Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have been looking at a new bike and my LBS has a 2005 Dakar XC Expert at a very good price. I don't mind that it is last years model. Has anyone had any problems with their Dakar XC's. I have ridden a bunch of bikes and am getting more confused but the Dakar has the best components for the price? I am looking at a 15" frame since I have really short legs. That rules out the XLT since I have no standover on it.
Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do It!

I've been riding a Dakar XC Comp since May '05 and love it. You are right in your observation that Jamis offers a good value with componentry. The bike also handles well and is a decent climber. The Expert has the carbon bits and the Fox fork and after all I have put in to getting my Comp dialed in, I wish I had just gone with the next model up. I say you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 XC Comp

I purchased a 2005 this year in May at what my LBS said was his cost (around $2200). I have been very happy w/ the ride and no complaints. I live in Utah and have ridden it in just about all conditions. I did replace the stock Hutchison tires right away for a more aggressive tread. Once I had my shocks set up, I have had very little need for adjustment, nor do I use the lock out on the rear. I would recommend you have your dealer help you w/ that initially. I'm not a serious downhiller, so the travel has been fine for me and a huge improvement over my old Pro-Flex! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 XC Expert

Correction- I do have an Expert Model, not the Comp. I had the same standover problem w/ the XLT and the 16" XC works well for me (32" standover). I shopped around and it was between the XC and the Stumpjumper Comp where standover is no problem at all w/ curved downtube, but I love the XT shifters and D's, so it seemed like a better deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.