Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of these would be a better bike for trails and jumps etc. Nothing huge yet just to start and play with urban stuff like coming off ledges and playing on Virgina Creeper and IC King stuff. Pricing will be about the same for either bike. Thanks.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
72RATCAMARO said:
Which one of these would be a better bike for trails and jumps etc. Nothing huge yet just to start and play with urban stuff like coming off ledges and playing on Virgina Creeper and IC King stuff. Pricing will be about the same for either bike. Thanks.
If the Gemini is in good shape, it will beat the Yukon hands down. The Yukon is an entry level full suspension bike oriented more toward XC (cross country), while the Gemini is a freeride bike designed to take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2005 Cannondale Gemini 3000 Full Suspension Mtn. Bike

200 mm Marzocchi Super Pro Bomber Dual Crown Front Fork
Manitou Swinger SPV 4-Way Coil Rear Shock
Hayes 8 Inch Disc Brakes
WTB Laser Saddle
Mavic D321 Disc Rims w/ Maxxis Tires
Upgraded Hollowtech Triple Crank For Increased Climbing Ability
LX Deore Front Derailleur
XT Deore Rear Derailleur
9 Speed Rear Cog
FUNN Handle Bar
Time clipless pedals

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
72RATCAMARO said:
2005 Cannondale Gemini 3000 Full Suspension Mtn. Bike

200 mm Marzocchi Super Pro Bomber Dual Crown Front Fork
Manitou Swinger SPV 4-Way Coil Rear Shock
Hayes 8 Inch Disc Brakes
WTB Laser Saddle
Mavic D321 Disc Rims w/ Maxxis Tires
Upgraded Hollowtech Triple Crank For Increased Climbing Ability
LX Deore Front Derailleur
XT Deore Rear Derailleur
9 Speed Rear Cog
FUNN Handle Bar
Time clipless pedals
My GF rides a 2006 C'Dale Gemini. It's a solid bike with lots of potential to grow with. --IF you have enough downhill trails to use a bike with so much travel, because it's not the most efficient peddler out there for trail rides

The Yukon is a good choice if you want to casually razz around on buff trails and head to the corner store. Not a good choice for aggressive riding, or jumping

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
72RATCAMARO said:
well I want to do both. I want a bike I can ride to work and around town and jump off decent stuff probably about max 10 foot drop downs
They always want to do it all;)

The Gemini will get you around the trails with a little pushing, still tackle a lot more than you're going to do for a while in downhill, I like a hardtail for city riding, but again the C'dale will get the job done.

Why compare such different bikes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
because the price is the same for either bike. I understand the giant is entry level and I will have to upgrade because I like to go bigger and bigger. I have already found the first jump I am going off and its about a 7 foot step down into flat grass so I dont want something that will break.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
72RATCAMARO said:
because the price is the same for either bike. I understand the giant is entry level and I will have to upgrade because I like to go bigger and bigger. I have already found the first jump I am going off and its about a 7 foot step down into flat grass so I dont want something that will break.
Get the C'dale. Sounds like a good price if it's near the yukon price, but if you can make sure you inspect it pretty closely

Brake pads, tires, drivetrain, all the welds for cracks, straight wheels etc

Happy hucking, but 7ft is big for a first jump

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
7ft onto FLAT!?

That will murder most DH frames.... You want a nice gentle slope down to land onto, going straight to flat will murder your frame (massive massive stresses).

I wouldnt start that big, but each to their own - but please dont condemn a bike to the scrapyard by trying to land to flat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rode all the time in school from the time I was 14 on a hardrock comp. I was clearing 25 stairs and landing on a second set of 3 stairs. I am not worried about the height of the jumps just dont want to bust anything. I am a car guy and dont know anything about inspecting a bike. But I figure for the price I am getting it for I can afford to have my LBS go over it for me.

With the stuff that is on the bike is it good like the wheels and gears etc I think he added it on but I dont know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.