Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic hasn't been visited since November, as best I can tell.

I never did whittle my time down to a sub 12 minutes last fall as intended, and I'm starting fresh and was happy to post a sub 15 today. Just need to get myself in gear and work at it. (To be fair, I caught up with another rider past the first bench, and slowed to chat with him, but I don't think I would have been much under 14:30 if I hadn't).

So...

(1) Can we standardize some points to calculate split times? I'm thinking one at the saddle, where the trail transitions from overlooking the golf course to overlooking Redwood Road -- but this is ambiguous, so maybe I'll need to bang a survey stake with a pink ribon tied to it in an appropriate location. The second obvious point is the first bench. These are typically my 6 minute and 9 minute marks. Any other locations? Like the big drainage rut? What about something earlier?

(2) To stay current, what say we drop the $6 burger and make the new prize a cup of Wendy's chili? Much healthier for the aspiring TT champion.

(3) To keep with the new prize, you must be wearing full-finger gloves to post a qualifying time!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, were you the guy in the yellow jersey? I rode up the Brandon Grade today at my personal best of 14:40. I was stuck at 15:30 for a long, long time. Just shows that it pays to ride more consistently. My husband meant to go to one of the TT's but I don't think he's made it there yet.

Erin

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E.Ambrose said:
Hey, were you the guy in the yellow jersey?
Nope, I was wearing orange.

I haven't been to an "official" event but always clock myself up that hill. It wasn't until this TT was suggested last year that I began to push myself harder to shave minutes.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,640 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Nope, I was wearing orange.

I haven't been to an "official" event but always clock myself up that hill. It wasn't until this TT was suggested last year that I began to push myself harder to shave minutes.
My new job is in the south bay, so I can't participate in the TT weekday climbs anymore. My personal best was 13:50 or close to that, but I attained it on a perfect day. It was in the low 70s, and we had about 10 slow riders that started ahead of us, so that we were chasing people all the way up. That alone shaved probably 30sec of the time I would have achieved without them. I haven't been able to replicate that time ever since.

Chester is the TT organizer, so he should be the one keeping track of the score. As for David, we wondered the whole time if he actually existed since he never made it to the TT. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Keep reporting those Brandon-Chabot Hill Climb times

Speedub.Nate said:
This topic hasn't been visited since November, as best I can tell.

I never did whittle my time down to a sub 12 minutes last fall as intended, and I'm starting fresh and was happy to post a sub 15 today. Just need to get myself in gear and work at it. (To be fair, I caught up with another rider past the first bench, and slowed to chat with him, but I don't think I would have been much under 14:30 if I hadn't).

So...

(1) Can we standardize some points to calculate split times? I'm thinking one at the saddle, where the trail transitions from overlooking the golf course to overlooking Redwood Road -- but this is ambiguous, so maybe I'll need to bang a survey stake with a pink ribon tied to it in an appropriate location. The second obvious point is the first bench. These are typically my 6 minute and 9 minute marks. Any other locations? Like the big drainage rut? What about something earlier?

(2) To stay current, what say we drop the $6 burger and make the new prize a cup of Wendy's chili? Much healthier for the aspiring TT champion.

(3) To keep with the new prize, you must be wearing full-finger gloves to post a qualifying time!!!
Good to hear that you and others are using the Chabot-Brandon Time Trial Hill Climb as a reference point in your fitness training. I always found it was a good indicator of fitness and it was nice to have a set short distance/climb that everyone could relate to and discuss.
Too many of the other loops and climbs have so many variables, such that everyone is discussing apples and oranges.
Now to your points...

1. I have always used the split times at the 1st bench which is a little over 60% (61-62%) of the way up......and then used the second bench as the most easily identified finish line, for our time trials.
(Actually lots of people use the "last tree on the left" as the official finish since it is right next to the fireroad. The last tree on the left is about 10-12 seconds before the 2nd bench, depending on your speed. I also liked it because it allowed me to hit my goal time, whereas the 2nd bench put me a bit over.)
Anyway, during our Time Trials last year, we used the 2nd bench as the finish/collapse line. Besides, everyone needed a bench to sit on or lean against while gasping for air.
I'm sure there could be a point about 1/3 of the way up the climb that might be another split point, but I never developed one.

2. Regarding dropping the $6 Burger and replacing it with a bowl of Wendys chili as the prize.........I don't know about replacing it with the chili but we have to drop the Carls Jr. Double Six Dollar burger because the the coupon was used since it expired 12/31/04.
Now, I still do have a 12/31/2005 Carls Jr BBQ Chicken Sandwich coupon and from looking at their "nutrition" site, I find it very low in saturated fat so it would be a healthy substitute as well.
Note......I also still have (somewhere) the 1 quart jar of Best Foods mayonaise coupon with "no expiration date".......but I will have to look around for it. So thats a second prize option...
And just for variety I have two (2) coupons for free meals at the famous "Mr Chau's" Chinese fast food restaurants. I could possibly throw those into the prize pool.
Additionally I'm sure we can come up with other equally valuable prizes that others have around their house...
Or perhaps we can entice one or more of the local CV/Hay bike shops to throw in some interesting option.... Free patch kit, bottle of lube, or a complete XTR group :)

A few notes about the present hill climb conditions. I've had a neck/nerve/C6-C7 disk injury/aggravation and as such have only gone up that climb once since December.
About early April I went up intending a good workout push, but found not only was the normal road a bit rougher, but about 1/3 of the way up, right after that short barren rock steeper section, that the expected flat speed zone section was so full of ruts and bumps that it really slowed down one's speed. Gets you out of your "flow" and makes pedaling choppy as the tires break contact. I'm not sure exactly how the conditions are here at the end of April but I imagine as we go through May, faster paths will begin to develope.
However, in fairness to yourself, you might give yourself some time handicap compared to the faster track we had last August. Normally early Spring after it dries and late fall after rain hardens the dust are the fastest times. This year, the trail may actually be faster about a month after they grind it up and it settles back down.....having removed those ruts.
Just some factors to keep in mind as you compare your times now to those of last year.
Bottom line is that last August the climb was faster than it is now.

I don't know when I'll be able to do the climb uninjured, but if people want to have a Wed. time trial I'll show up with coupons.......and be spectator at the very least. I'm very fit but even small bumps aggravate my neck so I'm out on the roads.......finding an endless supply of road riders willing/incentivised to go very fast up hills ( with a old geezer mtn biker on their heels) :p

Anyway, regardless of when we have the next official Chabot-Brandon Hill Climb Time Trial, I think its nice that in the interim people post their times and improvements on that climb here, such that it creates a common interest and reference point. A benchmark for all of us to evaluate our own progress. A shared common interest.
Then when a actual Time Trial takes place, more people will be intested and join in, to see how they stack up.

Who knows.........even the mysterious and elusive "D. Ambrose" may show up :cool:

I also encourage more folks in the 50+ age group to give it a go.......

Keep training......it gets faster and faster as you get fitter and fitter and as your mind begins to welcome the pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.