Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2004 ellsworth truth and got it with the romic shock, i was just about to stick a Ti spring on when i thought i'd measure the stroke length and it measure at full stroke length of 1.5925" (full shaft minus the rubber bung length), but on reading the shock info its meant to be 2" shock length so that means i'll only get 3.2" of travel at full compression, the overall length is the stated 7.875" so i can't work out where the other 0.4" of stroke has gone. Does anyone know whats going on here, the last bike had had the same shock on it and i measured that and got the full 2" using the same measurements.

Another query is that i orderd the Ti spring from 123bikes.com, i got the same weight i had on my older bike as it had the same compression rate for travel and worked out i needed a 450 x 2" Ti spring (weight is 155lbs, 170 with full kit), but this feels way too soft, do i either need a 500 x 2" or have they sent the wrong spring, it does feel exactly the same as the 400 x 2.25" steel spring i removed?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Brannigan said:
I've got a 2004 ellsworth truth and got it with the romic shock, i was just about to stick a Ti spring on when i thought i'd measure the stroke length and it measure at full stroke length of 1.5925" (full shaft minus the rubber bung length), but on reading the shock info its meant to be 2" shock length so that means i'll only get 3.2" of travel at full compression, the overall length is the stated 7.875" so i can't work out where the other 0.4" of stroke has gone. Does anyone know whats going on here, the last bike had had the same shock on it and i measured that and got the full 2" using the same measurements.

Another query is that i orderd the Ti spring from 123bikes.com, i got the same weight i had on my older bike as it had the same compression rate for travel and worked out i needed a 450 x 2" Ti spring (weight is 155lbs, 170 with full kit), but this feels way too soft, do i either need a 500 x 2" or have they sent the wrong spring, it does feel exactly the same as the 400 x 2.25" steel spring i removed?
Not sure about the spring, but if your measuring the stroke without the spring on, the shock could be slightly compressed and there's no spring to fully extend it, try unweighting the rear wheel and pull the shock to fully extend it.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Brannigan said:

You have to include the "rubber bung thing" in your calculations. That rubber bumper will compress to a very thin disc on big hits. Yes, you'll get 3.2 before it hits the bumper, but you'll get the additional 0.8" on bigger hits.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Oh, OK, now I understand. Blue Shorts is right, I thought you meant you measured the shaft without the bumper. I did the same thing once and the shock had slightly compressed without the spring on it and didn't realize it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts