Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I know its here somewhere, I looked really but not that long.

My wife rides a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Female Specific Version, loves it. She has been hammering that thing for going on 5 years and I have never done anything to it except replace seals in rear shock.

Its been an awesome ride, We rode the Mt St Helen's Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham this morning and the bike started to make some noise that sounds like its coming from the rear suspension, creaking type noise. Went away after a while, but I think it high time I serviced that bad boy, er girl.

My bike is only a year and a half old and I have had to tear it down and regrease everything 2x already, of course its not a Specialized.....

Anyway, can anyone point me towards the posts I need to tear that thing apart and lube it up. Or is there info somewhere else? Any advice would be appreciated, wondering about bearings and all.

Thanks

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
The lower pivot bearings are seized. I'd bet money on it. 5 years w/o new bearings is a long time. After about a year the bearings on my '05 seized at the lower pivot and the rest of them felt crunchy.

Punching out the bearings in the shock link/lower pivot is easy. You can use wrench sockets and a mallet to get those out. The horst link bearings are not so easy. I followed these instructions: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=993666

Make sure to replace them with enduro bearings: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html
They'll sell you the whole kit and their bearings are higher quality than stock ones. It comes down to the amount of grease in them and what RPMs they're designed to run at. They also cost about the same.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Berk, you the man!

Thanks a bunch!

Got the bearing kit on the way from Enduro, I appreciate all the info. I will get into it this week, We hit Mountain Bike Oregon next week. Should get a couple rides in before the trip.

Thanks

Jeff and Dara

1 - 3 of 3 Posts