talas nor a Float on there (Talas, in addtion, has a very bad tendency to blow though its travel). He had the 05 Z1, 150mm, which might be a bit on a tall end, but that fork was impressive. I hear that 05 Shermans are very sweet and so are AM1s and Z1s. Pike appears to be very easy to bottom out, so if you're planning on doing big drops, I would not recommend it.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i was in the same boat you were about 2 weeks ago. i bought my heckler and was stuck between those 2 forks. I ended up riding both and i have to tell you the vanilla and heckler are a match made in heaven. i do xc and dh so i just swap springs, it takes me three minutes and i can ave a totally different feel to suit my riding. With the unparelled smoothness and now adjustablility, you just cant beat the vanilla in my eyes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! Thanks allot for all your help guys, mk The heckler I will be building up won't be taking a whole lot of abuse, I am getting it because I am affraid of breaking the blur because I will be making some small 2-3 foot jumps but will mostly be using it for trails and agressive xc. The heckler can take abuse but if you were gonna do some actual freeride then thats what the bullit is for. I think that the fox's with their 130 mm's of travel should be able to hold up easily to the riding I will be doing. I want a fork wich is light but high enuff traval to take some hits but withought adding allot of weight onto my bike, and I would also like a fork wich has ajustible travel and lockout so I can switch the travel or lock it out depending on what type of ridding i'm doing at that time. I have heard great things about both these forks the vanilla and the talas and with the talas being a quarter pound lighter and ajustible travel I was leaning more towards that one as the vanilla is ajustible but only on the inside and the talas is ajustible with a knob on the outside. Cdub, do you have any reasons why the vanilla is better?

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Between the Vanilla and the Talas, Vanilla is a more capable hard riding fork. Talas, as the name indicates has an Linear Air Spring. White on paper this sounds great, in practice it is so linear that if you set it up for general riding it will bottom out very easily on any type of larger impact. This is where the plain Float, in my opinion, is better than the Talas, because if its progressive nature, meaning that it ramps up toward the bottom of the stroke and resists bottoming. Vanilla, in addition to being much harder to bottom out, tracks the ground much better, absorbs small bumps better and high speed chatter. It is plusher. As of a lockout, that feature is useless on a 5" travel fork. I really don't like hammering on a locked out 5" fork, I prefer the sag and the unavoidable bob.

_MK

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
MK_ said:
Between the Vanilla and the Talas, Vanilla is a more capable hard riding fork. Talas, as the name indicates has an Linear Air Spring. White on paper this sounds great, in practice it is so linear that if you set it up for general riding it will bottom out very easily on any type of larger impact. This is where the plain Float, in my opinion, is better than the Talas, because if its progressive nature, meaning that it ramps up toward the bottom of the stroke and resists bottoming. Vanilla, in addition to being much harder to bottom out, tracks the ground much better, absorbs small bumps better and high speed chatter. It is plusher. As of a lockout, that feature is useless on a 5" travel fork. I really don't like hammering on a locked out 5" fork, I prefer the sag and the unavoidable bob.

_MK
I have both an '05 TALAS RLC and an '03 Vanilla RL and I'm just going to have to disagree with you.

The TALAS is an air spring and is in fact not quite linear. It ramps up at the end of travel. It's hard to bottom it--at least for me. Anyone bottoming it frequently should pump in more air, turn up the compression, or both. The Vanilla is a coil and is exactly linear. I've run into exactly the same dip-bump combination with both forks at high speed and the Vanilla will bottom and the TALAS will not. And the TALAS feels nicer doing it even though it does not travel as far.

As for small bumps, ground tracking, and high speed chatter, I thought they were about the same. Then I got the TALAS PUSHed and now it's way better in all those respects. And now it has an adjustable platform option that can be turned completely off. I find that feature much more useful than a lockout.

And of course the TALAS is adjustable in height. Not exactly "on the fly" adjustable, but quick nevertheless.

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Well, comparing any pre 2005 Fox to the current model is going to yield unfavorable review for the older one. Fox really got the compression adjustment working this year. I can't disagree than 05 talas feels better than 03 Vanilla, especially modified by Push Industires, that's just unfair ;), but 05 Vanilla is better than 05 Talas in all the things I mentioned in my post as was the case in 03 and 04.

_MK

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! Thanks allot for all your help guys, mk The heckler I will be building up won't be taking a whole lot of abuse, I am getting it because I am affraid of breaking the blur because I will be making some small 2-3 foot jumps but will mostly be using it for trails and agressive xc. The heckler can take abuse but if you were gonna do some actual freeride then thats what the bullit is for. I think that the fox's with their 130 mm's of travel should be able to hold up easily to the riding I will be doing. I want a fork wich is light but high enuff traval to take some hits but withought adding allot of weight onto my bike, and I would also like a fork wich has ajustible travel and lockout so I can switch the travel or lock it out depending on what type of ridding i'm doing at that time. I have heard great things about both these forks the vanilla and the talas and with the talas being a quarter pound lighter and ajustible travel I was leaning more towards that one as the vanilla is ajustible but only on the inside and the talas is ajustible with a knob on the outside. Cdub, do you have any reasons why the vanilla is better?
Ya i got some reasons. first it is proven that a coil will handle more abuse, require less maintenence, last longer, and be plusher. While the TALAS does have adjustable travel, which sounded great to me, when you crank it down to lets say 4" the geometry becomes so different that i could not ride it without the 5" travel. The bike for some reason felt unstable which is very incharacteristic of the Heckler. and while i have lockout, me and a few others have found that the Heckler does not respond well to lockout for some reason. Like climbing a paved or even dirt hill it makes it harder for some unknown reason, but i can assure you it does. i wish i could let you ride a Heckler with both forks and then you would be set on a vanilla. The money had no factor for me when deciding forks, it was just an unexpected bonus to this already great fork. Good Luck.

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
MK_ said:
Well, comparing any pre 2005 Fox to the current model is going to yield unfavorable review for the older one. Fox really got the compression adjustment working this year. I can't disagree than 05 talas feels better than 03 Vanilla, especially modified by Push Industires, that's just unfair ;), but 05 Vanilla is better than 05 Talas in all the things I mentioned in my post as was the case in 03 and 04.

_MK
I concede I haven't ridden the '05 Vanilla.

But what has been changed, as I understand it, is the damper, not the TALAS spring. And the dampers are the same on the Vanillas and the air shocks. You were essentially claiming that the TALAS spring is too linear. Well the Vanilla is completely linear and you can't get any more linear than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.