Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have a break like this? Any idea if it is worth asking about a replacement with the age? Think Turner still has triangles available?

UPDATE:
I finally got around to stripping the bike down today and saw the longer stroke shock I installed allowed the stays to wack the frame and rip the seat tube apart. I had forgotten I changed the shock due to the bushings on the original Romic squeaking like heck.

Last time I put a longer stroke shock on a bike it was single pivot and the tire rubbed the seat tube, no big deal.

Live and learn.....

Attachments

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Thank you for posting on the MTBR Turner Forum.
As you may know, all future frame design and warranty claim decisions will be handled by the MTBR turner forum.
Unfortunately, your warranty claim has been denied.
Thank you,
The MTBR Turner Forum.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
FM said:
Thank you for posting on the MTBR Turner Forum.
As you may know, all future frame design and warranty claim decisions will be handled by the MTBR turner forum.
Unfortunately, your warranty claim has been denied.
Thank you,
The MTBR Turner Forum.
Hoping you other 5,982 posts aren't as useless as this :rolleyes:

mhykhelle-
I think that is where dirdir broke his. Call Turner and chances are very good you'll come away smiling :thumbsup:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Since youve posted and asked :eekster:

Be interesting to see the outcome on this one, I'm playing with that shock on my RFX but its a stronger seat tube than the Spot.

Still like to see a better shot of shock looks like allot of compression on that spring, there were allot of similar incidents with that shock on bikes [not turners Im aware of though] pre 04 mainly due to incorrect spring rate so lots of compression wound on but that loads up the frame and usually in that area? more than 3 turns of the compression ring and you need to up ya spring rate, still only Qs 4 years on it may be just fatigue otherwise likely to have happened earlier or you've put on poundage ovr the years lol!

And what fork are you running looks like a Lyrik.

Keep updated on outcome..:thumbsup:

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
It looks like maybe just the paint is cracked. You should sand off the area and get a better look before you start talking about frame failure.:skep:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dibbs_ said:
Email Turner, they will sort you out.
Thanks.

Did that yesterday, but figure I will the classic shine on, so wanted to see if anyone had experienced such a break as mine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dirtbag said:

mhykhelle-
I think that is where dirdir broke his. Call Turner and chances are very good you'll come away smiling :thumbsup:
Hey man, I will call them on Monday. I figured I'd get a few wankers like the other guy, but I ma impressed with positive attitude of most of the replies.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trailadvent said:
Since youve posted and asked :eekster:

Be interesting to see the outcome on this one, I'm playing with that shock on my RFX but its a stronger seat tube than the Spot.

Still like to see a better shot of shock looks like allot of compression on that spring, there were allot of similar incidents with that shock on bikes [not turners Im aware of though] pre 04 mainly due to incorrect spring rate so lots of compression wound on but that loads up the frame and usually in that area? more than 3 turns of the compression ring and you need to up ya spring rate, still only Qs 4 years on it may be just fatigue otherwise likely to have happened earlier or you've put on poundage ovr the years lol!

And what fork are you running looks like a Lyrik.

Keep updated on outcome..:thumbsup:
The bike came stock with the Romic if I recall correctly (Romic also sponsored that year...). Not really any heavy preload on a 500# spring with me at ~200# with gear.

Lyrik Solo. Pretty nice for an air fork. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
686 Posts
mhykhelle said:
The bike came stock with the Romic if I recall correctly (Romic also sponsored that year...). Not really any heavy preload on a 500# spring with me at ~200# with gear.

Lyrik Solo. Pretty nice for an air fork. thanks for the input.
Have you checked your Private Messages?

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Sorry about that. It's my fault.

I started buying Ellsworth frames back around 2001 and this really starting happening.

Then I went to Turner.

I'll protect you by not switching to a DW link bike.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well heck, a phone call was worth it!

dirtbag said:

mhykhelle-
Spoke ot Greg in warranty and a new trainagle is on the way to powder coat and then into the mail! He says the '08 will work with the rear end, so I am stoked.

Thanks RJ!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
dirtbag said:
agreed....FM, among others, are a waste of e-space; nothing more annoying than poseurs with high post counts with zero contribution to the mtbr community

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Glad it worked out for you mhykhelle. :thumbsup:
I guess maybe contacting the manufacturer directly works after all! :idea:
Turner is generous with their warranty, as your bike was probably not "officially" covered with the custom length shock and all.

FoShizzle said:
agreed....FM, among others, are a waste of e-space
Hey you can always put me on your ignore list. Just for you, Fo!

wes

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
So are you telling me you put an incorrect shock on the bike, which attributed to the failure, and yet the manufacturer still honored the warranty? :confused: :confused:

Damn, I knew Turners warranty was good, but I am a bit surprised it is THAT good. :thumbsup: Turner :thumbsup:

mhykhelle said:
Anyone have a break like this? Any idea if it is worth asking about a replacement with the age? Think Turner still has triangles available?

UPDATE:
I finally got around to stripping the bike down today and saw the longer stroke shock I installed allowed the stays to wack the frame and rip the seat tube apart. I had forgotten I changed the shock due to the bushings on the original Romic squeaking like heck.

Last time I put a longer stroke shock on a bike it was single pivot and the tire rubbed the seat tube, no big deal.

Live and learn.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts