Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a guy got a 2004 Spot (with a Romic), put on PUSH rockers and a PUSHed RP23---what would he have? Basically the same as my 2007 Spot was (5 1/2" travel with an RP23) or are there fundamental differences in geometry between the two years that would make this rebuild of a 2004 "different"? Trying to make a 5.75" Burner on the cheap is what I'm after.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
inzane said:
Is an extra part of an inch of travel actually going to make any difference to how the bike rides and handles??
Well, 1.75" over my Burner. And, yes, that and geometry differences between the frames from 2004 and 2007 are (is) my question (s). And, oh yeah, the shock curve difference between the 2004's rockers and the PUSH rockers.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
close but

The 04 is of course a horst link as opposed to a foux bar single pivot; some say there is no difference, some (like myself) prefer the hl spot, some the TNT. I like my HL spot so mush I just blew it apart, had it powdercoated and built it to 25 lbs rather than buying a newer frame.
One caution about the Push rocker on some early spots is that the front derailure cable stop is on the back of the seat tube and the extra travel of the push rocker can allow the tire to hit the stop. Mine is one of these early frames but they may have solved that for 04.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S-Works said:
Didn't you just sell a spot??:confused:
A year ago. I was rummaging around my spare parts bin and came across a set of PUSH rockers that I'd gotten even before the Spot, you know, just in case. So instead of them just collecting dust forever I started fantasizing about throwing them on an older Spot frame if the frame's price was right. All in the spirit of experimentation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have an 2004, small 5 Spot with a PUSH'ed RP23 and PUSH rockers.

The '04 Spot has the front der. cable stop is at the back of the seat tube and does rub the tire (2.3 and larger) when you bottom out. So, you are limited to the size of tire you can run.

Another problem is that you will have to run the front der. higher because the bottom of the cage will hit the chainstay if you bottom out. When you raise your front der. this can affect your shifting quality. What I did was cut off a section from the bottom of the cage and re-weld it essentially making a short cage front der.
This helped to improve the shifting.
I should also note that I am only running 2 rings in the front (granny and middle).

ANOTHER issue, with my small Spot, is that there is not enough clearance between the Push rockers for my Salsa QR seatpost clamp when the bike gets close to the end of its travel.
I had to go back to the standard bolt clamp that came with the frame.

Adding the rockers does increase the BB height and I believe slackens the head angle.

Based on all of that I do not know if those issues will be evident on a Burner.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
wArden said:
Adding the rockers does increase the BB height and I believe slackens the head angle
Push rockers increase the bb height and STEEPENS the head angle. Turner's 5.5 rockers retain the stock geometry.
xcguy, what fork are you thinking about in this application?

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Renegade said:
Push rockers increase the bb height and STEEPENS the head angle. Turner's 5.5 rockers retain the stock geometry.
xcguy, what fork are you thinking about in this application?

Yeah, I was gonna say steepens. Either a 140 Pike (which I'd have to buy) or a spare 100-130 Revelation I have (I know, bad combination with a 5.75" rear travel but I have that fork). I also have a 20mm thru axle front wheel built up and gathering dust as well.

I'd love to have a magical insight into if this build I'm talking about would ride like my Burner with more travel (something I tried to do with the 2007 Spot) or would just ride like the 2007 Spot did (for my style not any better than the Burner). My Spot just didn't climb all that well, it was like my brakes were on.

As opposed to just saving my pennies for a '09 Spot. I KNOW it climbs better than my Burner!

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
FWIW, my '04 spot with turner's 5.5 rockers and Pike fork and stock shock bushings has a 68 degree head angle.
The reason I includede the reference to stock bushings is that the lower bushings in my rear shock has the bolt hole drilled off center, giving me a 67.5 deegree head angle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, it steepens the head angel if you use your original fork. When I got my rockers I went from a 5 inch travel fork to 6 inches.
I would think that if you set up the bike properly with the right fork to keep it balanced the head angel wouldn't change at all.
The bike would just sit higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts