Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
law talkin' guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have creaking noises coming from the bottom bracket area of an XLT 2.0 or other Jamis models? I've had the shop look into this a couple times to no avail. It's definitely not the suspension, or pedals. The shop remove the crank arms and lubed, but the noise is still there.

Anyone think the bottom bracket on the 04 XLT is too low? I hit my pedals on so much stuff that I never hit with my other bikes (a raleigh hard tail and a 98 FSR Ground Control Extreme).

Additionally, I have a sliding seatpost problem which I've discussed on another thread. Still further, I have to inspect the pivots nearly every ride because two or three pivot bolts have loosened significantly resulting in noticble play and noise during my ride. Maybe Loctite needs to come standard with the bike. :)

Other problems include, a seized bottom bracket, and a very poorly adjusted rear hub, which may be damaged.

Still further, the bike seems to be especially susceptible to water. Even washing with a garden hose gets water into the frame. So, according to my LBS's recommendation it is not getting washed - I just knock or brush off the dirt after it has dried.

I have not been bad mouthing the bike to my friends, but I sure would not recommend it. In fact, after writing this thread, I doubt that I will ever purchase a Jamis product again and I will counsel my friends to look elsewhere.

Although the above-described problems are irritating. The primary reason I am now not a fan of Jamis is what I believe to be poor customer service. This is evidenced by the fact that my LBS has called Jamis about these issues and Jamis has provided absolutely no insight or suggestions on how to fix the problems. Their reply is always that they are not aware of any problem. But I don't think that is true. For example, from lurking on the board I know that Jamis keeps an eye on the board and they probably know they have an issue with sliding seatposts. Additionally, the latest issue of Dirt Rag pointed out the same problem on a Jamis bike they tested and the noted that the sliding was because the seat post clamp wore quickly and failed to provide sufficient clamping force. I mentioned this to the LBS so that he could ask Jamis about it and Jamis knew nothing. Come on, you know Jamis reads the reviews of its products. I would not mind the problems near as much if they would admit that there is a problem and offer a solution; whether the solution is, for example, a redesigned clamp, a new seat post. I just don't think I should have to buy a new clamp or post to solve their problem so it is a soda can shim for me.

In know this kinda turned into a long rant, sorry. If you've had similar problems or if you've had a positive experience, please feel to post a reply. Bottom line, I bought the Jamis because I thought it would provide great performance at a reasonable price, but the performance has not lived up to its potential.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Anyone have creaking noises coming from the bottom bracket area of an XLT 2.0 or other Jamis models? I've had the shop look into this a couple times to no avail. It's definitely not the suspension, or pedals. The shop remove the crank arms and lubed, but the noise is still there.
I had some bottom bracket noise on my down stroke. Cleaned and lubed and now I have no more noise.

Anyone think the bottom bracket on the 04 XLT is too low? I hit my pedals on so much stuff that I never hit with my other bikes (a raleigh hard tail and a 98 FSR Ground Control Extreme).
Yes, it does seem low. So far the low BB is my only complaint.

Additionally, I have a sliding seatpost problem which I've discussed on another thread. Still further, I have to inspect the pivots nearly every ride because two or three pivot bolts have loosened significantly resulting in noticble play and noise during my ride. Maybe Loctite needs to come standard with the bike
I use a Salsa seat post clamp and have no problems with my seat post sliding. I don't think I had any problems with the original seat post clamp. Maybe you have a little too much grease on your seat post? I have had only to tighten one pivot and only one time. All the rest are still nice and snug (after 600+ miles)

Other problems include, a seized bottom bracket, and a very poorly adjusted rear hub, which may be damaged.
Zero problems here. Everything seemed to be put together well and adjusted correctly. I am using different wheel sets then what came with it but the originals worked great before I swapped.

Still further, the bike seems to be especially susceptible to water. Even washing with a garden hose gets water into the frame. So, according to my LBS's recommendation it is not getting washed - I just knock or brush off the dirt after it has dried.
I don't wash my bike so I wouldn't know. I let the mud and dirt hardened and then I sweep it off with a hand broom. I do ride a lot in the rain (love that Pacific Northwest weather) and my bike does get drenched while on top of the car but I haven't had any water problems either.

I have not been bad mouthing the bike to my friends, but I sure would not recommend it. In fact, after writing this thread, I doubt that I will ever purchase a Jamis product again and I will counsel my friends to look elsewhere.
Can't say that I blame you, with all the problems you seem to be having.

Although the above-described problems are irritating. The primary reason I am now not a fan of Jamis is what I believe to be poor customer service. This is evidenced by the fact that my LBS has called Jamis about these issues and Jamis has provided absolutely no insight or suggestions on how to fix the problems. Their reply is always that they are not aware of any problem.
I have never dealt with Jamis's customer service. One of my riding buddies did crack his rear triangle on his 04 XLT 2.0. At first our LBS tried to call them and were told to email instead. Sounded odd but it worked. He was on his bike with a new RT in 4 days. I have heard mixed reviews about their customer service so your experience doesn't surprise me. I just hope I do not have to find out first hand.

Bottom line, I bought the Jamis because I thought it would provide great performance at a reasonable price, but the performance has not lived up to its potential.
I feel just the opposite. The bike has lived up to my expectations and then some. I couldn't be happier.

With the bad experience you have had I wouldn't buy a Jamis again either. I hope it all works out for you.

·
law talkin' guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Thought about having too much grease on the post. There wasn't much, but I wiped essentially all of it off and that made no difference. The seatpost sliding has been an issue from almost the begining.

The LBS took of the cranks and lubed and it did not make a difference. My LBS said it is possible that something in the BB area may be out of alignment and that could be a cause for the creak. Next time I have a major problem, and based on my record thus far, I think there will be a next time soon, I'll have them check the alignment.

Hope you continue to have a good experience. After dropping that much money on a new bike, I am just plain disappointed with the quality.

·
Registered
28 Posts
full suspension woes

I think your shop needs to try harder. I would not let the bike leave unless I have that creaking noise GONE! I would go as far as disassembling all the pivots and checking the frame for cracks (if the creaking is that bad). I would also check all of the pivots conditions and see if any may need replacing. If no problems are found, cleaning and greasing the pivots could also solve creaking noises. A good shop will offer a free 30 day check up in which the mechanic will check over everything on the bike and ensure proper break in.

I also had bolts coming loose on my 2004 Dakar Pro, but it didn't take me or my local shop long to learn that a little locktite is all that is needed. Still, you must understand that your dual suspension bike is much higher maintenance than a hardtail for obvious reasons (many more moving parts). It is a mechanical device. There is torsion, flex, sounds, and wear. Checking your pivot bolts SHOULD be a part of your pre or post ride check over, especially if you ride hard (like me).

The siezed bottom bracket sounds like either it was poorly adjusted (dealer) or just a faulty TruVativ product. If the dealer is good, they would take one from stock and replace is ASAP. I would also have tried that from the get go to troubleshoot if the creaking problem was suspected to be the bottom bracket. Also, check to make sure the BB threads are greased, etc.

The poorly adjusted rear hub is the fault of your dealer. Hubs are among the first things, and most important, to be checked upon assembling the bike.

As far as washing, it's okay, just do it intelligently. Do not use high pressure. Only use the water if there is thick mud that requires water to remove it. Don't get anal and try to wash every streak and spot off. If you want it to shine, use Pedro's Bike Lust (excellent stuff) and a towel. Be careful around the bearings when hosing off your bike.(bottom bracket, hubs, headset, pivots, etc.) EVERY FRAME/BIKE IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO WATER! After your bike is dry, remove the seatpost and tip it upside down. You will see water come out of the seat tube, which is normal and not good if left in there. That water resting in your frame could be washing out your bottom bracket bearings as you ride. (NOT GOOD)

As for your problems with the seatpost clamp, try getting another one! I don't know who makes the Jamis QR clamps for them, but they do seem kinda cheesy. They just don't feel positive when you lock them down. The Salsa clamps are sweet and come in quick release (Flip-Lock $29.95) or threaded bolt (Lip-Lock $19.95). Does your dealer know you are p*ssed about it? If so, they should do what they can to hook you up or at least help you out with getting a new clamp. After all, you did pay $2100.00 on a bicycle from their shop. I'm not telling you to go there and expect them to kiss your feet but to at least help you properly set up the bike so it performs as it should.

Yes, Jamis has poor customer service. But now (hopefully) it is a thing of the past. They just hired a few new warranty departement guys. They now have more than one guy working the phone for warranties, so yes they are listening.

Finally, I hope I didn't anger you by being sorta frank. It's just that you have to understand that dualies are more maintenance. That is why there are still many who are hardtail loyals. Also, I don't mean to disrespect your dealer, but some of those problems sound like dealer prep to me. Again, if the creaking is really that bad, go to your dealer and tell them to take your bike, fix it, and that you don't want it back until the problem is solved.

P.S. Sometimes creaking drives you crazy when you can't find it. Sometimes the noise is really coming from the saddle rails, either where they attatch to the base of the seat or from the seatpost clamp. Spray some Tri Flow in these areas and grease the clamp area.

·
law talkin' guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I realize that FS requires more maintenance. I have FS for some years. This bikes suspension just seems to require more than I was used to. I don't mind keeping an eye on the pivots.

The shop said that they replaced the BB. But I have some doubts about this and exactly how hard he is pressing Jamis for solutions. To his credit he has told me to bring it back if it keeps creaking - its just a pain for me to get to the shop so I put up with it until something more dramatic comes up (e.g., the hub problem).

I've tried to get the shop to put on a salsa clamp subtlely, but I may have to demand it.

I'm sure that the creaking is coming form the BB area, not the pivots or saddle, but thanks for the suggestion and I'll try lubing everything again.

DestroyerOfSenses said:
I think your shop needs to try harder. I would not let the bike leave unless I have that creaking noise GONE! I would go as far as disassembling all the pivots and checking the frame for cracks (if the creaking is that bad). I would also check all of the pivots conditions and see if any may need replacing. If no problems are found, cleaning and greasing the pivots could also solve creaking noises. A good shop will offer a free 30 day check up in which the mechanic will check over everything on the bike and ensure proper break in.

I also had bolts coming loose on my 2004 Dakar Pro, but it didn't take me or my local shop long to learn that a little locktite is all that is needed. Still, you must understand that your dual suspension bike is much higher maintenance than a hardtail for obvious reasons (many more moving parts). It is a mechanical device. There is torsion, flex, sounds, and wear. Checking your pivot bolts SHOULD be a part of your pre or post ride check over, especially if you ride hard (like me).

The siezed bottom bracket sounds like either it was poorly adjusted (dealer) or just a faulty TruVativ product. If the dealer is good, they would take one from stock and replace is ASAP. I would also have tried that from the get go to troubleshoot if the creaking problem was suspected to be the bottom bracket. Also, check to make sure the BB threads are greased, etc.

The poorly adjusted rear hub is the fault of your dealer. Hubs are among the first things, and most important, to be checked upon assembling the bike.

As far as washing, it's okay, just do it intelligently. Do not use high pressure. Only use the water if there is thick mud that requires water to remove it. Don't get anal and try to wash every streak and spot off. If you want it to shine, use Pedro's Bike Lust (excellent stuff) and a towel. Be careful around the bearings when hosing off your bike.(bottom bracket, hubs, headset, pivots, etc.) EVERY FRAME/BIKE IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO WATER! After your bike is dry, remove the seatpost and tip it upside down. You will see water come out of the seat tube, which is normal and not good if left in there. That water resting in your frame could be washing out your bottom bracket bearings as you ride. (NOT GOOD)

As for your problems with the seatpost clamp, try getting another one! I don't know who makes the Jamis QR clamps for them, but they do seem kinda cheesy. They just don't feel positive when you lock them down. The Salsa clamps are sweet and come in quick release (Flip-Lock $29.95) or threaded bolt (Lip-Lock $19.95). Does your dealer know you are p*ssed about it? If so, they should do what they can to hook you up or at least help you out with getting a new clamp. After all, you did pay $2100.00 on a bicycle from their shop. I'm not telling you to go there and expect them to kiss your feet but to at least help you properly set up the bike so it performs as it should.

Yes, Jamis has poor customer service. But now (hopefully) it is a thing of the past. They just hired a few new warranty departement guys. They now have more than one guy working the phone for warranties, so yes they are listening.

Finally, I hope I didn't anger you by being sorta frank. It's just that you have to understand that dualies are more maintenance. That is why there are still many who are hardtail loyals. Also, I don't mean to disrespect your dealer, but some of those problems sound like dealer prep to me. Again, if the creaking is really that bad, go to your dealer and tell them to take your bike, fix it, and that you don't want it back until the problem is solved.

P.S. Sometimes creaking drives you crazy when you can't find it. Sometimes the noise is really coming from the saddle rails, either where they attatch to the base of the seat or from the seatpost clamp. Spray some Tri Flow in these areas and grease the clamp area.

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
I think you're overreacting...

Jamis doesn't build bottom brackets or rear hubs. If you have a problem with either one of those, it's purely the lbs' or the manufacturer's problem, not Jamis'. The lbs builds the wheelsets and installs the BB's, Jamis just spec's them.

Everyone knows that seatpost clamps are one of the last things to be considered when spec'ing a bike, so naturally they're cheap and usually less effective than an aftermarket one. Go buy a Salsa, the best, and quit complaining. That's what I did when mine slipped on my Pro.

The BB isn't too low either, it's 12.8 inches. Just about standard (13") for a 5"travel bike. Different pedal designs are more likely to strike than others, i.e.
a big wide platform compared to a Crank Bros Egg Beater.

Lastly, pivots (amongst other things) always, ALWAYS, come loose right of the shop. It's a given. I was pissed when my Pro came apart 10 miles out, but a little ingenuity got me back and Loctite keeps it together from now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts