Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Slightly different geometry, longer stroke and i2i shock on the 07, asymmetrical stay on the 07, different rockers, 07 is lighter weight, different drop-out pivot location, iscg mounts missing on the 07.

Might have missed a few

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
this thread at the top in the stickies may help....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=229397

the weight diff is half a pound if you compare air shock and air shock or coil and coil on each frame - top tubes are shorter for each size - eg. at 5.11 I ride a Medium 06 RFX and would ride a Large 07 RFX. The TNT rear is stffer than the 05 Pack Horst too...plenty of riders are giving the 07's lots of abuse with no issues it seems.....

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
what everybody else said.... plus:

Having owned an older RFX, the changes Turner made to the leverage and suspension for '07 really make it a different bike. You can run a lighter spring which makes the shock easier to tune, less prone to bob, and more compliant on small bumps. The suspension is also more progressive so it's less prone to bottoming. On top of all this the '07's have .4" more travel- which you will only use on your biggest hits due to the progressive feel.

Oh yeah and the BB is a good bit lower, although nobody wants to believe that. :confused:

All in all, the frames look similar but the '07's ride differently I think. I am very happy with mine!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The Pack would be a more burly frame than the '07 RFX as stated before. The Pack was around before the Highline, so I reckon it was designed to take on more freeride duty than the new RFX is designed for. I have an '06 RFX with Horst rear, and I find it the perfect weapon for all the trails up here on the North Shore. I certainly wouldn't want anything lighter weight....

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fantastic responses so far gentlemen, thanks.
tidybeard - i am indeed the T_L_R from STW, but this forum is a breath of fresh technical air........

simon.

ps - keep those responses coming.......

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
.Danno. said:
Another factor to consider is the sizing differences. I've got a medium 05 Pack that fits me perfectly, whereas with the 07's my preferred size would be between med and large.
That is true. Danno, how tall are you?

The '06 sizes were sort of like 16/18/20" proportional frames whereas the '07's are more like 15/17/19/21".

Better or worse? Just depends on your height and inseam I guess.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
FM said:
That is true. Danno, how tall are you?

The '06 sizes were sort of like 16/18/20" proportional frames whereas the '07's are more like 15/17/19/21".

Better or worse? Just depends on your height and inseam I guess.
5'11" with a 34" inseam. No huge deal, but the seat tube is a bit short on the 17", and the TT is a bit long on the 19".

I've really grown to like shorter bikes and I wouldn't really want to go with a longer TT than my medium Pack. It's not like I could go with a shorter stem either because I'm already at 45mm.

I've got a large Spot that works perfectly for XC/AM stuff, but that's not what I use the Pack for. My Pack's ~40lbs and it pretty much sees nothing but really steep stuff, hucks, and jumping. Even set up with the short stem, and the fairly heavy weight I still find it climbs surprisingly well. No complaints from me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
.Danno. said:
5'11" with a 34" inseam. No huge deal, but the seat tube is a bit short on the 17", and the TT is a bit long on the 19".
Interesting... I would think a large (19") would fit you pretty well. But I hear what you are saying, you would use it for more FR stuff. I'm using mine as a trail bike, I wanted the longer TT so I could run a short stem and still have it be my preferred bike for long climbs.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
I had an 05 for a year, and replaced it with an 07, and my 07 is holding up to the same abuse that the 05 tolerated just fine. The 07 may have lost a half pound, but it did not lose any structural integrity.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
FM said:
Interesting... I would think a large (19") would fit you pretty well. But I hear what you are saying, you would use it for more FR stuff. I'm using mine as a trail bike, I wanted the longer TT so I could run a short stem and still have it be my preferred bike for long climbs.
It would, but I'm really not looking to make it any longer.

BTW, the Pack/RFX is really a pretty capable bike. I get ride pretty much anything on my Pack that I can ride on my DH bike. The only place it really loses out is super steep rollers because of the head angle, and large drops due to the limited travel.

G

·
I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and ride a medium RFX. The medium seems a tab bit small, but when I am killing some downhill, it feels like the perfect size. A lot of the size decision depends on what type of terrain you are riding. If you are going cross-country, then the larger frame is cool, but if you are doing any type of serious downhill, which is a big part of cross-country riding, then if that bike is a bit too big then you are fcked.

Nothing worse than being on a bike that is a bit large on a downhill trail. Pain . . . pain, . . . pain and broken balls.

Chow

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Andykiller said:
I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and ride a medium RFX. The medium seems a tab bit small, but when I am killing some downhill, it feels like the perfect size. A lot of the size decision depends on what type of terrain you are riding. If you are going cross-country, then the larger frame is cool, but if you are doing any type of serious downhill, which is a big part of cross-country riding, then if that bike is a bit too big then you are fcked.

Nothing worse than being on a bike that is a bit large on a downhill trail. Pain . . . pain, . . . pain and broken balls.

Chow
Yes and No.... :rant:

One of the reasons I ditched my previous ride was that i wanted a longer wheelbase. My highline got me used to riding with a longer wheelbase and now that I've adjusted my riding style, I really like it. The shorter wheelbase bikes I've owned kinda struggled at holding lines on skinnies and at high speeds. This was key in my decision to go with a large vs. medium, and sure enough I am loving how the longer frame handles on the DH. :thumbsup:

shorter wheelbases are easier to control when airborn tho, and on slow techy climbs.

The large RFX has a 19mm of top tube length that the medium doesn't. Stems come in 20mm increments. So my choice was to buy a large and run a 50-65mm stem, instead of going medium and maybe having to run a 90mm and have a shorter WB too. It was the right choice for me, 2 of the first four rides were in whistler bike park, the '07 large was rocking.

For the record, I'd take something in between (i.e. 18" ST, 23.4" tt, '07 features) if it would have been an option.

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
from the sounds of it, it looks like i'll edge towards a Large 07 RFX (6' tall, 34" inseam).
my current '06 6 pack is a large too, although i'd like to lose a bit of frame weight and gain the extra (0.2") of travel, never mind get a new frame ;-0
i also found the following on STW :

This year's RFX has also had some major work done to it. The old version was still much in the same vein as the 6 Pack - a chunky freeride frame with weight to match. The new RFX is a totally different beast, having moved away from pure freeride into the land of all mountain. The angles have been tightened up to speed up the handling for more XC based riding and the DHX coil shock is gone in favour of a DHX Air. The 6.4in travel rear end also runs a lower leverage ratio to better suit the air shock and has had the same treatment as the 5.5 Spot to stiffen it up both torsionally and laterally. Weight is down by 1.5lbs to 7.2lbs overall, meaning it should be a little less painful to get up hills than the decidedly downhill focus of the Six Pack we tested in the Alps a while back. With the latest generation of long travel, lightweight forks and a high end build, the RFX may almost make the 6in travel all-round trail bike seem realistic, but in truth it's still probably for the more aggressive riders out there. Sizes and price are the same as the Sultan and 5.5 Spot but you can get it in polished emerald green or polished bronze anodised.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.